:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airplane thread, I'm super bored at work  (Read 4592 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
Airplane thread, I'm super bored at work
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »

We are super slow, so I figured I would post a thread for this project.

These planes come with a built in parachute and it has to get replaced every 10 years.

Here is where it all started. 10 year old Cirrus sr22

Using measurements from the back window and the fuselage centerline, you drill a hole in the panel covering the parachute. Then put a dent puller in the hole and rip the panel off.

There is a parachute under there

Empty cavity for the parachute

New panel next to the old one. You can't reuse the old one. You do use the old one as a template to fit the new one though.

The dark spot in the top corner is a piece of aluminum sandwiched in the panel. There is basically a huge model rocket motor inside the cavity with the parachute. When you pull the handle, the rocket busts the panel off by hitting that aluminum part. Then the rocket continues up pulling the parachute out of the hole.

New panel after being cut on an upright bandsaw and sanded to fit the opening.

That's all for now. Going to lunch. I may or may not get it bonded back in today. We will see what pops up after lunch.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: Airplane thread, I'm super bored at work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »

Awesome like fab stuff like this.

Oh and before Stevo says it

DO WORK!!!!!!!!!   :noel:

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »

Ok, time to bond the new panel on.

Aviation approved (joke) door gap sealer

It goes on the inside edge to make a channel for the adhesive to sit in. Also keeps the adhesive from getting on the parachute.

Sort of an after/before

Overview

Final look before closing it up for the next 10 years.... Or crash, which ever comes first

Adhesive kit. Biggest one is a structural powder to put in the resin for bonding, next size is resin and smallest is hardener. Pour all together and stir

Stir a lot.

Now spread in even with the foam tape, if its even with the outer surface that's nice too.

Ok, I lied, this is the last look before the panel goes on

Ok, panel on and held down with masking tape. Tomorrow it will get heated at 210°F for 4 hours.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you grind the old adhesive that's on the plane down to get a good solid bond, but the panel is left untouched. They don't want a very good bond to the panel so it will come off easily. Tomorrow I'll show the heat curing setup, then bodywork and paint.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:33:34 PM »

cool write up
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »

So, after reading the entire Internet on my phone and playing a motocross game, I still had some time left so I set up the heat blanket. This is pretty basic compared to what we have to do for Cessna. For them we have a computer controlled heater with multiple probes and printer. It can ramp up at a certain rate, hold a while, ramp up more, cool down etc. it's cool, but not needed here.

We just use a multimeter with temp probe taped to the area where the adhesive is

Then put this blanket on. It has a thermostat in it, but no temp markings or anything. We just monitor with the multimeter and make adjustments as needed.

Then cover with a moving blanket to insulate and keep the temp steady rather than fluctuating as the heat blanket kicks on and off

I won't actually turn it on till tomorrow. I was just killing time setting it up. Phone battery is at 13% with 20min left in the day. Hope I make it.
obd1>gtgtall

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

Looks kinda fun. I do too much sciencey shit at my work. I wish it was more hands on.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »

It has its ups and downs. I'm usually so bored I want to gouge my eyes out, but sometimes I get fun stuff. This was more boring that fun. If I can find enough pics, ill post my custom led landing lights I made. That was fun
obd1>gtgtall

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »

Awesome like fab stuff like this.

this
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »

I want to get into planes so badly.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »

They can be a lot of fun. I enjoy flying when I can and some of the projects are fun. What kills me is the level of skill required for planes and the pay couldn't be more opposite from where they should be. I don't just mean that like we don't get paid enough either. The pay has dropped(not that it was very good to begin with) and the good techs have moved on. I work with a bunch of retards. It really disgusts me how it has turned into jiffy lube in comparison to where this shop was when I started there. That and a few other things has completely sucked the life out of me for the job. Most days I think I'd be just as happy sitting behind a desk. I don't know cause I have never had a job like that, but it seems that way.
obd1>gtgtall

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:35 AM »

I can second that.  I was building RVs (not motorhomes) for a while, then worked on a Paul Allen's warbird collection and I could barely survive.  For the stuff we were doing the pay was asinine.  I ended up switching career fields.  I absolutely miss working on airplanes though.  If I could still be building and working on RVs, I would be a happy camper.  Work looks awesome by the way.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »

Thanks. I should have a finished pic today. I decided Friday to take Monday off, so my dad probably painted it. I'll buff it out today and take a pic
obd1>gtgtall

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

Little update. Put primer on it yesterday and painted it today. It will get buffed out tomorrow and you will never know I was in there.

obd1>gtgtall

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

Nice work!  Dont remember, is the Cirrus all plastic?
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

Man skydiving just makes me so much less nervous then going down with a plane with a chute deployed. Have you ever had to test this function?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »

i have never tested the chute. i have yet to hear of anyone actually using it in a real emergency either. we are just a service center though. the factory is in deluth MN

the cirrus is all fiberglass except for the carbon fiber doors. even the main landing gear is fiberglass. the nose gear is steel
obd1>gtgtall

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »

All done. Gonna start a new thread today or tomorrow for a different project. It's a little more interesting for me to do.

obd1>gtgtall

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

Kool, keep this kind of stuff coming.  :noel:
Pages: [1]   Go Up