:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how the hell works a dyno?  (Read 3685 times)

walter

• Certified OG
how the hell works a dyno?
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »

today me and friend of mine was discussion about how works a dyno, there is a guy that dynoed his car and guys from shop said him ,they rolled the car in 4th since if they dyno it in 5th will get more power.. i was ..what the f...

friend of mine said me , he was right, since it has to do with gear ratios, they try to find 1:1 gear ratio and then dyno the car for get right numbers..

i alwasy thought that and engine pull same torque/power in every gear..how the hell can make more power in next gear?

i was talking too with a guy that was working on a repair shop when had a dyno too (MAHA Dyno), and said me he play alot with it, and his car alwasy made same power in 3th or 4th gears but with different "loss power" (not sure how you say this thing really ., i transate it literraly)

i know dyno measure torque ,calcula for get power blabalabla.. but what is the deal with gear ratios and this shit?  :?:

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: how the hell works a dyno?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »

Dyno measures torque. You put your car in 1st gear there is a larger gear reduction, hence you put down more torque. Normally you dyno in your 1:1 gear such that the dyno can measure torque and engine RPM to accurately calculate wheel hp.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

it can play with the numbers a little, but HP is  Torque x RPM/5252  I think dome dyno's are improperly callibrated.  I know for a fact some give up numbers easier than others.  When I was building engines for HotToGo up in NY, our dyno would read low compared to others, proven many times, same engine read 10 or so HP more elsewhere.  Kinda cool kicking someone's ass and tellling them you have less power.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

Also, if the gear ratio is known, true torque can be figured in any gear, Take the gross torque output and divide by the gear ratio.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »

this really doestn reply what i asked  :-\

how do you know it's your 1:1 gear? then,that means if you make two pulls in 3th and 4th gears, you will not get the same power since "you are putting down more torque" ?

losesomethinbra

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »

Do it in 5th and let us know how it goes  :yes:

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »

weres my vti cluster  :P
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »

the what fuck? I'm thinks me wants also how works a dyno?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:47:45 PM by Stealthmode »
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »

this really doestn reply what i asked  :-\

how do you know it's your 1:1 gear? then,that means if you make two pulls in 3th and 4th gears, you will not get the same power since "you are putting down more torque" ?

actually the same HP will be calculated but it will be over a much smaller rpm scale. you might have 1000ft lbs and 140HP in first gear. or 150 ftlbs and 140 HP in 4th gear. think about every time you see the phrase SAE corrected or corrected HP, thats becuase even in 4th gear 1 engine rev is not the same as 1 wheel rev, not 1:1, it could be like 1:1.25, you have to correct by 25%.
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »

With a turbo engine especially a higher gear can offset the torrque curve a lot by loading the engine more and for a lnoger period of time. The turbo comes into boost at earlier RPM and makes more torque when gear ratios are taken into account. Just like on the street 1st gear might not spool until 5k, but 3rd and 4th may spool at 3k(numbers pulled out of my butt, but you get the idea and most of you have seen it).

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:18 AM »

Its mainly HOW the dyno measures. It measures torque, which is how much power you can put into a single 'twist' of the rollers. Some use a stress guage (measures torque via flexing), some use something akin to a generator (eddy current).

The corrections for gear require speed or RPM inputs, otherwise you just get raw data. 1:1 offers the least correction, obviously, and is usually found in 4th gear. However, the final drive still multiplies the torque, you just remove the other gears from the picture.

All that said, you won't see much difference between 3rd and 4th if the dyno is opperating right. Aero's right about boost, depending on the dyno. A no-frills dynojet w/o load cell won't load the engine like a mustang would. If you're tuning, its a good thing to have a loaded dyno.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 02:33:13 AM »

I can make a Dynojet/Mustang/Dynapack setups fudge the numbers with ease.

Dynapacks are the easiest. I've seen 15-20 whp gained on a NA motor by changing the slew.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

AWDstylez

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »

Inertia dynos (like dynojets) measure HP directly and calculate torque, they do not measure torque.  Brake (loading) dynos (like dynapacks) measure torque directly and calculate HP.

What your friend is refering to is a trick many people use on brake style dynos.  The slower you sweep them through the RPM range the more power they tend to read.  However, I've never heard of doing this by dynoing in a higher gear.  It's usually done by adjusting the settings on the dyno.

However, with a turbo car I'd tend to think you would lose power in the higher gear because the engine would be under load for longer and building up more heat.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »

Inertia dynos (like dynojets) measure HP directly and calculate torque, they do not measure torque.  Brake (loading) dynos (like dynapacks) measure torque directly and calculate HP.

What your friend is refering to is a trick many people use on brake style dynos.  The slower you sweep them through the RPM range the more power they tend to read.  However, I've never heard of doing this by dynoing in a higher gear.  It's usually done by adjusting the settings on the dyno.

However, with a turbo car I'd tend to think you would lose power in the higher gear because the engine would be under load for longer and building up more heat.

ok but then how's possible ppl said on dyno if they pull in 5th gear ill get +10hp or so more.?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

i get 17lbs at 2600 in first, i don't know the meaning of longer gears affecting spool  :evil:

I get 10-12psig at as low as 1.5K rpms but that is b/c I use an oversize supercharger. ;D

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »

i get 17lbs at 2600 in first, i don't know the meaning of longer gears affecting spool  :evil:

I get 10-12psig at as low as 1.5K rpms but that is b/c I use an oversize supercharger. ;D
Link?
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »

Its mainly HOW the dyno measures. It measures torque, which is how much power you can put into a single 'twist' of the rollers. Some use a stress guage (measures torque via flexing), some use something akin to a generator (eddy current).

And inertial units do it be calculating the power required to accelerate a heavy drum.

Some dynos are designed (on the software side) to calculate 1:1 gearing, so if you don't use 4th gear it will vary the power output.  Other dynos compare engine speed to the drum speed and correct for 1:1 gearing, so regardless of what gear you are in the power output is the "same."

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:36:47 AM »

Link?

Here is mine : http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

I think I might see more boost all around if I fix all the boost leak issues. ;D

AWDstylez

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »

ok but then how's possible ppl said on dyno if they pull in 5th gear ill get +10hp or so more.?

Because a slower sweep through the RPM's gives a higher power reading on a brake dyno.  I think your friend is just an idiot though.

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

If we take this chart http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132/

Some transmission are ~1:1 at 4th and some are ~1:1 at 3rd. So we use the 3rd gear in the last case right?

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

MantisX

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »

Arent long 5th gear pulls a no no anyway?

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »

High speed drive in 5th is not good because the engine is always on load so it creates a lot of heat. That's my conception tho, I'm not 100% sure :P

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »

Arent long 5th gear pulls a no no anyway?

It was the only way I could get traction to break 800 on the Blueridge car.  Apparently they like to pop in 5th in the 700 whp range, we were lucky.

confUsed

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »

Why are 5th gear pulls such a bad idea? Wouldn't a long pull on a load dyno be just as bad or even worse because of the lack of enough air through the engine bay?
My english sucks

RHMT Norway

BoostForLife

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »

I would think that higher gears would have more knock if your tune isn't safe or bad because you're going through the rpm range slower and have more load on the motor.
On the dyno, I don't think it matters if you run boost in 5th gear, or even on the highway as long as you don't prolong it. Thats when the internals really heat up.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

Internals will get hot, meh.  If everything's built correctly then you only have to compensate for for how the temperatures hasten the burn.

Talk to some landspeed guys... they spend the last mile or so trying to gain 3-5 mph.  They know everything you want to know about some high gear boosting.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »

i was thinking then ,dynoinh your car get " real numbers what your engine make"..  :-\

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »

i was thinking then ,dynoinh your car get " real numbers what your engine make"..  :-\

Pages: [1]   Go Up