:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The elusive answer to ignition breakup needed.  (Read 10642 times)

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
The elusive answer to ignition breakup needed.
« on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »

This mufuka is shitty.

Breaks up periodically between 7 and 8 grand.

Tried tuning the timing more on crome with no luck. Put hondata on it and the same thing. I've had 3 distributors on it, new rotors, caps, everything.

NGK 7's gapped at 20, then 19. Put the iridiums in it at 19.....nothing changes.

Put on an msd blaster ss ext. coil (not the canister kind). Car ran stronger, still with breakup.

On the dyno we played with the timing in that zone, had one run that had zero breakup. Let it all cool down, and the next run with NOTHING touched broke up.

Right now I'm debating getting the msd digital box as per JD's recommendation earlier, but I still can't figure out what the box does different than the ext. coil. Regardless, I'm not concerned with understanding it, I just want to know if it'll clear it up?

WTF else to check??  ???
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: The elusive answer to ignition breakup needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »

Sounds like your ignition input is shitty. I suspect poor factory wiring is part of the problem. Does the coil get +12V from the same wire as the ignitor? I'd try running a new wire from the battery through a relay to the ignition components.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:47:08 AM »

The new ext. coil is simply hooked up to the wiring inside the dist. from the stock coil. So, you're saying to check the voltage at the stock harness connector to make sure of 12v?
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

hotrex

• Certified OG
  • rough riding niggas since 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »

plug wires.  my car was doing tne same sit on the dyno.  canged the nwires and it was fine
1. nbspnbsp choda nbspnbsp 584 up, 134 down
 area between your bag and your asshole
Johnny bliss'#039#039s mom really worked my choda yesterday, I wont be able to ride my bike for a week

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »

Yeah, but you need to check the voltage at the ignitor and at the coil when it cuts out, to see if there's a correlation between low voltage and it cutting out. Be easier to just run a couple new wires and see if that fixes it. Nothing else it will surely help as factory wiring is probably puny.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

junkyard racer

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »

grounds? JDMers would ALWAYS add grounds to hp vehicles for this specific reason. 

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »

plug wires.  my car was doing tne same sit on the dyno.  canged the nwires and it was fine

x10,    i have cars on stock dizzys making 600+.  The iridiums work great,  if it were a spark energy problem you would have noticed a difference with them. 

How old is your fuel filter???

My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »

I've changed the wires as well. From brand new napa brand to ngk wires. Nothing.

I've got all new -6 fuel lines with one 100 micron aftermarket filter. I don't think fuel is the issue.

Be easier to just run a couple new wires and see if that fixes it. Nothing else it will surely help as factory wiring is probably puny.

That's what I'm about to do. Hopefully that fixes it because the next step is the digital box, and if I spend that kind of funds and it does nothing I'm gonna punch hotrex's baby mama.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »

if I spend that kind of funds and it does nothing I'm gonna punch hotrex's baby mama.

hate crimes on tranvestites are becoming out of control.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »

leakdown test? i've seen motors with blown headgaskets that didn't overheat, but misfired badly under higher load. new HG solved the problem. last ditch effort probably...

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »

Well, made a new harness for the distributor and hard wired it to the ecu. Once this bitch ass rain lets up I'll be able to test it out.

Zeniceguycrx

• Certified OG
  • BIG BOOST OG RICER, The one and only
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

eye on fuel pressure in that range?  If its even droping a couple of psi it could fuck with the tune
power wires to the pump?

High boost right?  You could have an injector going out or even some shit in the tip fucking up spray.
If you can graph the injector wave forms for all four injectors during brake up we can tell whats going on from there.

Also if you can graph the secondary ignition that could also tell us somthing aswell

if you look at the firing lines you can tell a lot!

You can also use a low amp current probe on the coil to check for even dwell time and a few other things
The 30psi king of rice

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:07:51 AM »

Well, I took it out, and just like the external coil it seems to be running stronger up top, but still breaking up. My rev limiter is also much more defined now.  ??? The limiter sounds like anti-lag.

I think I may focus on the fuel side of things. I've been told that I'm about at the end with 1 walbro, 1000cc, E85, and 402hp. An inline helper is what was suggested, I've just got to locate one and strap that on. It can't hurt, and it can't cost that much either. (I hope)

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »

If you want a cheap booster pump, pick up a bosch 044, off a CIS VW.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »

seen higher dyno numbers on E85 and a walbro/1000s.

you have stock wiring to the pump?!?! run some relay 10g off the battery to the pump.

which walbro do you have? real one? 255 or 255hp?
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »

Well, made a new harness for the distributor and hard wired it to the ecu. Once this bitch ass rain lets up I'll be able to test it out.
By hard wired it to the ECU, do you mean you ran a couple new heavy gauge fused wires through a relay or switch so that the ignitor and coil get solid clean power?

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »

+1 these work great.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »

How old is your fuel filter???

x10

I didnt realize your were on e85, i've got a bunch of customers running it, and ALL of them have had to change the fuel filter out twice.  One of the cars actually started to do the exact same thing as yours, it would surge/buck, felt like an  ignition issue.
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

If he suspects it's a fuel supply issue, he could simply Tee in a gauge and watch it on the dyno.

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »

+1 these work great.

what kind of vw is that?
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »

+1 these work great.

what kind of vw is that?

Rabbit, Jetta, Golf's, Passats,  Early 8v's anything with a 16v, ect...

Edit: Some volovo's, audi's, ect...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:26:59 PM by dvst8r »
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »

The new dist. harness was simply made using a cut up harness. All the same thickness wires as stock, but known to be run well. My walbro is the 255lph hp.

I originally had the fuel pump hard wired to the battery with thicker wires through a relay, but in the early stages of getting it started we had wire issues and I replaced everything with a different stock harness. I still have the relay setup, so I'll try that too.

My fuel filter is an inline aftermarket job under the car with AN fittings on it, so it won't be difficult to take that off and reverse clean it. I'll do that too.

My fuel rail has a gauge on it, but I never paid attention to it on the dyno.

hotrex

• Certified OG
  • rough riding niggas since 2002
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »

i think u need to feed ur old lady some cheap alcohol and have her spray pussy juice into your engine bay...  last ditch effort
1. nbspnbsp choda nbspnbsp 584 up, 134 down
 area between your bag and your asshole
Johnny bliss'#039#039s mom really worked my choda yesterday, I wont be able to ride my bike for a week

Zeniceguycrx

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »

the ricer says check fuel press   :yes:
The 30psi king of rice

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »

My fuel filter is an inline aftermarket job under the car with AN fittings on it, so it won't be difficult to take that off and reverse clean it. I'll do that too.

My fuel rail has a gauge on it, but I never paid attention to it on the dyno.

pull it out and see how well you can blow through it, you should be able to blow through it with w/o restriction, I wouldn't fuck with trying to clean it,  filters for those things are like 15 bucks.

Zeniceguycrx

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »

400hp on e85 is a fuel pump trying to feed 800hp on  a gas engine
The 30psi king of rice

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »

400hp on e85 is a fuel pump trying to feed 800hp on  a gas engine

its more like 520hp

from the many e85 cars i've ive tuned, takes ~30% more fuel for e85, ~40% more for e98
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:30:10 PM by sewell94 »

Stealthmode

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »

pull it out and see how well you can blow through it, you should be able to blow through it with w/o restriction, I wouldn't fuck with trying to clean it,  filters for those things are like 15 bucks.

This filter is 100 micron, and from looking through it when I got it, it looks like just a screen, so it should be easy to clean it.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »

run a direct 10g wire off the battery (fused) relayed from the stock wiring, along with a solid ground. ill bet that is the issue.

also the Bosch 044 pump did NOT come stock on a VW...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:19 PM »

also the Bosch 044 pump did NOT come stock on a VW...

Please enlighten us to what is stock on a CIS vw then?

The ones I have taken off magically seem to support 700hp...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up