:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking in Rebuilt Motor  (Read 7941 times)

Cooljnateman

Breaking in Rebuilt Motor
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »

does anyone have any articles anywere i could read, im putting a rebuilt ls in my car monday.

I just wana make sure i do this right
like what oils to use pre break in and after
how to drive it for first couple hundred miles
can i throw the turbo on right away or not
how important is it to tune it now

Just a whole bunch of newb questions since this is gna b a first
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
Re: Breaking in Rebuilt Motor
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:52:11 PM »

Shut up and listen this time thats how.....

Don't beat on it till your told or after i do......   

Google search........

http://www.google.com/

Cooljnateman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »

i read all that i just want some first hand experience tips and recomendations
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »

Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!

Cooljnateman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »

break in equals lots of thick oil and change em alot plus a little bit of BEATIN UP DA MOTOR

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »

There's tons of info on this, just search. I would fire it up to a 2K idle let it warm up to temp, make sure nothing leaks, shutdown and let it cool overnight. put radiator cap on, fire it up. let it warm up to temp at 2K idle, then go break it in the right way, then park it and change the oil and filter. Cheap oil, good filter though. Then put 2K on it like that. After 2K I'd switch to synthetic and it's done.

But a hundred people could chime in and argue that my way is dumb, pointless, retarded, stupid, etc. Do some research and come to your own conclusions.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Ghetto_D

• Certified OG
  • Ho Chi Minh Shoot a Load on your CHin
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »

I just droped mine in. started on the first try. Checked for leaks, and drove on the freeway at night for 7 hours 500 miles. went home, changed the oil, took it easy for the next 400 miles (1 week of going to work and back), then turboed it and started raping it on a daily basis

Cooljnateman

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »

would there b a problem turboing it from the get go?

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:48:48 AM »

would there b a problem turboing it from the get go?

well if you are using the same setup from befor and you had a solid tune on it then it shouldnt be a prob, but if you had some 9.5afr soot blowin tune then your gunna fuck your cylinder walls.
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 03:54:20 AM »

2 heat cycles never letting the rpms stay the same.
then high vac pulls.
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

biscuit

• 300HP D In the Works
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »

vacuum is your friend ;)

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »

lol so far everyone has done to opposite of what i did

ALWAYS make sure your AFRs are in check

fire it up, let it warm up and adjust fuel to get desired AFRs
(some people change oil after initial heat cycle, but i dont)
drive low RPM for a few minutes making sure AFR is fine.
do a few medium throttle pulls, only taking it to 5k or so, let the engine decel you
change oil
drive around always changing gears and keeping RPMs fluctuating, hit boost, just dont rev the fucker all the way out. always let the engine slow you down. all the time make sure your AFRs are in check.
after about 500miles, change oil
drive the fucker like you stole it, boost, hard pulls, etc...again, let the engine slow you down
change the oil after 750 miles

good to go  O0
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »

Don't break it in unless it's getting tuned. Or if you're setup is close enough to stock than you can use a stock ecu to break it in.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »

getting ready to do this again, so lets recap...

double check everything over...like 4 times more lol.
start motor up, listen and look for funny shit. watch the wideband, look for leaks and FIX if there are any. let idle for about 20mins till the fans cycle threw a couple times (Honda recommends this for new bearings btw), bleeding the coolant (got a sweet funnel that does all the work).
after that, shut it off. let it cool a min, pull the plugs out and do a compression test. if its legit (and it aways has been what i wanted) you call LEED tell him it runs minty with no leaks or CEL (you need to fix those when they come up) and tell him your coming up, and for him to verify dyno apointment.
LEED works his magic, we rip on the car all fuckin day adding more boost/timing/rpms till we get a magic dyno number....

do some dirty 2nds =  ;D  <~ then go home happy
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:13:45 PM »

i think you mean 3rds  :noel:
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »

i think you mean 3rds  :noel:

tru, this new setup may infact do some 3rds...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »

getting ready to do this again, so lets recap...

double check everything over...like 4 times more lol.
start motor up, listen and look for funny shit. watch the wideband, look for leaks and FIX if there are any. let idle for about 20mins till the fans cycle threw a couple times (Honda recommends this for new bearings btw), bleeding the coolant (got a sweet funnel that does all the work).
after that, shut it off. let it cool a min, pull the plugs out and do a compression test. if its legit (and it aways has been what i wanted) you call LEED tell him it runs minty with no leaks or CEL (you need to fix those when they come up) and tell him your coming up, and for him to verify dyno apointment.
LEED works his magic, we rip on the car all fuckin day adding more boost/timing/rpms till we get a magic dyno number....

Might want to check the lug nuts  :mexi:

jarebear667

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »

then high vac pulls.

+1 and rape to your pleasure
midwest HMT!

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »

d-series + 10lbs
---------------------
 turn you out
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

then high vac pulls.
^
Do this. Let it warm all the way up. (as long as everything is good) go out and pull slowley going to 3k and let it decell down to 1, then go to 3.5k and let it go down to 1k, do 500rpm increments up to about 6k. then bring her home dump the oil, and filter. Run about 250 miles do another oil change and you should be good to go. High vac seats rings.

My 8.0:1 low comp Ls compression tests out at 175 across the board. And put down 125whp on a stock tune.
With-in 50 miles of having my Ls running, I was at the track bouncing off the rev limt.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Cooljnateman

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »

then high vac pulls.
^
Do this. Let it warm all the way up. (as long as everything is good) go out and pull slowley going to 3k and let it decell down to 1, then go to 3.5k and let it go down to 1k, do 500rpm increments up to about 6k. then bring her home dump the oil, and filter. Run about 250 miles do another oil change and you should be good to go. High vac seats rings.

My 8.0:1 low comp Ls compression tests out at 175 across the board. And put down 125whp on a stock tune.
With-in 50 miles of having my Ls running, I was at the track bouncing off the rev limt.

looks like this is my winner, and for everyone on the site and for my own sake, i will NOT fuck up this time

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »

then high vac pulls.
^

I did this on a freinds re ringed b16, and it never had a issue, ran great. We got the idea from his uncle who raced cars along time ago.

MantisX

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »

I ran mine till it warmed up revving here and there, changed the oil and boosted 9lbs for about 1k miles, changed to synthetic and turned it up to a smooth 15. Running fine so far.

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »

keep an eye on engine coolant temps.  You can do a good bit more with your engine if you keep the engine from getting "hot" in the first couple heat cycles.  Also, having an engine management there to fix any imperfections upon first startup is nice to have.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

i broke in my last engine witha 3 hour drive to the dyno, beat the piss out of it and drove it home. no issues and i have been beating on it for 6 months
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »

I use non-detergent oil first, with ZDDP additive if the valvetrain isnt roller or shim and bucket type.   then after 500 decent miles with a rip here and there, I switch to syn

Cooljnateman

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »

aight good info thanks for the input errr1, ill let u know how it goes soooon  :yes:

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:12 AM »

I started mine up with DMC on the phone. cool trick. Pull the plugs and crank Motor over to get the oil in the bearings. Start it up. Fan kicks on. Let cool. . check coolant level. Change oil and filter. Start back up and I beat the fuck out of it. 20 miles. Changed oil to royal purple next two weeks beat it. Then off to Blundell for my 488hp tune.

Golden.

Oh dont forget to check your valve lash after initial warm up and check at around room temp.

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 01:29:32 AM »

people who think they have to do the whole 500 mile break-in shit make me laugh. you can tell whos built motors before and who hasnt.

i remember the owners manual in my SRT4 said to break the car in for 300 miles doing WOT pulls every so often. the 300 miles was mostly clutch break in.

my break in is start up hold at 2K till op temp. shut off, change oil, dirty thirds in boost to seat the rings.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »

I remember very distinctly the first time I was ever around when a Motor was broken in. I would have been some where in that 7-10 years old area. My grandfather had just finished putting a blown 408 in a 55 belair. He used a drill with some home made adapter to pressurize and prime the oil system, set the timing close to where it should be, dumped a pop bottle cap full of fuel down the carb, and had me hit the key. As soon as it fired he took over throttle control, and tinkered with it till it had a high idle. After that he just played with the throttle up and down for about 20min, shut off the car (I didn't realize till many years later that he was breaking in the cam), changed the oil, set the valves, fired it back up, let it get up to operating temp again, did his final adjustment on setting the distributer, as well as setting the carb for the proper idle, then said get in.

We proceeded to do about a 2 block long cooker, drove around town, out on to the hiway did a couple more full throttle pulls, came back to town, put fuel in the car, went back to the farm, changed the oil again, and he pulled the plugs looked at them and changed them out. That was it. 
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up