:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who has water-meth experience?  (Read 8328 times)

hamburgler

Who has water-meth experience?
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:47 PM »

Reason I ask is because I'd like to know what size nozzle to start with, pressure to start with, mixture of water/meth to start with.  Just a reasonable estimate would be a good start.

My setup will consist of a stock LS motor at 10psi boost, all other junkyard parts.  Ive had a Snow Performance pump and controller sitting on the shelf that I never ended up using on my race car, so Im thinking about testing it out on my dd.

d-rail

Re: Who has water-meth experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:39:42 AM »

spiker has meth experience

That's mean.  :evil:

caged

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:26 AM »

www.alcohol-injection.com has a nozzle calculator. I use a 50/50 water/methylated spirit mix with a basic diy set up and I'm very happy with it.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

I have 24 gallons of -25*F windshield waster fluid (39% methanol by volume) in cases sitting in my living room as a table. I need WI to put this stuff to use.  :yes:
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

hamburgler

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »

www.alcohol-injection.com has a nozzle calculator. I use a 50/50 water/methylated spirit mix with a basic diy set up and I'm very happy with it.

And what size is/are your nozzle(s)?  What pressure is your pump running at?  At the moment I have (4) 50cc nozzles with the pump set at 150psi. 

I found that calculator, but it tells you the flow in gallons per hour (gph), how can you convert that to the size of nozzle you need?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »

Yeah when I was working in the retail parts we would try to sell out all of our winter wash.

I meet a guy who had a STS twin turbo set-up on a C5 and he was buying the Prestone wash for his water-meth inj.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

The only good thing about living in Canada, is that -50C windshield wash is easy to come by. The -40C stuff is 50/50 I have never looked to close at the -50 stuff.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

hamburgler

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »

The only good thing about living in Canada, is that -50C windshield wash is easy to come by. The -40C stuff is 50/50 I have never looked to close at the -50 stuff.

I live in Canada.  Peavy Mart here sells 1 gallon of 99.9% methanol for about $6.  Ill mix that up with tap water.  Doesn't washer fluid have dye and soap in it as well?  So its more 45 meth/45 water/5 soap/ 5 other admixtures?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

I live in Canada.  Peavy Mart here sells 1 gallon of 99.9% methanol for about $6.  Ill mix that up with tap water.  Doesn't washer fluid have dye and soap in it as well?  So its more 45 meth/45 water/5 soap/ 5 other admixtures?
What I've read and been told is that some tap water will cause the nozzle to clog, requiring you to either filter your tap water, clean the nozzle every few weeks, or run distilled water. Once I run out of washer fluid, I'll either buy more or find somewhere that sells distilled water for cheap and stock up.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »

Most grocery store sell gal jugs of distilled water for less than $1.00 in my area. :yes:

hamburgler

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

So if tap water is known to clog the nozzles, I can't see washer fluid being any better. 

Distilled water is a good idea.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »

So if tap water is known to clog the nozzles, I can't see washer fluid being any better. 

Distilled water is a good idea.

Well, it may be bullshit, I dunno. I've never even used WI... But I'd done a lot of research on it in the past and I read a few cases where people reported that tap water clogged their nozzles up. But I also read just as many cases where folks said they ran tap water and it worked fine. So.....

As for the washer fluid, I dunno. I can clean a nozzle once a month though if it's needed. I'd probably rather do that than pay for distilled water anyways.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »

I can garuntee if you use the tap water in my area it would clog passages up quick.  ;D

Too much minerals can not make a descent cup of coffee unless I at least run the water through filter pitcher. :yes:

hamburgler

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

I can garuntee if you use the tap water in my area it would clog passages up quick.  ;D

Too much minerals can not make a descent cup of coffee unless I at least run the water through filter pitcher. :yes:

Lol, small town or what? 

Anyways, what nozzle size should I start with? 50cc?  or (2) 50cc's?

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »

spiker has meth experience

Truth...

May have a kit in the slut in a minute....

Taking the car down to Art Morrison to have a main hoop bent for it.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »

Lol, small town or what? 

I run into this shit all over.  Our equipment uses tap water that gets pressurized into accumulators then released through regulators to blow shit up.  Anyway some plants it was only a few months before we had to rebuild all the internal components and install some pretty serious filters cause the tap water was such nasty shit.  It's standard practice now that we filter all city water.

Some old city's that still use cast iron has a lot of ... iron big surprise
some places have a shit ton of sand and silt like stuff in it.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 03:23:42 PM »

Lol, small town or what? 

No I live in the Metroplis of Wyoming, Casper pop. almost 100,000 if you include the suburbs ( LoL) Mills, Evansville, and Bar Nunn.

When I lived in Louisianna I had really bad water were I would have dead shirmp or something coming out of the faucet. (Ft.Polk FTML)

Check these links out: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html good calculator and http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Docs/water_injection_controller.htm ( how to make your own controller)

hamburgler

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »

Good, it will be a good read once I'm done final exams.

caged

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

I use a clear carby filter before the pump and its full of a brown sludge. I use water out of a purifier but it doesn't take the minerals out. my pump only pumps 80psi so my nozzle is quite large, ill check today.

Make shore you bleed the pump after you fill it up/ ever have the pump feed out of the fluid.

hamburgler

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »

^^^Engine size and boost?  Nice setup btw!

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »

caged write up NOW :yes:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

found another link in my bookmarks :
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14745

In this thread there is tons of sites to find and look through info. ;D

Logan76

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »

I read that water meth should'nt be sprayed unless it was over 150psi. therfore you would want a smaller nozzle to increase the pressure of the fluiid correct? I dont understand how you compentsate for an undersized pump, by using a larger nozzle?

hamburgler

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »

I read that water meth should'nt be sprayed unless it was over 150psi. therfore you would want a smaller nozzle to increase the pressure of the fluiid correct? I dont understand how you compentsate for an undersized pump, by using a larger nozzle?

Use two small nozzles.  Ill have to do a write up once Im up and going.

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 02:36:38 AM »

go pre turbo.

it drops the temps hella.

here is my setup.

caged

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:30 AM »

Hey kain what brand nozzles/kit are you running? Are you running a solenoid or a check vave to stop nozzle dribble? Any compressor wheel errosion yet? I am going a pre turbo set up on my civic and have heard good reviews.

rudebwoy

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »

I run a 7 gph nozzle but I run a lot of boost with a big turbo when in use. I would suggest for you a 4 gph nozzle.

DreaMeR

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

Hey kain what brand nozzles/kit are you running? Are you running a solenoid or a check vave to stop nozzle dribble? Any compressor wheel errosion yet? I am going a pre turbo set up on my civic and have heard good reviews.

I highly doubt considering the amount of heat thats dealt within the turbo, Im guessing most water that is dropped in turns into steam or eventually burns off since you dont use it all the time

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »

im using a cooling mist kit and the nozzels that came wiht it. coolingmist SUCKS because they dont label their nozels, and also,

This kit will ship with 2 different nozzle sizes, One of these nozzles will flow exactly what you need because our controller will allow you to dial in the flow to your requirements.

big whoop coolingmist.

also the controller is horrible. any little nudge will adjust the mixture so i threw it out ( its for sale , never used 4 to 120 psi) in favor of the labonte controller. there you have it.

i run strictly water. i dont want to have to tune/compensate for injecting other shit. pre turbo you want the lowest nozzel size and post turbo go as big as you want.

dont buy the kits. they are a HUGE waste of money. most of the fittings and shit can be found at home depot for half the price. the hose is a typical poly eth hose 1/4th diameter and all teh taps and shit are 1/8th. so thats pretty standard.

so just get a pump, and a controller and a sulenoid. labonte sells all this shit for super cheap.you can have a nice system for like 300 bones if you are lucky enough to find a free container to hosue the shit.

also, anything less than a gallon is gonna run out quick.

flat_black

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »

i run the devils own progressive kit with the 10GPH nozzle using a 50/50 mix of water methanol, works good so far i have yet to turn the boost up past 23psi
i used the meth calculator and went a little bit bigger than they suggested
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up