:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam Timing  (Read 3198 times)

hamburgler

Cam Timing
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

I'm going to be putting on Skunk2 cam gears with GSR cams into my built LSVtec tonight.  Would -1, -1 be a good place to begin or start off with 0, 0 then make adjustments?

From some of the reading Ive been doing, people with turbo motors are making gains at -2, -2 but just as many others say leave it at 0, 0, so...?

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
Re: Cam Timing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

Oh boy your setting your self up to fail. You need a degree kit. Also hope you skank2 cams are good, and don't give you problems, because according to skank2 there cams are "perfect" :?:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

BoostForLife

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »

Only the dyno shows gains, start at 0,0 for now. Once on the dyno you can mess around with the timing, unless you're pullling not enough vaccum right now and they need adjustment or your timing belt is off.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »

Oh boy your setting your self up to fail. You need a degree kit. Also hope you skank2 cams are good, and don't give you problems, because according to skank2 there cams are "perfect" :?:
I didn't realize S2 made gsr cams?  ???

I have 94+ gsr cams in my lsvtec with the old tuner series S2 cam gears and I am running them at 0,0. It runs and idles fine with them there and that is with the head and block being decked. I haven't been to a dyno yet to play with them so all I'm saying is it will run fine with them there.
92GSR - mild interest

hamburgler

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

So no one has any experience with adjustable cam gears?  I was planning to play with overlap in a couple weeks.  Just wondering what to expect. 

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

DYNO IT

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »

I didn't realize S2 made gsr cams?  ???

I have 94+ gsr cams in my lsvtec with the old tuner series S2 cam gears and I am running them at 0,0. It runs and idles fine with them there and that is with the head and block being decked. I haven't been to a dyno yet to play with them so all I'm saying is it will run fine with them there.

Lol reading owns me :P
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:42:55 AM »

So no one has any experience with adjustable cam gears?  I was planning to play with overlap in a couple weeks.  Just wondering what to expect. 

You can make some minor gains on the dyno, but it won't make a difference on the track.  The only times you need to spin the gears on a turbo B-series is when you are trying to get the last 25-40 whp out of your compressor and then you just retard the exhaust cam a degree or two, or if you are dealing with a super low CR engine with a large-ish cam - 8:1 B16 with Skank9 Stage 2's sticks out in my memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up