:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this part called  (Read 3466 times)

evo_lucian

What is this part called
« on: July 30, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »

not the actual turbo i am using but you get the idea. Im using a t28, its missing this piece. What exactly is the purpose of this plate and can a turbo be used without it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:55:33 PM by evo_lucian »

DasPoop

• Certified OG
Re: What is this part called
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »

iirc it serves 2 purposes one its like a carbon cover so your turbo bearings dont get all full of gunk and it also serves as a crush gasket and take up come slack to seal the housing to the center section. and i wouldnt run one without it.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

evo_lucian

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »

Thanks a million. I used a piston ring in is place to serve as the gasket part. just cut it to size and fitted it in turbine housing where the plate would normally sit. Will post pics of it later. The gunk on the bearing part i can leave with. The turbo is a free bee and if it goes i got a new one waiting to take its place.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »

def got see a pic of that.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:51:53 PM »

Just go ahead and put the new one on??
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »

+1 That piston ring is going to leak exhaust where the gaps meet

evo_lucian

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »

The new one is a t3/t4 , external wastegate only, which i dont have.  I used a t28 i had laying around and modified an unkown wastegate to fit it.

t28

7afe piston ring cut out

Fitted

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »

here is your solution put the ring cap in between two of the bolts clock your turbo as needed then put a litlte strip of weld between the cehter housing and the turbine housing and bam problem solved or if you want fuck it and weld the two together if its a free turbo who gives a rats ass  :noel: 

evo_lucian

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »

Sounds doable. If the piston ring fails i will give it a go.  :yes:

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

Um yeah you need that back cap/ heat shield. doesn't really work without it.

evo_lucian

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »

I have to other broken t28's i got from friends and neither of the plates fit my t28. Gonna try it out tomorrow. Worst case scenario i destroy an already broken turbo. O0

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »

The new one is a t3/t4 , external wastegate only, which i dont have.  I used a t28 i had laying around and modified an unkown wastegate to fit it.

t28

7afe piston ring cut out

Fitted

that turbo looks like it has the dust cap???

evo_lucian

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »

Whats a dust cap ? the turbine housing looks like it has the plate in the pics but it doesnt.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:03:39 PM by evo_lucian »

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »

well that carbon cap crush gasket thing I say go for the piston ring deal or better yet try stacking 2 if you got them and make it gapless

evo_lucian

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »

Yeah i was thinking about that when i was taking the housing off to snap the pics earlier. Will fit another ring tomorrow.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »

It's not going to work, you do know oil is behind that shield right? How do you think you get oil coking between the center section and the heat shield. That shit doesn't come from the exhaust.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »

It's not going to work, you do know oil is behind that shield right? How do you think you get oil coking between the center section and the heat shield. That shit doesn't come from the exhaust.

i think that is besides the point if its a junk turbo i would think its going to smoke anyways so rather than the oil sitting in the cap its just going to leak out and get burnt up anyhow. and dont think that provides any sort of "oil gasket" because the thing is loose until you put the housing on and I ran a turbo for a very long time that had one chewed up by shitty bearings before i rebuilt the turbo.

evo_lucian

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »

The beveled edge goes around the area highlighted in red and the turbine wheel covers everything as far as i have seen on the other turbo's i have taken apart .

If the oil manages to go past the seal then the turbine wheel looks to be the only thing stopping it from being burnt oil the exhaust as far as i can see. So if there is oil behind the plate then the seal was bad to begin with as far as i can see.

The shield rests against the center section and the turbine wheel and is surrounded by the hot exhaust gas so i highly doubt it does a good job at shielding oil and the seals from the center section. In my humble opinion it serves as a gasket for the turbine housing than any thing else, But i am a noob so i may be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:29:37 PM by evo_lucian »

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »

fuck it coupla piston rings and call it a day

evo_lucian

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

Yeah just gonna double the piston rings and may be a touch of sealant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up