:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading a Plug in a simple diagram  (Read 2029 times)

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Reading a Plug in a simple diagram
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »

I found this in one of the dirt bike forums I am on, and thought it might be useful to some people here.

There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: Reading a Plug in a simple diagram
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »

Not wholly correct, or complete.

The tip/entirety of the ceramic often takes time to turn brown. 50-200 miles, varies.

The base of the ceramic - or the fuel ring - only gets specks under hard detonation.  The first place they show up is on the piston crown/carbon coat as the engine runs out of octane, or if the engine is permitted to operate in the region where timing requirement starts to drop off abruptly (because you are running out of octane).

Concerning speckles.  Black specks on the tip of the plug, with most EFI vehicles that do not wash the cylinders down when engine is shut off due to injector leakdown (Ford Motorsports 42# injectors, puke), is often indicative of large injector poor atomization and NOT detonation.  Also, I rarely see silver speckles on plugs (I read the chamber) but very rarely I DO see stripes of actual molten aluminum on the ceramic - just go ahead and tear the motor down before it consumes itself and you have to replace a lot more than one piston, because when it siezes in the bore shit likes to break from sleeves to parting oil film-->rod bearing welded to crank or rod folding.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »

Thanks for the extra info JD.

As I stated above it was pulled off of a 2 stroke dirt bike forum, with your additional information it is probably useful to EFI car people.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »

I found this in one of the dirt bike forums I am on, and thought it might be useful to some people here.

So Jd can you do a diagram similar to this that would be beneficial to EFI owners. So I could have a good quick reference to use. ;D

Right now I have to look at 10 to 30 pictures (depending on what website(s) I use) to figure out what is going on in my engine.

caged

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:37:41 AM »

Also, I rarely see silver speckles on plugs (I read the chamber) but very rarely I DO see stripes of actual molten aluminum on the ceramic - just go ahead and tear the motor down before it consumes itself and you have to replace a lot more than one piston, because when it siezes in the bore shit likes to break from sleeves to parting oil film-->rod bearing welded to crank or rod folding.

Iv noticed small silver alloy spots on the top of the ceramic's before on several cars. I always thought it was from det, i was using an otoscope. This is on wrx's which I know for a fact see there fair share of det. Is it alloy or am i trippin?
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:23 AM »

Detonation happends when combustion rxn reaches a temp where oxygen and hydrogen can not join together to form water, so they seek out aluminum and to a lesser extent steel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up