:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Gas for Tig???  (Read 4058 times)

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
What Gas for Tig???
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »

I have been running straight argon on my HF tig for stainless and it has been working good.  My bottle is just about empty and I am picking up a Syncro200 as soon as Uncle Sam drops my tax return in my account.  Should I stick with straight Argon or look at a mix?  I want something that I can do stainless and aluminum with.  What do you guys run?
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
Re: What Gas for Tig???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »

strait argon
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »

Cool, I will just keep it the same then.  Awesome!!! ;D  God damn I can't wait to get this new fucking tig.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

civiceggturbo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »

straight argon for steel/stainless
helium and argon for ac aluminum 1 bottle for each
straight helium for dc aluminum

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »

What mix do you run for helium and argon?  What difference does the helium make?

civiceggturbo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »

i think my welder at work is 17 cfh helium and 14 cfh argon, two seperate bottles with lines connected to a Y, helium makes a huge difference because it heats up the metal faster

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »

anyone using argon/co2 for mild steel with a tig? i got the bottle when i only had a mig, since i got my tig, i just kept using it. i wonder if my welds would be better with straight argon
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »

Just use straight argon.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »

i use them both quite a bit so rather than switching the bottle back and forth, i think i might just get straight argon for the tig. then no more switching
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:19:11 PM »

in school we welded ac with strait argon and then strait helium and i didnt see any difference
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

in school we welded ac with strait argon and then strait helium and i didnt see any difference

I haven't used helium het, but i would think it would help on real thick AL jobs.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »

well apparently becuase its lighter then air it is really good for doing inverted welds
malone labe

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »

well apparently becuase its lighter then air it is really good for doing inverted welds

Shit, never really thought about it that way.  Would probably suck for doing the inside of a collector where you hope it pools in the bottom.

Toysrme

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »

Don't use Argon/co2 mix. That's for spray & pulse transfer mig. Using it with TIG will introduce impurities into the weld and will cross contaminate your tungsten into the weld also.

Helium is used for aluminum when you MUST have a hotter arc, but can't get a hotter welder, or increase your penetration without increasing your bead size & heat affected zone. It is expencive. Not only is it outright more expencive, but requires a significantly higher flow rate because of how much faster the helium disperses (even in overhead welding, tho it will build up in pockets once run). It is harder to light/maintain your arc, generally provides no benefit to the weld beyond 1/3 more heat input.

Stick with argon. With tig its a smooth running gas, good starting & cheap.

Helium has little benefit AFA applications that you will run into car wise. You will never find yourself needing helium.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:10:55 PM by Toysrme »

jundoc

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »

x2
VOUCHES; nbspnbsp jeffsciv23, TUNERTOYS,Ogubudiah,2G6,Y8crx,the 13th ,crx2211,soontobeDA,turboHF,40 psi 4g63

90turboteg

• Rebuildin turbos
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:38 AM »

ya i use straight argon 90% of the time on basic alum and steel work on engines, when im doing aluminum work like a crack in between seats or seat to a water jacket i burr down into the head, heat it in our oven for a few hours then turn the argon off and switch to 75%argon/25% helium mix. makes a huge difference in penetration. i don't need to use nearly as many amps to do the job. the preheat helps alot also. i also run a y setup but we still only run mixed helium/argon, helium is way to dam expensive. i noticed that there is less contamination, but the new aluminum acid cleaner helps alot.... you run into some nasty shit fixing core motors
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7900/l37c04d3e54190216b7259c.th.jpg
daily driven 86 crx. john Deere flat black, fresh dohc zc w/arp goodies w/75 wet shot
Vitara setup in the works... 400+whp goal be done this season
Pages: [1]   Go Up