:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't go in gear...  (Read 6073 times)

Jorsher

• Certified OG
Won't go in gear...
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »

Monday the clutch seemed to engage a little sooner than usual...  Also, a couple times when I was idling with the clutch depressed and off the brakes, it would feel like it barely would "catch" for a second intermittently just enough to notice it wasn't acting normal.

Tuesday started driving to work and it was hard to get it in each gear and grinding every gear.

Turned around, parked it, turned it off.  Started it back up, went to put it in first, and it wouldn't go into gear.

Called in and assumed a flywheel bolt backed out again.

Pulled the engine, took off the transmission and clutch, and the flywheel bolts were all still torqued down.  Didn't see anything unusual so just put the damn thing back together.  Unfortunately, since I have a random fuel rail that doesn't fit quite right and was putting the car back together in the dark, a couple of the o-rings seem to be chewed up because a couple of the injectors sprayed gas in my eye when I had my friend turn the ignition on.

Haven't drove it yet to see if the problem persists, but being that I didn't really do anything to it, I'm guessing it will.  I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and it seems at the same level it's been at, about halfway full.  Slave cylinder is new and didn't leak any fluid that I could see when I depress the clutch.  Master cylinder is up in the dash so I can't see it, but didn't notice any fluid falling onto the floor.

Also hear a small squeak squeak squeak if I'm idling while the clutch is engaged, but that's been going on for a while.  May be unrelated.

Any suggestions on what else to check if it still won't go into gear tomorrow?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:27:14 AM by Jorsher »

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
Re: Won't go in gear...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:59:57 AM »

I'm guessing B series?????

Clutch spitting a spring most likely issue.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »

I'm guessing B series?????

Clutch spitting a spring most likely issue.

Yeah, B-series.

Clutch looked fine.  Is a Competition Clutch with only a few thousand miles on it.  There were a few scrapes near the spring holders but I'm pretty sure that's from the time the flywheel bolt backed out.  They're all still where they should be, though.

Adam Hopkins

• Peyton Manning
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »

I just had every symptom you listed and it was a liberated clutch spring. Only problem is that it happened in NC about 400 miles from home. I only stopped once to get gas.

I would have really looked that clutch over when you had it out. Is there any shiny marks on it where something is rubbing.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:20:19 PM »

Yeah, I've had those symptoms on the previous A6 that finally spit a spring after 265k miles...

This has all springs intact and where they should be with no play...  There is a few little scrapes on the raised portion that holds the springs, but I'm pretty certain those are from when the flywheel bolts loosened and were rubbing against the plate.

MAJORAHOLE

• fuckin C-unt
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

does the pedal feel normal?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »

So, bought new O-rings and such for the leaky injectors.  NONE of the auto stores had any in stock, so gave Honda about $32-34 of my hard earned money.  This time put the injectors fully into the rail and pushed fully into the head, then shoved a couple washers to use as spacers instead of just tightening down without spacers and eating up the o-rings...

Drove down the road.  Shifts perfectly fine.  One big difference: clutch engages/disengages pretty damn close to the top of the pedal, instead of near the bottom last time.  I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.

My only theory:
 The clutch bolts seemed a little "loose" when I removed them.  They were still tight enough to require a wrench but not as tight as I'd expect.  Maybe they were just loose enough to fuck up the clutch engagement/disengagement?  I didn't change shit.  Only took it apart and put it all back together.

Fixed the engine from rocking around.  The lower transmission bolt fell out on the road somewhere.  I put another on and used loctite since it's not threaded enough to hold tight, and we'll see how long it lasts...

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »

gallon of gas and a match will cure your problems as some would say, But I am with Chuck on this one. .Springs are either starting to shit the bed or missing!

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »

gtfo snitchbody nobody asked your dumb ass

Turkey soup pancakes sir

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

Hydro or cable trans?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »

Hydro.

No fucking clue.  Took the engine out, and was pissed that I saw nothing wrong.  Put it all back together and it works just fine...

Widebody -- Said a couple times, the springs were fine and all there.

I don't beat on the clutch or transmission and the clutch only has about 5-7k miles.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »

When it wouldn't go into gear, did you physically check if the slave was moving?

Check under the dash that your clutch master linkage is ok, that's the only thing I can think of other than weird trans/clutch junk goin on.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »

When it wouldn't go into gear, did you physically check if the slave was moving?

Check under the dash that your clutch master linkage is ok, that's the only thing I can think of other than weird trans/clutch junk goin on.

The slave cylinder piston is what I assume you're talking about, and no I didn't.

Dunno.  Put another 80 miles on it today without issue.

I guess I'll just wait for the next issue to pop up.  Surely won't be pulling the engine until I check all the other crap first...  Pissed me off to pull it and find out it's not what I thought it was.

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 02:39:47 AM »

yeah time is a killer when rushed to resolve something that was a spook

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

chris

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:01:08 AM »

The slave cylinder piston is what I assume you're talking about, and no I didn't.

I guess I'll just wait for the next issue to pop up.  Surely won't be pulling the engine until I check all the other crap first...  Pissed me off to pull it and find out it's not what I thought it was.

How many times have you pulled motors out of that thing now?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »

How many times have you pulled motors out of that thing now?

1 - the a6
2 - block #1
3 - dead block #1
4 - flywheel bolt block #2
5 - this last time block #2

should be good for a while...

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 01:09:13 AM »

Josh, i dont know whats wrong, but i swear, you have buk style luck, if not worse, maybe buk has jorsher style luck.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »

It's like you own a Y-49 CRX.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »

lol, i had one of those for a minute, it was a repainted one.

It got stolen from the previous owner, stripped and dumped in a field.

I had it crushed.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »

Josh, i dont know whats wrong, but i swear, you have buk style luck, if not worse, maybe buk has jorsher style luck.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »

i would check the master cyl. once they start to go out it will usually have a dead spot before the clutch gives you pressure then when you adjust it back out the pedal grabs really high.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »

i would check the master cyl. once they start to go out it will usually have a dead spot before the clutch gives you pressure then when you adjust it back out the pedal grabs really high.

I'm going to drive it until it dies.

The master cylinder is up in the dash, at the top of the pedal assembly.  Don't feel like bothering with it :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up