:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I fix this ECU?  (Read 2228 times)

theidealone

Can I fix this ECU?
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »

I have a P28 that I installed a Demon into. Everytime I go to connect the Demon to the laptop via USB, I cant get the CEL/Fuel Pump to go on/off at start up. As soon as I unplug the USB from my computer, everything is normal. I swapped ECUs, Demon boards, etc, and found that it only happens with my ECU. It can be whatever Demon, and it happens. If I put my Demon in another ECU, its fine. If I use another ECU and Demon, its fine.

So has anyone had an issue with the ECU/Demon, like this? Or maybe with the Ostrich? What would cause this, and how can I fix it?

SgtB

Re: Can I fix this ECU?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »

Sounds like a bad power or ground trace on the connector. Ground loops suck. Look for cracked traces and cold solder joints. Check and see if any V-regs are getting hot with the adapter plugged in too.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »

Sounds fucked.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »

I have a similar issue before and thought it was the ECU.

But it was the harness to the ECU.

Everytime I moved the ECU when disconnecting the harness and swap ecus I would get the CEL off.

So started playing with the harness only, usually putting tension on the wires with the suspect ecu still attached I got the CEL light to go off.

Found there was a sensor power was damaged.

Have you cut jumper J1 and see if it is just you chip socket or if it is the rest of the hardware.

If the CEL goes out after J1 cut look at the solder joints under the chip socket and possibly look at 74 HC373

If you see everything is kosher. Then look and see if you have any bridged joints under the ROM socket.

Worse case desolder the ROM socket and take out careful not pull any traces. And try to reinstall a socket (new one preferably).

BTW did this happen before the demon was installed?

If the

theidealone

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »

Im thinking the same thing JD. LOL. Im about to go buy a P06, and order some new components.

As far as the harness, I almost guarantee not. It only happens with this ECU. I have plugged two other Demon installed ECUs, and a Hondata S300 ECU into the car, and they all operate with ZERO issues. Anytime I revert back to my ECU, it does it again.

I havent cut J1, because I dont know what it would do. I wouldnt be able to see if the USB effected it or not, at that point. Or at least I dont see how I would be able to troubleshoot that specifically.

I went back over all of my soldering connections on the chip kit, and the PWM components, and it didnt change anything. I will take your advice, and see if removing the 28 pin chip and putting one back in fixes anything.

But I may just get this P06, and solder it up. I think it was just the ECU from the start, was fucked. I never did get to try the car in a EX or SI. I put it in my friend's stock 94 DX, and it ran it. It just ran rich, and through a code. I assumed the code was for VTEC, and never checked or worried. :(

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »

Im thinking the same thing JD. LOL. Im about to go buy a P06, and order some new components.

As far as the harness, I almost guarantee not. It only happens with this ECU. I have plugged two other Demon installed ECUs, and a Hondata S300 ECU into the car, and they all operate with ZERO issues. Anytime I revert back to my ECU, it does it again.

I havent cut J1, because I dont know what it would do. I wouldnt be able to see if the USB effected it or not, at that point. Or at least I dont see how I would be able to troubleshoot that specifically.

I gots a po6 for sale cheap.  :)
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=13835.0

I went back over all of my soldering connections on the chip kit, and the PWM components, and it didnt change anything. I will take your advice, and see if removing the 28 pin chip and putting one back in fixes anything.

But I may just get this P06, and solder it up. I think it was just the ECU from the start, was fucked. I never did get to try the car in a EX or SI. I put it in my friend's stock 94 DX, and it ran it. It just ran rich, and through a code. I assumed the code was for VTEC, and never checked or worried. :(
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

theidealone

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »

You said cheap? Negro, I JUST bought one for 20 bucks.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »

What are you going to do with p28?

theidealone

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »

I dunno. I might see if I can fix it. Why? Or rob the components out of it, cus Im too cheap to buy new chip and PWM components from Moates. LOL.

You need it or something?

theidealone

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »

And you do? If so you should be able to diagnose it, and tell me where to look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up