:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: project turbo civic hatch d15b7  (Read 15664 times)

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
project turbo civic hatch d15b7
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

my names Mike, im 26 and live in Maine that's in the u.s for those of you that never heard of the state i live in. my girl is the most amazing gf a guy could ask for, she has basically funded this whole project aside from a few small things i bought.

so here it is guys, nothing special ( but deff has been fun ). its a 94 honda civic cx hatchback turbo w/ a mutt of a motor. i been lurking and building in the shadows for a while. i've learned alot from this site and many others, so thanks for the help. i got my car a little over a year ago and have had civics majority of the time i've had my license. this started off as a budget build, but soon i plan to put in a built motor and up the boost. paid $850 dollars for the car it was stock had 2xx,xxx miles stock D15B8.

first setup:
oil pressure gauge
boost gauge
innovative LC-1 wideband kit
z6 intake mani w/ B7 throttle body
D15B7 head stock
D15B8 stock bottom end
cx trans gears were way too long
cast manifold
TB0357 garrett internally gated fried it and picked up a ebay 6262 knock off
walbro 255 intank fuel pump
RC 550cc injectors saturated
comp clutch kit stage 4 sprung
cxracing intercooler kit 2 1/2 piping w/ F.M.I.C
NGK BKR7E plugs
chipped and converted P06 e.c.u vtec disabled street tuned by a friend boost cut was set at 9.5psi and tuned for 9psi
rod gave out after a couple months of heavy abuse

second setup:
oil pressure gauge
vac/boost gauge
innovative LC-1 wideband kit
z6 intake mani w/ B7 throttle body
D15B7 head stock
D15B2 stock bottom end
ex trans B000 i believe ( the one with the bigger bearings )
cast manifold
ebay 6262 knock off
walbro 255 intank fuel pump
RC 550cc injectors saturated
comp clutch kit stage 4 sprung
cxracing intercooler kit 2 1/2 piping w/ F.M.I.C
NGK BKR7E plugs
chipped and converted P06 e.c.u vtec disabled street tuned by a friend for previous setup

i might have for got a few things if so ill edit it later. anyways enough talking heres the pics and videos i have so far

when i bought it

FMIC kit and misc. parts

rims i got for free off a buddy

z6 intake mani.

B7 head

felpro head gasket

damn wiring. LOL

boost gauge in

R.I.P little garrett

my home made vac manifold

FMIC installed no clamps on couplers

pulling motor to install clutch and all the turbo stuff

comp clutch stage 4 kit sprung

me and my pops putting the motor back in the car

almost together

dirty but done

ebay turbo installed

bay shot

carnage from the rod blowing out

moar carnage

putting in the second setup at this point i already had put the ex trans in

nice painted block did not use that oil pan so didnt care about over spray

all installed

something unknown kept closing the gap on #4 cylinder spark plug and cause this, and this is where im at now

now its time for a new motor, looking for the rite deal atm

some vids of when i had it running with the first setup. was messed up because the wastegate is a 12psi internal and i always hit boost cut which is set at 9.5 psi. plus the gears were too long and it fell on its face on the launch and between shifts

5 P.S.I at Launch Control

project gremlin 94 civic hatch

94 d15 turbo hatch

i have more videos that need to be uploaded to youtube and then ill add them on, i forgot how slow it was with that stupid cx trans. couldnt stay high enough in the rpms for the turbo to be effective, the ex trans fixed that tho

PR4WN:

thanks for looking

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:33:53 PM by EG-MIKE »

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Re: project turbo civic hatch d15b7
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:33:58 AM »

I'll give you credit for trying. My guess is the tune & power were a bit much for the motor.

PS: Link to the pictures directly, not to some google link.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »

I'll give you credit for trying. My guess is the tune & power were a bit much for the motor.

PS: Link to the pictures directly, not to some google link.

thanks homie fixed pics, yeah the power is a little much but once i get a better map ( might talk to you about that cause i know your the man to talk to about injectors and what not lol ) and new motor i can tune it for 12 psi and not hit boost cut so much. it took a shit ton of abuse before blowing the first motor. i have no clue what cause the gap to keep closing and frying number 4 cylinder

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »

you got ripped off on those wheels...

piston looks like detonation or contamination like a mofo.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »

you got ripped off on those wheels...

piston looks like detonation or contamination like a mofo.

i think they go good with the car, and when im done ill have a all black and lime green theme going

yeah somehow the gap on the spark plug kept getting pinched shut and did that damage from having to drive it while it was popping. i pulled the head and everything seemed to be in order with no debris floating around anywhere so i don't have the slightest clue.

DSMR

• RHMT
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:02 AM »

Your feed line is clocked incorrectly.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »

Yeah no more than 15deg from vertical.  :noel:

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »

Fuck yea, solid post!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »

Fuck yea, solid post!

thanks bro.

i follow all your builds on here and DSO.

ok, so i have rc 550 cc injectors and a ebay 6262 knock off. im @9 psi atm and plan to get a new map and run 12 psi, @9 psi my injectors are @ 65%. my question is, 12 psi on that turbo with these injectors should put me at about 80% flow rate and basically be perfect for the setup rite?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:28:32 PM by EG-MIKE »

jdmhatchracer94

• I have a nova that will never run!!
  • Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

Wish i could find aftermarket rods for the engine. Most the time get them for free
4 door eg nbspnbsp 13.2@118 someone needs to run slicks
338hp 293tq

Good enough to fuck your mother

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »

cxracing makes cheapish rods for the usdm d15b series engine. so dont many other places just a lil more exp.

jdmhatchracer94

• Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

Well then get them rods and some piston. Go nog on that shit
338hp 293tq

DSMR

• RHMT
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 03:44:23 AM »

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

ok ill stake that into consideration when i get a new motor and the parts i need to get it running pristine again. right now the car is out of order till i can save up some money after the holidays and pic up the parts i need. hopefully when i get it running again it'll be at 16+LBS of boost  ;DDD

jdmhatchracer94

• Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »

Rods vitaras delta cam 16psi=win to me
338hp 293tq

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »

Rods vitaras delta cam 16psi=win to me

i havent really decided on vitara's yet, i know they are cheapish and seem to be fairly reliable. but i have seen lots of builds where the vitara's crack ringlands and have failed in other way's, plus im kinda thinking about doing a lil bit of a higher compression build ( i'd like to be somewhere around 10:1 CR ). if i do go with the vitara's i'll be shaving a good chunk off the head, to get me to my desired CR. as for the delta cam, i hear nothing but good things but im pretty positive that i'll be fine with an A6 cam for the power i expect to be putting to the ground. when i am where i wanna be with the project i should be pulling 12's all day and still have a reliable DD.

i need to figure out how to get some sponsors under my belt

i'll give y'all some of my plans feel free to comment on anything that dont seem effective

plans:

fully built usdm d15b bottom end ( cause i feel people really underestimate the 1.5's )
either D15B7 head or D16A6 head ( probably the A6 head as there are more options as far as upgrading spring's, retainers etc etc. my rev limit i would like to set to 9-9.5k RPMS as i have a larger turbo and thats where it is most effective )
i'd like to have a CR of around 10:1 to make up for the little boost lag i have on the launch and improve spool times
currently i have a Z6 intake mani, but i plan on switching to a Y8 intake mani because from research i've learned they flow better for boosted vehicles ( but if funds allow it i'll pick up a GE intake mani )
a larger TB currently i have a B7 TB but if i can locate a cheap GSR TB then i'll be upgrading to that and port matching it to my intake mani.
larger FMIC
possibly custom make my own ram horn manifold ( might stick with the cast mani and just smooth out the inside for a little better flow/spool times )
new map sensor 3.5-4BAR havent decided

thats about all i can think of atm but i'll add more as i research/accumulate parts.

jdmhatchracer94

• Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »

Good luck with the sponsor thing. Vitaras were stated cause of cheapness. Just port the z6 manifold they work just fine.
338hp 293tq

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »

I can chime in on the sponsor thing. There are other ways to go about it, but what worked for me was to pick an event with some good coverage, form a solid plan you know you can complete and present it all to your prospective sponsors. That's how I did it. I decided to do the Grassroots Motorsports $20xx Challenge. I had been involved before so I had a good plan(not good enough, but I was convincing), then got to emailing. Might have helped that I emailed from @evansperformance.net. Lol. I quickly picked up Moates.net(free demon), Neptune(free(hrtuning.com)), dcagarage.com(free corbeu seat and harness) and Delta hooked me up with a $50 272-2 regrind.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »

update:

so i got a gt1752 for free at work, just needs a rebuild. i replaced it on a saab with an egay godspeed one the owner of the car brought in. i told him the garrett could be rebuilt and i'd trust the garrett rebuilt over the godspeed any day of the week, he said " they look the same to him and he didnt care which one he used ". so i asked him what to do with the garrett and he told me to keep it 

so new plans for this year is gonna be similar to scottdh20's d15beast7 build

stock d15b7 ( rebuild if needed )
z6 intake mani
ex/si B000 trans w/ stage 4 unsprung comp clutch kit
hf mani with home made adapter plate/ maybe ill fab a mini ram but that might be overkill for the lil gt1752 idk
GARRETT gt1752
2.5" DP & straight pipe back to a muffler. ( still undecided on a good muffler, open to suggestions )
RC-550 injectors
chipped and converted p06 ecu tuned on chrome @ 12 p.s.i maybe 15 if it feels safe with this lil turbo
im gonna try to pick up a 4bar map off HIPROFILE on here

possibly forgetting a thing or 2

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 12:58:50 AM »

Sounds solid, but I don't run mufflers on turbo cars. The turbo does enough muffling.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

Sounds solid, but I don't run mufflers on turbo cars. The turbo does enough muffling.

Yeah i wouldnt run a muffler if i had the choice but i live in maine and police around here hate hondas. Id get a ticket so fast and we have state inspections due once a year. Everythings gotta look close to stock.

Another small update, going to pick up a clean y7 lowwer end for 50 bucks after work tomorrow. Then ill get some arp head studs and a fresh B7 head and get a master rebuild kit and maybe a set of rods and pistons if i can afford it. Only time shal tell, id love to max out my 6262 knock off or find an hx35 and max that out.

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »

Update:

Picked up a complete z6 bottom end today for 50 bucks, the guy with the y7 pulled some dumb shit so i never picked it up. Instead i got this beast, now i gotta wire in vtec and get a new base map till i get her tuned. Picking up the rest of the motor next week for 100. New map sensor soon i hope. I just wish fjt was still in buisness with his 500 super kit, i now need to find a cheap alternative.

jdmhatchracer94

• Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

Rcautoworks has the custom rods and vitaras on sale still i believe
338hp 293tq

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »

Rcautoworks has the custom rods and vitaras on sale still i believe

rc has quality stuff but its out of my price range, i priced out usdm d15b rods and pistons and it was like 700+ dollars....

id like to find something similar to the old fjt super kit, was around 500ish dollars for everything to completely rebuild with forged rods, vitaras and all the gaskets

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

selling the hatch, trying to find a clean EG 4DR to drop in the z6 with the gt1752 that i got. gonna run 12-15 psi on the little bastard. SLEEPER 4DR in the works

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »

Sell the GT17 to a Saab owner who blew his stock turbo or to some TDI guy. That thing is too small for even a 1.6L unless you want boost nearly at idle and nothing after vtec. A 14b or wrx turbo will be way more fun and might actually net you some free cash in the upgrade. Plus the extra work to make a gt17 flange won't be worth it.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

EG-MIKE

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »

Sell the GT17 to a Saab owner who blew his stock turbo or to some TDI guy. That thing is too small for even a 1.6L unless you want boost nearly at idle and nothing after vtec. A 14b or wrx turbo will be way more fun and might actually net you some free cash in the upgrade. Plus the extra work to make a gt17 flange won't be worth it.

thanks, should i stick with the 6262 knockoff for now or drop to a smaller snail? on the b7 the launch killed me cause it dropped on its face with my launch control set to 5500RPM. however, from a roll not much could touch it. a friend has a sti with the stock turbo, but its been ported out(?) on 23psi w/ meth injection, from a 40 roll he only jumped a car length (because i lost traction) and by the time i hit full boost in 3rd i had reeled him back in on only 9psi with my setup. if that helps you decide any on how it would fair bolted to the z6?
Pages: [1]   Go Up