:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drill into cast iron cylinder head?  (Read 4245 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
Drill into cast iron cylinder head?
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »

i recently picked up a super mint 1990 silverado 2wd with a 305 that has a rod knock for $300. i have a nice 350 crate engine that is missing one hole in the cylinder head for the a/c compressor bracket. since the truck uses a serpentine belt i dont have a lot of options other than figure out how to mount it all back on. so, has anyone drilled and tapped a cylinder head before? it seems like it would be just like drilling any other steel part, slow drill speed and some lube. there is a water passage behind where i need to put the hole so i figure if i go too far, i can just put some sealant on the bolt threads and be on my way.

any thoughts?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

caged

Re: Drill into cast iron cylinder head?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »

its going to be quite hard to keep the hole straight   :-\ good luck.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

narfdanarf

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »

Just did this last week.  My hole was a little oblong, so I tapped it the best I could and put a helicoil in it for strength/round aspect. Worked great.

bigwig

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »

Drill Guide

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »

I have a drill press that I could do it on. The head isn't on the block yet.

I have just never needed to drill cast iron before, just wondering if it was going to be harder than regular steel to drill
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »

I have just never needed to drill cast iron before, just wondering if it was going to be harder than regular steel to drill

It is actually quite easy from what I recall.  It has been a while, but I think cast iron actually cuts much better than steel.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »

That's what I was expecting, but my dad stopped by today and I was talking about it with him and he seemed to think it would be harder. I will find out for sure tomorrow
obd1>gtgtall

caged

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »

Drill Guide

Nice I havnt seen one of those before. Cast iron is just as easy to drill as steel from memory, it chips away unlike steel.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »

One thing we used at the machine shop I worked at was cylindrical slugs with holes drilled in them. Picture a revolver's cylinder, except the ammo holes are various sizes. Harden the hell out of the slug, then you have a compact right angle guide for your drill or taps.

ARP and other mfg's make a special thread sealing compound for headbolts that protrude into the water jacket. Make sure you use that regardless, just in case it's not through but super-thin (and cracks later).
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »

Drill Guide

damn, fuck a drill press im buying one of those. i didnt even know something like that existed
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:54 AM »

I'm sure you've already thought of it, but running a small pilot hole first will probably make things easier on ya... 

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »

Yea, I'm going to use a drill the size of the bolt to locate the hole through the bracket, but as soon as I have a starting place I will take the bracket off and start with a small drill bit and work my way up.

I have actually had a couple semesters of manual machining under my belt, just never needed to mess with cast iron. How often do you come accross cast iron in the Honda world? Lol
obd1>gtgtall

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »

don't use any cutting fluid or oil when machining cast iron.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »

don't use any cutting fluid or oil when machining cast iron.

What about coolant or water? 

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »

Not saying I don't belive you, but what are the reasons for that?
obd1>gtgtall

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »

i think hes full of shit, but maybe because it will trap the super hard chips?
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »

How often do you come accross cast iron in the Honda world? Lol

Stock control arms. Very easy to tell when you burn out the rubber bushings then use a sawzall to cut the steel liner...then cut too far. :-X That was alsmost a disaster.

Since cast iron cuts so easy, in addition to having graphite flakes in it's makeup, you really don't have to use any lube. Just make sure the bit doesn't get hot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:03:17 PM by HiProfile »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »

Old machinist handbook I used to have said you machine cast iron dry, and use compressed air as a coolant if needed, but never an oil or water based coolant. I don't know why, but that's how I've always done it and it works fine. As HiProfile said, it cuts easy anways.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

rprznt

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »

Old machinist handbook I used to have said you machine cast iron dry, and use compressed air as a coolant if needed, but never an oil or water based coolant. I don't know why, but that's how I've always done it and it works fine. As HiProfile said, it cuts easy anways.

reason is that cast iron is an extremely basic, poor quality material. has very little tensile strength, not a strong alloy like steel.

its characteristics with machining, drilling and working it are very favourable. the cutting chips are soft and gritty like sand, and it cuts very easily. try and avoid heat to avoid cracking and stress risers etc...

no coolant because there is very little friction there, it feels like it "self lubricates" when cutting, weird shit.

:)
French faggots like Teg2Boo would pour out straight likker because they  don'#39#39t deserve it.
I'#39#39m out rockclimbing / snowboarding / hiking / mtb racing. Be back soon...
Pages: [1]   Go Up