:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: steelie drag wheels  (Read 6286 times)

yamaha6611

steelie drag wheels
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:44:52 AM »

well a guy i know tells me he can make me a set of 13X8 steelie drag wheel, says theyre diamond cut or something, for $100 a piece

i figure, itll be a lot cheaper

considering that ill be dealing with wheel spin, would it help if the wheel was heavier to keep them planted?  on the reverse side, axles will probably take a significantly greater beating.. im not sure really, never ran sticky tires, what do you think??

88dx

• Certified OG
Re: steelie drag wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:46:41 AM »

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:02:28 AM »

You can usually pick up a set of used in great shape Diamond 13X8's for $150.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:12:52 AM »

considering that ill be dealing with wheel spin, would it help if the wheel was heavier to keep them planted? 

read what you just wrote and then smack yourself
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »

considering that ill be dealing with wheel spin, would it help if the wheel was heavier to keep them planted? 

Revisit this thread and then smack the useless faggot yourself.

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=5060

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

i'd rather watch him start the process of apoptosis.
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »

all the local guys are running around with lead wieghts in there wheels to eliminate wheel spin. shits rediculous how well it works. 5-10lbs inside each tire is what the majority run.
rhmt for life

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »

And the entire car is noticeably slower.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

i just jb weld free weights to my axles, shit is so cash

Ravage70

• Certified OG
  • The Hotrex foot. Stiletto ready!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »

money

yamaha6611

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »

im guessing that was a bad theory?? lol, heavier wheel onto the ground = less tire spin??

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »

im guessing that was a bad theory?? lol, heavier wheel onto the ground = less tire spin??

in theory yes, thats why you never see it people wont admit it, but shit works great. seen a few with the axel set up as well. suppose to be better for balance in the tranny. not sure about that though.
rhmt for life

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:13:11 AM »

You can usually pick up a set of used in great shape Diamond 13X8's for $150.

aren't new ones from diamond about $75 a piece?  i check their clearance tab weekly, but never find ones with the correct bolt pattern/backspacing together

a guy sold a set of 4 for 100 bones used and i didn't have the cash to jump on it.  faggot wouldn't take trades either

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

yamaha6611

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »

okay im looking for an honest answer here.. yea people buy drag lights cause the lighter the wheel, the faster youll be able to move its just like a flywheel i know, but im not looking for 100% max performance, better traction with less power is going to win over more power with less traction....

so will or will it not, lighter wheels spin easier???

edit:  okay i just read urban indians title in FI, and this is NO rip on him in the slightest way, but:

my buddys stock internal gsr civic hatch, 450whp runs an 11.3 at the track.  you dont need 700whp to hit numbers like that, i can almost guarentee that hes spinning all the way down the track, and actually with his same setup and mabye 150 less whp with a smaller turbo he would run better numbers, power isnt everything. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:20:45 AM by yamaha6611 »

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

i don't know from personal experience or testing, but my take on the subject is that heavier wheels/tires will increase the unsprung weight.  this is always bad for anything fast (drag, road race, hell even fuel economy).  the extra inertia off the line should make it harder to spin, thus possibly decreasing wheelspin, but i don't think there is any way, especially in the 1/4 that the added bit of traction makes up for the losses in the drive line due to extra weight.  its like you don't even really increase traction, you just decrease whp and thus don't spin as much

power isn't everything, but you can't avoid the laws of physics

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 02:12:59 AM »

okay im looking for an honest answer here.. yea people buy drag lights cause the lighter the wheel, the faster youll be able to move its just like a flywheel i know, but im not looking for 100% max performance, better traction with less power is going to win over more power with less traction....

so will or will it not, lighter wheels spin easier???

edit:  okay i just read urban indians title in FI, and this is NO rip on him in the slightest way, but:

my buddys stock internal gsr civic hatch, 450whp runs an 11.3 at the track.  you dont need 700whp to hit numbers like that, i can almost guarentee that hes spinning all the way down the track, and actually with his same setup and mabye 150 less whp with a smaller turbo he would run better numbers, power isnt everything. 

a lot of poeple stick with stock flywheels becuase of the theory it helps spool up. dont listen to n/a mike. he eats hot dogs out of a trash can its fucking with his mind. go against the grain with this one and try something new.
rhmt for life

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 02:38:30 AM »

wouldn't a noticeably heavier wheel act like a heavier flywheel, just with a wheel and tire? I mean, I can see how it would help initially, but if you did overcome the traction and get it spinning, wouldn't it act like a heavier flywheel and have a tendency to keep spinning? therefore spinning more?
   and when you consider that most people on here are running turbo 4cyl cars, that hurts. take a 600hp and 400lbft car and throw on a set of wheels that weigh 40lbs more, you're still gonna feel that increase in rotational weight. What you would gain in the 60, would be negated and just kill the top end. I mean your already running drags at what, about 10psi, then you throw on some dub weight rims you have a combination that does not like high speeds or high speed acceleration.  The ONLY way i could see this being beneficial is if you never broke traction, and you were doing a short (1/8 or less) run.
   just my $.02
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:39 AM »

this is a vwvortex thread

yamaha6611

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »

yea i can see where you coming from on this one... i just figured that with 350whp and 2400lbs that the best bet would be to find the best traction, not power.  ill look around for some lights first, if not, ill try out the steelies.

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »

wouldn't a noticeably heavier wheel act like a heavier flywheel, just with a wheel and tire? I mean, I can see how it would help initially, but if you did overcome the traction and get it spinning, wouldn't it act like a heavier flywheel and have a tendency to keep spinning? therefore spinning more?
   and when you consider that most people on here are running turbo 4cyl cars, that hurts. take a 600hp and 400lbft car and throw on a set of wheels that weigh 40lbs more, you're still gonna feel that increase in rotational weight. What you would gain in the 60, would be negated and just kill the top end. I mean your already running drags at what, about 10psi, then you throw on some dub weight rims you have a combination that does not like high speeds or high speed acceleration.  The ONLY way i could see this being beneficial is if you never broke traction, and you were doing a short (1/8 or less) run.
   just my $.02

we are not talking about dubs, we are talking about stealies with lead wieght haded to the tires/drive system. your theory is just idiotic. if anything it would help. the traction it earns from the wieght also helps during shifts because of the momentom its already got and is harder to spin the tires, because its more of a smooth transition.
rhmt for life

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

oh and i forgot about the guy i seen run with sand inside his tire. now that was crazy(probably becuase it self balances itself/alignement?) someone should do some physics on that.
 he had before and after times only change between the two was adding sand to the tires. was a average of a half a second faster with 5 runs for each. ill try to find his write up if i can.
rhmt for life

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

I filled my tires with water. Keeps the rear tires from spinning and the front tires keep the front from wheelies.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 10:29:25 AM »

i use concrete and aborted fetuses

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 05:34:07 PM »

a lot of poeple stick with stock flywheels becuase of the theory it helps spool up. dont listen to n/a mike. he eats hot dogs out of a trash can its fucking with his mind. go against the grain with this one and try something new.

people use stock flywheels to fight bogging. there is a little bigger rpm window to launch with a stock flywheel over a lightened one.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »

people use stock flywheels to fight bogging. there is a little bigger rpm window to launch with a stock flywheel over a lightened one.

ya thats what i meant, thanks sir, i had both before on a b16 with the shitty tq. launching was difficult enough without spinning or bogging. that and the unsprung clutch i got a discount on probably wasnt the best for launching lol
rhmt for life

rudebwoy

• Certified OG
  • tripple OG
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »

well I use nails in my tires to keep them planted, cheapest method.
1999 Euro spec Civic EJ9 Hatch B20/VTEC TURBO. 620whp@21psi
2000 Honda Odyssey LX family ride
2000 civic SI daily driver

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

well I use nails in my tires to keep them planted, cheapest method.

if installed right with tire sealant this works wonders in the winter time. use to do this to my bald tires as a cheap winter tire. would tell the local beaner tire repair place it was a sience project
rhmt for life

rudebwoy

• Certified OG
  • tripple OG
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »

I sometimes use snow chains on my slicks. O0
1999 Euro spec Civic EJ9 Hatch B20/VTEC TURBO. 620whp@21psi
2000 Honda Odyssey LX family ride
2000 civic SI daily driver

salesmonkey

• Certified OG