:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dodge truck guys read this. especially you canadians.  (Read 3292 times)

Corey

• Certified OG
dodge truck guys read this. especially you canadians.
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »

i had to go look at a 94 ram std cab 6 ft diesel for a guy because he said it had some frame rot and wants to know if i can fix it. looks like the bottom part of the frame is rotted off, the sides and top seem ok with some pitting. i figure you canadian guys have probably seen this a ton for obvious reasons. is this fixable and how would you guys go about it. its like a 3 ft long sections from about the middle of the door to past the back of the cab/bed. i dont suppose someone sells some kind of panel for this?

ive never done frame repair but i have a baller mig and plenty of tools to do it, just wondering if its worth my time and/or if it will be safe. i know a picture would help but from what i understand its common?

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
Re: dodge truck guys read this. especially you canadians.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »

Never heard of it and I know a ton of guys with 2nd gens up here. I would just swap the drivetrain into a truck that doesn't suck like a superduty.
92GSR - mild interest

Hotrodlincoln

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:18:02 AM »

Should be way easy to fix, box it in if you feel like over doing it
kill yourself piss face

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:18:56 AM »

lol yea he hasnt bought the truck he wants to know if its worth trying to fix. i guess the guy wants $4K its a 4wd with 88K and the trans has been rebuilt already.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »

Sorry I passed that along there Corey. He called me and I told him to call you.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »

i've fixed rotted framework on my uncle's camper a few times.  i just cut out the rust and weld in new stuff.  i haven't had to do the main frame rail though.  he's bringing it back probably next month to have a different spot fixed so i'll have to snap some pics then.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:02:01 AM »

Hmmm never seen that on a second gen before, but I have done numerous frame repairs, as well as frame stretch's shortenings, c notch's ect...

Get some C channel as close to the original frame size as you can. Cut out the rotted area weld in the new C channel. Some guys just to a straight cut, but I think that is hella sketch. I cut my frames with a step ( I will ms paint a pic in a few minutes). Get it straight tack it, double check squareness, and then burn it all in, grind it flush and fish plate both sides. Some guys Like to leave the out side of the frame just welded, or even ground, and only fish plate the inside. Cosmetics is the only reason I can think of to do this.

I will make up some ms paint pics when I have a couple minutes (I am at work)
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »

The red thing is my best attempt at a fish plate. Plates should never be square on the ends, they also don't have to have one going one way and one going the other, they can go both the same way. (OOO) vs (OOO( vs )OOO(.

I hope this sort of makes sense.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »

Sorry I passed that along there Corey. He called me and I told him to call you.

FUCK YOU

he bugged me for 3 days to come out to bumfuck bolton.

im not sure i even want to do it. he did offer me a grand to do it though. i just dont want to do something im not sure is even gonna work. maybe we should both do it and split it  8)

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

dvst8r that does make sense. but its not only on straight parts of the frame though so i dont know how that would work. i wonder if angle iron would work, like i said its only the bottom part of the C thats rotted, the side ok so maybe i could weld it to the side and that would reinforce it enough.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »

I like to cut out the whole section if it is rotted, but you could just use angle iron for the straight sections, and flat bar / plate for the curved sections. It would be a bit annoying to bend the flat bar to match the shape of the frame, but not the end of the world.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »

tube chassis monster truck style/ end thread.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »

tube chassis monster truck style/ end thread.

It doesn't LOOK too hard, but you may want MIG for time reasons:

they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up