:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stainless MIG wire, argon?  (Read 3000 times)

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
stainless MIG wire, argon?
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »

Would straight argon be okay for stainless wire on a MIG welder? Tack welding only.

I want to use my MIG for tack welding, since my cheapo TIG is scratch start & sucks for tacks. I don't want to use steel since it's for all stainless parts. I'm not concerned about penetration, looks, etc - it just has to hold until I can TIG over it. I wouldn't mind grinding
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: stainless MIG wire, argon?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »

Yes.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »

One more question, should I use .023"/.025" or .035" wire? It would be mostly for sch10 fittings.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »

.023/.025
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »

pretty much the smaller the wire the smaller the tack is gonna be. just watch out every time ive tig'd over a mig tack it allways crackles and pops, not sure if theres inclusions or something causing it but grinding as much of the mig away as possible helps.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »

where do you find stainless mig wire? i have looked and never seen it
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »

where do you find stainless mig wire? i have looked and never seen it

Every welding supply store ever. You have not looked that close obviously.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »

no actual welding supply stores around here. home depot and tractor supply are about all i have
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

Might have to buy it online then.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »

Might have to buy it online then.
I have a roll of it that im never going to use again, but shipping to you probably would be spendy since ur in Canaduuuhhhh  :-\

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »

pretty much the smaller the wire the smaller the tack is gonna be. just watch out every time ive tig'd over a mig tack it allways crackles and pops, not sure if theres inclusions or something causing it but grinding as much of the mig away as possible helps.

I'd guess it's from not having shielding gas for the initial arc? I don't care about grinding it away (I'd do that either way), I'm mostly concerned about rust & color.

Hey 88dx, lmk what you'd want for it and I'll probably buy the spool. I've only seen big spools of it on ebay and local, unless I special order it.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »

My mig welder let's me run the gas before the arc. I don't know if it was planned or not, but I can pull the trigger a little bit and get just gas. I do that to put out fires when welding weird things that catch on fire
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: [1]   Go Up