:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: J-series swaps...  (Read 20405 times)

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
Re: J-series swaps...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 01:34:22 AM »

The gearing is not really meant for drag racing thats why the cars dont seem to crack faster than 12's with the swaps.

Hondas arent meant for drag racing anyways.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »

As long as we're entertaining pipe dreams, how about a mid-engine j32 swap?

Putting the entire suspension would fix the mount & axle issues, a welded diff would take care of torque steer, plus you wound't have a giant hood bulge. It would be a little noisey tho, and add about 4.4" to the rear track. You'd just have to put in ITR front hubs (a benifit w/new bearings) and get a weird offset rim if you don't want a wider rearend.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »

As long as we're entertaining pipe dreams, how about a mid-engine j32 swap?

Putting the entire suspension would fix the mount & axle issues, a welded diff would take care of torque steer, plus you wound't have a giant hood bulge. It would be a little noisey tho, and add about 4.4" to the rear track. You'd just have to put in ITR front hubs (a benifit w/new bearings) and get a weird offset rim if you don't want a wider rearend.

Yeah, I pipe dreamed that.  I think it would fit in the hatch of a CRX :)

Now, back to reality.

chris

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »

Reality is with improved gearing the swap is a monster.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

Reality is with improved gearing the swap is a monster.

The Type-S 6-speed with LSD has shitty gearing too?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »

i have looked into this swap for my eg coupe. it looks like the expensive part is the manual tranny. j32' and j35's can be had for a couple hundred dollars, but the rare people that have manual transmissions for sale dont want to part with them for less than double the engine cost. then throw engine management into the mix. cheapest option seems to be MS, too bad a p28 cant be modded to work. i know i wouldnt be happy with stock power for more than a few min
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

chris

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »

WEll a mild engine really can be tuned with just a fpr pressure bump. I dont even think anyone has cams for them yet and who knows if anyone has even done regrinds yet.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 07:38:16 AM »

I have boost in mind.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »

J-series motors spin clockwise, so it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it to another tranny. However I'm not even sure what would be a decent option for a high-torque transverse engine.

Same for normal clockwise superchargers - it wouldn't be too hard to get & fit a M90 or M112 SC onto it, assuming you had space. Hell old-skool cars had the blower sticking out the hood... Anyways you can usually get away with a FPR and a cheap ignition retard module with an SC since your exhaust backpressure isn't changing all the time like a turbo.

This is why I think a rwd or even awd conversion is ultimately better if you're going balls-out. Honda guys are just to used to plug&play that they are scared to do any real work like cutting up the frame. Just ask JH Christ what his homefags do with their VW's to lose that extra inch of ground clearance. I mean the work itself, not the buttseks to pay for it. :?:
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »

Honda guys are just to used to plug&play that they are scared to do any real work like cutting up the frame.

for me, i think thats part of the reason i stick with hondas. you can do a lot with something that is pretty much bolt in and it drives like stock. i am by no means afraid of cutting a car up to get what i want out of it, but why not bolt in (sewell estimated) 600whp with stock idle and 30mpg
obd1>gtgtall

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »

That's a family car if I ever saw one.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »

Yeah a nice $150K+ family car. Would be fun though, I had a chance to ride in a 900hp turbo LSx rail like that. There are not words to describe it, other then it puckered my asshole so tight I don't think I pooped for 3 days.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »

i have looked into this swap for my eg coupe. it looks like the expensive part is the manual tranny. j32' and j35's can be had for a couple hundred dollars, but the rare people that have manual transmissions for sale dont want to part with them for less than double the engine cost. then throw engine management into the mix. cheapest option seems to be MS, too bad a p28 cant be modded to work. i know i wouldnt be happy with stock power for more than a few min

Thats why it is the deal killer for me. Cheapest trans was 1800 and it had a crack in it :?:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

If I knew an auto could handle 4-500whp daily I would just use one of them. I'm not willing to do the swap planning on the cheap auto and then have it not hold up and have to spend a ton of cash on a manual to keep the car driving
obd1>gtgtall

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »

Someone find a tranny that would work and come up with a transmission adapter like the H2B.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

K?
obd1>gtgtall

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

Someone find a tranny that would work and come up with a transmission adapter like the H2B.

If someone did that then they could probably make some decent money.  K trans aren't much cheaper though, are they?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »

K tranny's are at least half of what J manuals are
obd1>gtgtall

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »

K tranny's are at least half of what J manuals are

Both in cost and stremf.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »

I have no experience with either of them
obd1>gtgtall

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »

Our local JDM junk swinger sells  Auto Accord Type R tranny's with LSD's for under $500 bones.  Zerorob (occasional poster here)  just got one for his accord Wagon , G23 shit wagon.
fuck you

TheMadScientist

• Certified OG
  • I'm like Batman and Shit
Why would I not be surprised if your pink slip included "quotquotthen Mr Davis overturned the table while shouting, HOWS THAT FOR FLUID MECHANICS?!"quotquot?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »

i will make my own if i do. i am also considering using the single port exhaust engine. performance wise i know its not the best one, but it seems to be cheaper and it will confuse the hell out of people when they only see one big tube coming from the head. most of the JDM tards around here have no idea they made those.
obd1>gtgtall

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »

if you're not opposed to bastardization, more options open up.

for transverse boxes, the Aisin E153 boxes are pretty well bulletproof and relatively cheap. they're found in MR2 turbo, celica all-trac and camry/solara V6.they're kind of heavy, but they have a pretty decent span of ratios depending on what they're from.  the GM F40 6 speed boxes might work as well (they've been used with northstar engines in fieros) but they've got some weird issues like hydraulic TOB and no space to mount the starter. starter mount would have to be on the adapter plate.

mid-engine (assuming you're open to hacking the chassis) the audi longitudinal boxes are fairly cheap and not hard to find.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »

The Toyota MR2 SC/Turbo gearbox is basically bulletproof.  I would go that direction.

BTW, just modify the bellhousing to bolt to the J-series the same way rednecks with TIG machines make B or D boxes fit H-series.  Order a clutch from mars, done.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

right, pick one up from a JDM importer who doesn't know what they've got on the pallet. i ordered a 93+ open diff tranny (because i didn't think i had the axles for it) and ended up getting one with an LSD. $650 shipped for a box that usually sells for over $1k shipped. luckily the PO had replaced the axles with LSD parts for some reason. i bet you could even do simple adapters to bolt the toyota stub shafts to the honda tripods/rzeppas.

do the j-series engiens have a spot to bolt a bearing carrier to the block?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »

do the j-series engiens have a spot to bolt a bearing carrier to the block?

im sure they do, but i will check next time one comes in the shop. i see a bunch of TL's and odyssey's
obd1>gtgtall

Donald125

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2010, 03:40:12 AM »

reminds me of these 3.5 v6 sentra

also thought about swapping these newer toyota 3.5 into the newer tc/xb consider they all share the same mounts
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:45:45 AM by Donald125 »
(Thump, thump, thump) Stop resisting! (Thump thump thump) TAZER TAZER TAZER!

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »

Had a TL in the other day. The intermediate shaft bolts to the back side of the block just like any other Honda.
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up