:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda auto trans  (Read 7076 times)

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
Honda auto trans
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »

Just throwing some ideas around, I know in stock forum the honda auto trans are not that good. I was thinking if you could control the the pressure put on the clutches then you could get it to hold more power. My question is this, has anyone seen or done anything like this to a honda trans?

I saw a number of post where some of the dsm 4wd guys used to think those where the worst trans ever until they started cranking the line pressure then they stated to hold some real power.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: Honda auto trans
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »

Check with Sewell, I remember talking to him about the use of atuomatics to get consistent 1/4 mile time, like the big boys. (about 3yrs ago.)
 :noel:

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »

I've only heard rumors of people modding Honda autos. Most auto issues on any car are from heat (breaking down the fluid), holding power is from pressure. If the clutch packs slip, they overheat the fluid. I'm sure you could find someone who could modify them for more pressure. Then rig some method to move & cool the fluid better than stock and you'd be golden. A lot of the Dodge guys use autos with their 2.2/2.5 common blocks to get very low times.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

I looked into it a little 4-5 years ago. I remember finding performance clutches and stuff. Better clutches, more pressure and crazy cooling might be the ticket. I always wanted to drag with an auto
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »

I looked into it a little 4-5 years ago. I remember finding performance clutches and stuff. Better clutches, more pressure and crazy cooling might be the ticket. I always wanted to drag with an auto

+1, I'm gettin' old  :noel:

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »

I want to think the same company had higher stall converters, but I'm with you Russ, this old brain doesn't store much that isn't used often anymore. Lol
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »

I want to think the same company had higher stall converters, but I'm with you Russ, this old brain doesn't store much that isn't used often anymore. Lol

From looking around I should be able to get even stock stuff to hold power. The issue is I have zero experience with anything auto much less moding one.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »

Sounds like you have more experience than I do. Lol. I have done flushes, swaps, and changed filters. That's about the extent of my knowledge.
obd1>gtgtall

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »

TCI and Level10 use to sell parts for Honda auto trannies.... i know TCI had converters maybe kits, and Level10 had full rebuild services.

i have a friend with a auto tranny DSM...her car should be fast this year. 12.1 on shakedown pass with 16g at low boost.
pretty sure they just give these trannys away, and cars go for stupid cheap cuz they are autos. im pretty sure most hondas are like that too. unless its an accord where people want them...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »

I guess you would have to use obd0 trannys though to avoid the controller. Unless someone figures out how to tune it
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »

The pre-97 controller for most Civic/Integra/Accord is "flipping switches" on/off signals to different solenoids to command gear changes as well as TCC application.  It isn't until the later cars that you get PWM line pressure control that is "sophisticated."

You can Tarduino the earlier stuff up.  Hell, you can Tarduino the later stuff up.  MickeySquirt will control a 4L60E/4L80E including the PWM TCC in the 95+ gearboxes and PWM line pressure control... you'll have to have a bit of a brain but it can be ported over.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »

Since we are sorta on the topic, any possibility of converting a99 auto crv to obd1 and staying auto? Also with chipping involved.
obd1>gtgtall

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »

Since we are sorta on the topic, any possibility of converting a99 auto crv to obd1 and staying auto? Also with chipping involved.

What JD says applies, you'll need something to control OBD2 trans with PWM and just a standard chipped ECU and conversion harness to control the engine.

If you can convert the obd2 auto trans to obd1 stuff (solenoid swap maybe?), just use an Auto OBD1 Bseries ecu.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

Phate

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »

It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

Hit me up. I looked at doing it out the gate to the accord. Theres a lot more available to to the DSM fags, but there is stuff available to HELP hondas... But no cure..

There used to be a local 10 second civic running a honda auto  round here  ;)

I looked into it ALOT to maker a Lude tranny work years ago.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Phate

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »

Aside from running a decent fluid with less friction modifiers than the honda stuff, and keeping the trans cool, there's not a whole ton that can be done without a rebuild as far as I can tell (since the line pressure seems to be set within the valve body).  If I remember correctly, the kickdown lever has a bit of say with regards to line pressure, but that's about it.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »

Oh, no, we have to modify line pressure.  Well, gosh, I guess it can't be done.

OK

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »

Coming from a guy that has never gone deeper into an auto tranny than pulling the pan, I can't imagine it's that difficult to shim a spring or something to bump pressure. It might be tedious, but I'm sure not difficult.
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »

Some stuff its retardedly simple. The Aisin-Warner whore of the 90s used in Supra, IS300, Volvo RWD, Cherokees is super easy to up pressure and hold 500... IDK about in a heavy ass XJ, but at 2/3rds that a Jeep becomes a death trap.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »

Line pressure can be manipulated, and frictions are (were) available...

Cant remember the name of the company... But I had talked to someone about making some H series specific stuff. They were into it and almost shrugged it off as not being hard to do at all.... This was 5 years ago though  (Was a DSM parts produccer... Ross may remember)... However, the GEARS and hard parts are still susceptible to the same material limitations as any manual components... And theres a problem with that.

---GFI we build FAST---

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »

Raybestos, fat man.

And the idea is that the gears and hard parts are not susceptible to the same forces and failures as the manual transmissions as there is a converter full of fluid decoupling the gears from the jackhammet operation of an inline 4.  Fuck you.

Phate

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 12:49:15 AM »

OK

Learn me.  Without tearing into the trans, can I pretend I have a DSM and force the linear solenoid to send me full line pressure with a trip to radioshack?

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 02:27:59 AM »

Raybestos, fat man.

And the idea is that the gears and hard parts are not susceptible to the same forces and failures as the manual transmissions as there is a converter full of fluid decoupling the gears from the jackhammet operation of an inline 4.  Fuck you.

Negative on the raybestos ten rabbits running backwards

Im fully aware of the IDEA, but also aware of REALITY. I wanted to put an auto in this turd from jump, but didnt understand that there just wasnt a good solution, then painfully found out theres not a solid manual solution either  (or at least as robust as V8 garbage options)   

Hard parts, polanetarys, gears themselves... Still prone to break, Pretty sure the guys that I talked to know more than you and me. Yup. Positive.

And yes, FUCK YOU

---GFI we build FAST---

Burntrubber87

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »

OK

Learn me.  Without tearing into the trans, can I pretend I have a DSM and force the linear solenoid to send me full line pressure with a trip to radioshack?

Is that a joke? the "blue wire mod" is older than I am.

And what bigv said. You could spend $1000's on having a converter cut, the most expensive clutches and steels and even if they made an aftermarket valvebody(manual or not.) The way the shafts are set up in honda coupled with little wanna be planetaries..you'd be replacing hard parts every week. shit I at least pull one Odyssey or pilot a week, and its always problems stemming from warped cases and valvebodys, complete with blown up converters and melted together hard parts..thats at 200-300ish factory hp. 

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »

Quote from: Burntrubber87
I at least pull one Odyssey or pilot a week, and its always problems stemming from warped cases and valvebodys, complete with blown up converters and melted together hard parts..thats at 200-300ish factory hp.

Yeah, low fluid pressure allows friction, and things overheat.  You are inaware of the high rate of failure of all automatics since women bitching about being able to feel shifts dictated transmission design and programming?

BTW, a handful of people doing closed door research leaves a lot of stones uncovered, Spiker.

Phate

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »

OK

Is that a joke? the "blue wire mod" is older than I am.

I was referencing the blue wire mod, yes.  Haven't really seen an equivalent for honda autos, then again I've mainly been looking at F/H series stuff.  Haven't looked at my helms manual in a bit.

Not even thinking about crazy power, not shifting like shit and holding low to mid 200whp range and I'd be happy on a daily.

So far surprise surprise, running a fluid with way less friction modifiers and an external cooler makes the things work better.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »

Holding a NA build with a 200 shot would fuck up some big power cars in the 1/8th.

Burntrubber87

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »

Yeah, low fluid pressure allows friction, and things overheat.  You are inaware of the high rate of failure of all automatics since women bitching about being able to feel shifts dictated transmission design and programming?

BTW, a handful of people doing closed door research leaves a lot of stones uncovered, Spiker.

fuckin a..
welcome to the last 7 years of whining, bitching customers. Line pressure and shift firmness on a rebuild is determined by the amount of testosterone a customer possess.

And phate I thought you were asking DSMs..duh. You can probably tinker with the modulator valve on older honda's, It controls hydraulic flow coming from the pump and going to the shift and lock-up solenoids. On (newer)cars with PW- Modulated line pressure its not so easy..Most Pressure control solenoids (PCS or EPC) are adjustable but i've been told by many that playing with the adjustment is playing with fire. similar to trying to tune a car with no sensors to log. Adjusting pressure through the driver in the computer is different..through a tuner or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:20:19 PM by Burntrubber87 »

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

There are no tuner or standalone controllers for these... but there can be.

It would be trivial to log PWM vs load (MAP) and TPS to get a baseline for each era/engine.

Phate

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »

fuckin a..
welcome to the last 7 years of whining, bitching customers. Line pressure and shift firmness on a rebuild is determined by the amount of testosterone a customer possess.

And phate I thought you were asking DSMs..duh. You can probably tinker with the modulator valve on older honda's, It controls hydraulic flow coming from the pump and going to the shift and lock-up solenoids. On (newer)cars with PW- Modulated line pressure its not so easy..Most Pressure control solenoids (PCS or EPC) are adjustable but i've been told by many that playing with the adjustment is playing with fire. similar to trying to tune a car with no sensors to log. Adjusting pressure through the driver in the computer is different..through a tuner or whatever.

From what I've gathered about my particular trans (BOYA), it seems like I've got one of the last versions of honda's more crude automatics.  Stock form on honda Z1 fluid they shift slow and awful, and get hot fast, making them even worse.  Only external interface its really got are the lockup and shift control solenoids, which as far as I can tell are basically as JD said "flipping switches".  Seems like the line pressure control is almost all done internally, but it does increase when the kickdown lever is moved.

I can't imagine the other early-to-mid 90's honda trans working too differently, so on these older trans shift control should be pretty much stupidly easy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up