:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: AC TIG I dont think so  (Read 16313 times)

DasPoop

• Certified OG
AC TIG I dont think so
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »

I went to EAA today in Oshkosh Wi. Its for home built and small aircraft as well as new products that help the industry. Well I stumbled across this booth and was amazed. Not much amazes me anymore but this was awesome. He let me use the product and welding aluminum was very easy took all of about 30 sec to get the hang of anyways here are some pics of what i welded it was some 22ga sheet. So for IC piping and even intake manifolds it would work ideal.

Here is the website for the product it hooks up to and standard oxy/act outfit

It also cuts up to 1"thick faster and more precise than a plasma

http://www.cobratorches.com/

Just thought I would toss this out there its also happens to be under 500$

Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

BenDover

Re: AC TIG I dont think so
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »

Same thing as oxy/aectylene welding just with different torch :?:
Vouches(OHMT)-Birdley42008,Boosted_StinkyNuts,99redek,ichbinsobose,d-t,sikcrx89,Hollas628,96_civ,volumeking333,SmellySOHC,TunerToys,

Sold to -ghettoturbo, chris m,b20accord

caged

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »

I had one of these a few years ago, It wasnt too bad but I got sick of paying bottle hire.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »

I call bullshit on cutting faster and more accurate than a plasma. Have you ever used a plasma cutter?

The weld looks nice though
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »

did you watch the video on the website and i saw with my own eyes it cut 1/2" plate in about .100 strips with damn near zero slag. I am picking one up next week and will have a write up on how it works to cut a flange weld a manifold and build IC piping all in the same product
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »

I thought someone posted this before...maybe some other site though. Looks like a decent alternative to a $2k TIG for the poor man.

I'll definately look forward to the write-up. BTW How's the bottom of that weld look?
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »

it has no burn through and is basically the same pattern on the top and bottom. I think it too is a great alternative to a 2000$ tig and it can lay some pretty impressive welds too

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »

The weld looks nice though

I guess nice is subjective. I wouldn't use that on anything i cared about.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »

did you watch the video on the website and i saw with my own eyes it cut 1/2" plate in about .100 strips with damn near zero slag. I am picking one up next week and will have a write up on how it works to cut a flange weld a manifold and build IC piping all in the same product

yes, i watched the video and it doesnt cut as clean as a plasma. i have a plasma cutter and use it on a regular basis.

it might be worth picking up for the aluminum welding since my tig is DC only
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »

Well I am going to pick one up and for under 500$ you cant beat it. Because ok so it doesnt cut (as good) as a plasma and maybe doesnt weld (as good) as a tig but if it saves you 2000$+ and still gets the job done its scores good in my book. Plus you dont need to wire 220 or 480 to use the damn thing

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »

im not knocking the torch. it did a damn fine job of cutting and welding for what it is. but claiming that it cuts better should be backed up by actual results and not cuts i could make with a standard oxy/acy torch
obd1>gtgtall

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »

alright i do admit i have only cut sheet with plasma but i would say they are comparable for both thick and thin materials

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »

Well I am going to pick one up and for under 500$ you cant beat it. Because ok so it doesnt cut (as good) as a plasma and maybe doesnt weld (as good) as a tig but if it saves you 2000$+ and still gets the job done its scores good in my book. Plus you dont need to wire 220 or 480 to use the damn thing

Thing is the tig will make you money and this well will only cut things and weld half assed. so yeah way better.  :?:

And who says a tig is $2000+ like your tossing around. I could pick up a 180sd for $1200 right now which is more then i would offer him, but yeah there not all $2000+. Hell my brand new sync 200 runner was only $1800

BTW i have ran my sync 200 off a dryer plug for a few months when i didn't have 220 at my place. shit worked fine and i ran a 25' extension cord to the outlet. SO.........

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »

Tinmantech is full of tips and tools for welding aluminum with a torch, it is neither difficult or new - just rare, as we become more technologically driven. 

I thought someone posted this before...maybe some other site though. Looks like a decent alternative to a $2k TIG for the poor man.

Oxy/fuel setups are cheap to get into, expensive to use.  Not for the poor man.  Shame, too, I loved using a torch to weld, and the results can be world class in the hands of a master.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:02:53 AM by Joseph Davis »

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

A) not every poor man has a garage with 220vac (or wants to risk an electrical fire when they try aluminum)
B) not every poor man has nogs around him selling TIGs to support tweaking. The only drugies around me are black people, and they don't weld.
C) not everyone plans on making money with their production workshop
d) not every poor man gives a shit about making beautiful welds. Just working welds. THIS IS RHMT you niggers, did someone forget that? Most if not all birdshit fluxcore compilations outlast the motors they're used on.
E) argon and electricity is not free compared to oxygen & acetylene.

I want to get an AC TIG, but to justify even $1200 for doing an occational charge pipe setup is kinda crazy. It would be cheaper to get a spool gun & a 20cf tank of helium, tack weld with a MIG, and pay someone to TIG the rest. Or just do it in stainless & use a cheap DC TIG or MIG set for stainless. So $500 + renting tanks a few weeks a year isn't too bad. I can say I've saved money with my MIG already, but with a TIG...

The only way I can see a "real" TIG being a cost-effective option for the occational hobbyist is if all they have to do is buy a handtruck & bolt cutters, and know someone with a TIG who's on vacation... :-\
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »

A) not every poor man has a garage with 220vac (or wants to risk an electrical fire when they try aluminum)
B) not every poor man has nogs around him selling TIGs to support tweaking. The only drugies around me are black people, and they don't weld.
C) not everyone plans on making money with their production workshop
d) not every poor man gives a shit about making beautiful welds. Just working welds. THIS IS RHMT you niggers, did someone forget that? Most if not all birdshit fluxcore compilations outlast the motors they're used on.
E) argon and electricity is not free compared to oxygen & acetylene.

I want to get an AC TIG, but to justify even $1200 for doing an occational charge pipe setup is kinda crazy. It would be cheaper to get a spool gun & a 20cf tank of helium, tack weld with a MIG, and pay someone to TIG the rest. Or just do it in stainless & use a cheap DC TIG or MIG set for stainless. So $500 + renting tanks a few weeks a year isn't too bad. I can say I've saved money with my MIG already, but with a TIG...

The only way I can see a "real" TIG being a cost-effective option for the occational hobbyist is if all they have to do is buy a handtruck & bolt cutters, and know someone with a TIG who's on vacation... :-\

Did you read what i said? i simply stated tig welders do not ALL cost $2000+++. That and made the statement that he could actually pay back his investment rather then dicking around with some garbage out dated technology that is "cool" because it's an overpriced oxy/fuel setup. And around here theres maybe 10 guys that tig weld and most won't even touch a welding job unless it's a full on circle track frame. I have had countless people ask for small little repairs that required tig welding because other shops turned them down. So point made you can make money even if your not trying.

IDK about your area but most landlords and insurance companies around here are starting to hate oxy/fuel setup's. There way more dangerous then a tig/mig stick any day.

production workshop? that has nothing to do with this guys "cool" torch vs tig welders.

I can't say i understand the "rhmt way" but i don't personally prefer to build crap regardless of what it is. Thats where i guess we disagree on things.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

MIG + spool gun actually turns out great, if I had one I wouldn't take my charge pipe off to someone with a TIG.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

i would love a spool gun but reason i am buying this and its been stated i live out here in the boonies and i am not sure what kind of power i can get out here.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »

Did you read what i said? i simply stated tig welders do not ALL cost $2000+++.

And then I countered that in certain places, they all *do* cost >$2000. Not many people around here buy new welders, let alone try to unload them for nothing after a year. That combined with this shithole area where the only automotive TIG weld anyone with money will accept is one done by a well-known shop. There are lots of lakes for a boating market, but most are rich people so again, they only accept welds from actual weldors/shops.

Try tracking http://milwaukee.craigslist.org for a while like me. You will not see a TIG less than 10 yrs old go for less than $1500. Here's the only accaptable TIG I could find on it:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1865458464.html

SgtB

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »

i would love a spool gun but reason i am buying this and its been stated i live out here in the boonies and i am not sure what kind of power i can get out here.

You don't have 30 amps? It's one breaker, a socket, and some wire. Spool gun is the go-to for the occasional DIY.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »

Did you read what i said? i simply stated tig welders do not ALL cost $2000+++.

And then I countered that in certain places, they all *do* cost >$2000. Not many people around here buy new welders, let alone try to unload them for nothing after a year. That combined with this shithole area where the only automotive TIG weld anyone with money will accept is one done by a well-known shop. There are lots of lakes for a boating market, but most are rich people so again, they only accept welds from actual weldors/shops.

Try tracking http://milwaukee.craigslist.org for a while like me. You will not see a TIG less than 10 yrs old go for less than $1500. Here's the only accaptable TIG I could find on it:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1865458464.html

You know i somewhat understand. It's just were not really that big out here 200k people or so. And i can find deals on welding gear just based on asking around. Like last year i found a 200dx for $1200 with no gear just the box it was "theft recovered" and scratched up or some shit. There out there just need to ask around. I don't use craigslist unless i'm looking for a car.

Most people just demand a weld that is cosmetically pretty, as well they should. thats all. but i know the type who only will go to a shop even though it costs more and is less quality. been there done that. haha

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 11:51:20 PM »

malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »

wait how many people are from cheese land

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »

im in madtown
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »

i see. i just moved to oshkosh from chicago and i am trying to meet up with people.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »

I know some mods at the wishoc.com website, although some of those people aren't as DIY as the people here. They set up a lot of local rides/meets, so it's a decent place to check.

t_cel_t, that's a decent find. Too bad it's all the way across the state from me.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

My wife is from Kenosha. We go up there at least once a year. One of these days I'm gonna meet up with some cheese head nogs
obd1>gtgtall

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 06:40:55 PM »

cool yeah i have some friends from stevens point too

BenDover

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 10:20:35 PM »

show us the backside for penetration.
Vouches(OHMT)-Birdley42008,Boosted_StinkyNuts,99redek,ichbinsobose,d-t,sikcrx89,Hollas628,96_civ,volumeking333,SmellySOHC,TunerToys,

Sold to -ghettoturbo, chris m,b20accord

jabberwock

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »

:D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up