:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tranny r&r gm fwd van?  (Read 3846 times)

turbostd

• Certified OG
tranny r&r gm fwd van?
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »

Anyone ever r&r a tranny in one of these? The particular one I am going to be working on is a 97 Pontiac Transport with the 3.4. Guy says 1st&2nd are out. How hard are these to remove? What should I charge for this job

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: tranny r&r gm fwd van?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »

Should be like removing a large fwd transmission out of any other large gm sedan like a monte carlo and such. :yes:

You may even have more room than the sedans. 4t60 or 4t80?

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »

I assume with the 3.4 its the 4t60. Im just hoping the whole sub frame doesn't have to come down because that would suck :/

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

I assume with the 3.4 its the 4t60. Im just hoping the whole sub frame doesn't have to come down because that would suck :/

I don't think so, but it has been a while since I was under one of these. :-\

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »

Well the guy just dropped the van off. It only has 2nd. I just remembered I have a repair manual from when my mom had one of these. It only covers till 95 and the one im working on is a 97 but it should be close. It looks like the motor and tranny have to come down on the sub frame :x thats going to suck.

I need to ID the tranny so i can start looking for another one. It is a 4 speed and has a vacuum modulator on it.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »

Look up a fram trans filter book and look at the pan gasket shape.

When I worked in a parts store customers would bring a used gasket or pan to match with the pictures in the back of the Fram book.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »

I hope you charge the guy asshole tax.  Buying a vehicle like that is a dick move, fuck him.

Anyway, Mitchell says 8.6 hour job.  I'm pretty sure it's a 4T60E since that's all the literature has diagnosis/overhaul info on, but YOU NEED TO match up the tranny pan bolt pattern in order to verify that.  The General can and will leave you good and fucked on a job like this.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »

support the motor, drop the subframe, drop the trans. Its going to suck without a 2 post hoist.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

Its going to suck without a 2 post hoist.

x's eleventy
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

support the motor, drop the subframe, drop the trans. Its going to suck without a 2 post hoist.

Yep.

Yes it is a 4T60E.

It's not a terrible job in comparison, but it won't be fun in a driveway.

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »

yea its a 4t60e says so right on the bottom of the pan lol. Ive been feeling lazy and only put a few hr work in on this thing. I have everything unhooked except the fuel lines (they use some sort of "quick" conect fitting and it dont have the tool to remove them) and a heater hose that is the same. I dont think its going to be that bad. I plan on using our motor pulling a-frame and come-along to raise the front up as high as i can get it and set it down on some tires or something. Then i am going to hook the cherry picker to the motor/trans and remove the sub-frame bolts and let the whole thing down on the legs of the picker. Then as long as the body is high enough i can wheel the whole unit out. Rain dampened my work plans today or it would be out already.

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »

Well I got the tranny done on this thing. Wasn't as hard as i thought it was going to be. It took so long because I only had help one day a week as my dad works midnights and sleeps alot because he is old haha. we didnt even pull the motor out from under we just droped the frame with the motor in place then lowered it down and slid the tranny off. Now as long as the junkyard tranny is good I am all set  :-X if not my guy at the junkyard is going to get a stern talking to lol

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »

Well I got the tranny done on this thing. Wasn't as hard as i thought it was going to be. It took so long because I only had help one day a week as my dad works midnights and sleeps alot because he is old haha. we didnt even pull the motor out from under we just droped the frame with the motor in place then lowered it down and slid the tranny off. Now as long as the junkyard tranny is good I am all set  :-X if not my guy at the junkyard is going to get a beat down with a heavy pipe.

Corrected for proper RHMT punishment.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up