:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aluminum Exhaust Failure  (Read 6540 times)

bigwig

Aluminum Exhaust Failure
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=42195143#post42195143

I find it entertaining the "engineers" at Full-Race thought it was a good idea to heat wrap an aluminum exhaust.....How they didn't think the material was going to fail is beyond me.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: Aluminum Exhaust Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »

just read that on another forum....

odd they would have any failure, seems they over "engineer" everything...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

bigwig

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »

just read that on another forum....

odd they would have any failure, seems they over "engineer" everything...

It's pretty common sense.  Aluminum is already pushing it's material properties by being run as an exhaust.  The true saving grace is the fact it can shed the heat.  The second you thermal wrap it, it's trapping in all that heat.  Now it's overheating and going to fail.  If they did this on some drag car, it wouldn't fail probably.  A car that laps, forget about it, it's definitely going to fail.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »

Had to read through all that crap to find it.  ARgh.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »

It was a very foolish decision to run an aluminum exhausst on a road race based car. I pretty much expected that outcome. Although there not much to critisize on the rest of the car. But still that was a dumb move.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »

I guess that is one way to figure out that it won't work.

:?:

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »

even heat wrap on stainless will make it fail eventually.  that is the one thing that would void the warranty on something i build.

civiceggturbo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »

fail how, crack near the weld? alot of people rap stainess headers, but i would believe a dp would see more heat

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »

fail how, crack near the weld? alot of people rap stainess headers, but i would believe a dp would see more heat

well aaron is saying that the wrap keeps the heat in, and doesn't let the metal "shead" the heat like it would if unwrapped. The dp would see less heat as it is farther away from the head/CC.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

dwnpipe ans antilag i can see... looks like that may have been a dp. 
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »

dwnpipe ans antilag i can see... looks like that may have been a dp. 

Yeah he said it was like a 22" ss dp and then that's where the AL started. But really i have yet to see any real race car (minus drag) with an AL exhaust. It just not a good idea.

civiceggturbo

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »

i know wrap keeps heat in...but I was saying the dp right near the turbo's restriction would keep more heat than just a straight header...just a guess but im pretty hammered

here to there the car in questions aluminum exhaust was far away from the turbo

bigwig

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »

Wrapping a stainless steel exhaust is mostly okay.  Wrapping stainless steel turbo manifolds can result in failures.  If you look at aluminum in the application of exhaust systems, it's almost shouldn't work.  Once you add in heat wrap, it's hard to imagine it working at all.  This just proved that.

I'm sure they did it because they didn't want to melt anything under the car or something was rubbing and they didn't want it to rub metal on metal.  The end result had to be what occurred.

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »

Wrapping a stainless steel exhaust is mostly okay.  Wrapping stainless steel turbo manifolds can result in failures.  If you look at aluminum in the application of exhaust systems, it's almost shouldn't work.  Once you add in heat wrap, it's hard to imagine it working at all.  This just proved that.

I'm sure they did it because they didn't want to melt anything under the car or something was rubbing and they didn't want it to rub metal on metal.  The end result had to be what occurred.

What about wrapping downpipes? My downpipe molests my radiator so i was thinking about wrapping it in about a 1 foot section.

bigwig

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »

What about wrapping downpipes? My downpipe molests my radiator so i was thinking about wrapping it in about a 1 foot section.

Shouldn't matter as long as it isn't aluminum.  Just remember heat wrap traps moisture and can cause some issues.

hatchboy

• Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »

Shouldn't matter as long as it isn't aluminum.  Just remember heat wrap traps moisture and can cause some issues.
So like how long until it would degrade the downpipe to the point of unusable? i mean, its a crx, the DP really is nearly kissing the radiator.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »

So like how long until it would degrade the downpipe to the point of unusable? i mean, its a crx, the DP really is nearly kissing the radiator.

You really are worring to much about it. as long as the welds are good and the material doesn't suck you will be fine.

hatchboy

• Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 12:25:57 AM »

You really are worring to much about it. as long as the welds are good and the material doesn't suck you will be fine.

mmmmmmk

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:25 AM »

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

it was nice to see a 240 drive around the track insted of "drifting" and a nice bounes is to then see it on fire :evil:
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

2slow

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 02:05:53 AM »

it was nice to see a 240 drive around the track insted of "drifting" and a nice bounes is to then see it on fire :evil:
that 240 happens to be awd. it has skyline everything under it. rb engine and drive train and skiyline suspension and brakes aswell. i think it also has a skyline subframe

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »

LOL at the prodigy soundtrack
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »

It was a very foolish decision to run an aluminum exhausst on a road race based car.

This is more relevant than anyone else's criticism or opinion.  Roadrace cars burn up at a lot less power than a drag or street car, they go through 15-45 minutes worth of heatsoaked hell a couple times a day.  Most turbo based roadrace cars are lulz... massive cooling problems, they have fundamental issues with reliability.  On a tangental subject, roadracing a Scoob is considered the #1 best way to kill it.

If I had worries about PS lines and didn't have the time for a relocation/reroute, or proper heat shield, I think wrapping the PS lines would have worked better.  Aluminum doesn't latch onto heat like steel does, that would have worked better than with a conventional steel exhaust.

Pages: [1]   Go Up