:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: school me on auto's  (Read 3186 times)

Burntrubber87

school me on auto's
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »

So i just bought a '90 Accord EX for $200, runs good has 160,000 miles on it and its automatic though. I have the old manifold and turbo from my '92 Laser. I'm kinda' lazy and broke at the moment but was wondering how long do you think that tranny would last on 10psi or so? Can i even run a chipped/ base-mapped ecu with an auto?

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
Re: school me on auto's
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »

2-3 months or until it gets cold and the seals shrink in the tranny.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

sell it to a mexican for 10x what you paid and buy an EF.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

Burntrubber87

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »

All the mexicans around here work on a big dairy farm and i dont think they're allowed to drive.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

You can boost an auto.  I wouldn't run 10psi though.  If you get a transmission cooler, and you keep the boost at 6-8psi, it should hold up pretty well.  Basically, just don't heat the trans up too much and you are good.  Worst case, blow up the trans, then get everything you need for a manual swap for cheap from a junkyard.

this guy doesn't look smart enought to pull off turboing his car let alone swaping a manual trans into it.  :?:

Burntrubber87

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »

You sure about that? not trying to start a pissing match here but I can gurantee i've forgotten more transmission jobs than you've done.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:31:07 PM by Burntrubber87 »

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »

You sure about that? not trying to start a pissing match here but I can gurantee i've forgotten more transmission jobs than you've done.

Don't wanna get into that pissing match with me :)

I had a 86 and 88 Accord. Seals when cold wouldn't hold enough pressure on the clutch packs until warmed up. Once warmed up it was fine. Before 40 outside, don't even try.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Burntrubber87

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »

Well, it probably won't last til this winter anyway so i'm just going to beat the shit out of now. I don't really know much about Honda autos and figured if anyone, you guys would know if it would last and if it did how long. If I could get 2-3 months out of it I would be happy.

AstroVannin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »

There was a few guys on CB7 tuner running turbo auto setups.

I seem to think they lasted a while as long as they didnt get beat on all the time.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

The trick to keeping automatics together in general is high pressure + keeping temps low. 

I agree with bone here though, your wasting your time.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

Burntrubber87

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:03 AM »

Yeah it probably is a waste of my time with an auto but I might as well burn the tranny up and do the manual conversion. I have a chipped PR4, don't you have to jump something or some shit to run it in an auto? a/c condenser off a F150.. :mexi: love it

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »

If the ecu wasn't for an auto, it probably won't allow you to use the lockup converter, meaning 3spd. I really don't know about obd0, that's for people who are stuck 2 decades back...

If it was OBD1, I'd say run ectune and run boost by rpm. Keep boost low with low rpm, and raise it near redline. This will keep overall torque low, helping the tranny life some.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

I'm no honda guy, but I know a little about auto's. Most auto's fail from getting too hot. Keep the bitch cool with a huge cooler plumbed in after the radiator cooler. Higher pressure would help too. No idea how hard it is to adjust the head pressure on the pumps on a honda transmisison, but I'm sure it's possible. I wish my miata was an auto.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Toysrme

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »

if you want an edjucated guess youll pass the point of it living indefinately at a measily 220-250bhp.
from there its a race. if you've got little traction and you're lucky youll burn out your clutch packs for 3rd & 4th gear first.
if you're unlucky youll be busting gear sprags

either pay the big big money to have it built into a drag beast, or plop a manual in it
Pages: [1]   Go Up