:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some cheap Jeep fab  (Read 3003 times)

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
Some cheap Jeep fab
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »

Talked one of my Jeep friends into letting me cut on his TJ this week.
Aftermarket taillights and guards run anywhere from a bill up to over $300. I did it for $32 with a jigsaw and some l.e.d boat trailer lights

after the cut, pulling some wiring

installed. nice and flush, no risk of smashing them on a tree and if you do happen to crack one, they're only $16 at any wal-mart

Now for the snorkel. Yes it is practical. We wheel some pretty crazy shit, that includes rutted out, off camber deep creeks. The only "kit" is from ARB, which runs $360. There are a few drawbacks to those, though. First is how many possible leak points. They utilize the stock airbox, which you have to block off the intake side of, the cut a hole in the back of the box to run the hose out of, then a junction from the the hose to the abs plastic piece on the outside. Plus the lid on the airbox, and the 3 junctions from the airbox to the TB. They also look too neat, not like function built. They look like parking lot poser shit. Also, the ARB kit is not as practical, you have to take the windshield snorkel mount loose to take the doors off, with mine the come right off. The ARB one mounts on the passenger side, mine mounts on the driver side so the driver can be more aware of it in low hanging trees and brush. Mine has a filter in the very top to keep shit from getting down in a bend and clogging the snorkel up. The ARB one is wide open (minus a big spaced grill) all the way to the stock air filter. One of our wheeling buddies has an ARB and has to clean out leaves and brush at least every month.
   Other option. Lowe's home improvement. $57 later, I had everything I needed.

Metal dryer exhaust hose, with a 3" to 2" reducer. (have since added a 90* elbow off the TB for added hood clearance, so add another $3 to the final price)

Cut the fender, and had to widen a hole in a brace behind the fender.

A modified dryer exhaust vent is the top of this. Pulled the flap out, trimmed the sides down, and painted it.

put a shower drain grate in the dryer vent to be able to have a filter up top. filter is a household vent filter double stacked

finished product (later cut it down 6" to bring it level with the top)

I also wired up 2 55 watt reverse lights, some rock lights, took off the bullshit low overhanging bushwacker flares (one was busted against a tree and broke), put the stick ones back on, and trimmed them flat, and some other shit I can't recall right now.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:47:01 PM by keelay »
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

oinesra

Re: Some cheap Jeep fab
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »

Where is the boost?

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »

It's coming in a few weeks :)
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Sinister

• insane in the membrane
  • Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »

Love the ingenuity.
3/5/09 - RIP HMT

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

I'll try to get some FINISHED pictures of it, with it lowered, and the 90*. We sunk the Jeep up to the windows in a creek yesterday, pulled out, and checked it, and no leaks to speak of

thanks guys

ghettoturbo

• Dedicated Xenocron minion
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »

i like the modded dryer vent...but are you worried about the flex hose getting worn wherever it touches anything?  Not sure how thick it is...

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »

i like the modded dryer vent...but are you worried about the flex hose getting worn wherever it touches anything?  Not sure how thick it is...

not very,  its heavier than aluminum foil but not by much

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:46 AM »

it cant touch anything that would compromise it. the only place it goes through is very thickly lined with a duct tape pad around it. If it ever gives an issue, it will be upgraded to pvc as well, but I dont think its gonna fail reallly

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »

here it is with the 90* on the TB, helped out hood clearance (under full load the motor would flex it into the hood slightly), and helped the angle into the TB

Pages: [1]   Go Up