:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sidecar race bike swingarm and my homemade bead roller  (Read 5832 times)

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
sidecar race bike swingarm and my homemade bead roller
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

have a sidecar race bike in the shop that needed a bit of modification.  the owner is too tall for it, so he wanted to move the engine back as far as possible, but still retain the 86" spec between the front wheel and rear wheel.  so we cut out the frame, made a shorter swingarm and moved the engine back 4" so he can lie down lower in the bike.  still need to move the shifter and brake pedals back, but i'm waiting for him to come by to do that so we can put them exactly where he wants them.

before paint:

old swingarm and frame:

all put back together:

and here's our homemade bead roller.  the only thing i'd change would be to add a pair of gears on the backside so you don't have to turn the aluminum pipe by hand as you crank the handle.  i still think it does a good job and i probably won't use it all that much, but i always wanted to have one.

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
Re: sidecar race bike swingarm and my homemade bead roller
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »

sexy as usual man. Good work.
Word of advice - Don'#39#39t ever cough while taking a piss.

<ltlta href="quotquothttp://www.giffies.com/viewgif/514/amateur-red.html"quotquot TITLE="quotquotClick to Play Amateur Red"quotquot TARGET="quotquot_blank"quotquot>gtgtClick to Play!<ltlt/a>gtgt

TunerToys

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

Good stuff, now get that CRX thread updated! :)

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »

fuck you should have made a few of those bead rollers and sold them the the rhmt boys on the cheap. I would kill for one.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

NoPistons!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TP-Tools-Metal-Forming-20-Bench-Mount-Bead-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df0f3524QQitemZ360224601380QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_1996wt_875

Weir's was probably cheaper to make maybe but it's not like a bead roller is THAT expensive and it can pay for itself eventually.

I'm not trying to take away from your post (weir) by any means.  That's pretty cool.  Always nice to see the stuff you do.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:04:05 AM »

why are you so fucking baller in everything you do?
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

d-rail

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:15:34 AM »

tits idea, anyone with a lathe or knows anyone with a lathe could make that.

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »

this was done with a lathe and a mill, although it could probably be done a bit differently with just a drill press.

this bead roller cost me nothing to make since all the material was picked out of the "spare metal but not scrap" bin in the shop.  the hardware we had, as well as the bushings on the roller shafts.

no pics of the whole bike.  i'll post some up when the engine is back in it and the shifter mechanism is done.  right now i'm really excited about the bender i just got!  it should be together later today.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TP-Tools-Metal-Forming-20-Bench-Mount-Bead-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df0f3524QQitemZ360224601380QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_1996wt_875

Weir's was probably cheaper to make maybe but it's not like a bead roller is THAT expensive and it can pay for itself eventually.

I'm not trying to take away from your post (weir) by any means.  That's pretty cool.  Always nice to see the stuff you do.

i have one of those sheet metal bead rollers. it needs some slight modification to be any good for tubing.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

NoPistons!

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:41:15 AM »

i have one of those sheet metal bead rollers. it needs some slight modification to be any good for tubing.

I figured.   Used would be another option but weir's home built tool is so damn tough that cockroaches will be bead rolling pipe on that shit long after humanity has been wiped from the earth. 

For the occasional home mech, the "whatever" bead roller works.  Dollar for dollar i'd rather spend a night at the titty bar and do the vice grip thing.  Who was it who did that?  Welded 3 screw shanks to some vice grips?

ktown powder coating

• Noob of the month Oct 09
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »

very nice work on both the swing arm and the roller

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »

I figured.   Used would be another option but weir's home built tool is so damn tough that cockroaches will be bead rolling pipe on that shit long after humanity has been wiped from the earth. 

For the occasional home mech, the "whatever" bead roller works.  Dollar for dollar i'd rather spend a night at the titty bar and do the vice grip thing.  Who was it who did that?  Welded 3 screw shanks to some vice grips?

im not knockin the all purpose bead roller. i use it for other things also. im glad i have it
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »

that roller is bad ass

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »

Hey Aaron, how much would a set of those mandrels cost a nog? i can make the rest, i just dont have access to a lathe anymore
obd1>gtgtall

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »

Hey Aaron, how much would a set of those mandrels cost a nog? i can make the rest, i just dont have access to a lathe anymore

if you have a mill with a boring head, you can probably make them with a bit of creative tooling.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:39:58 PM »

i dont have a mill. maybe one day
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: [1]   Go Up