:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help--- how do i put my new valve seals on THE RIGHT WAY?  (Read 3035 times)

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
help--- how do i put my new valve seals on THE RIGHT WAY?
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »

ok so replaced my valve seals due to a smoking issue (burning oil).. it was my first time doing this and it wasnt as hard as i thought it was going to be... but when i put the new seals on i didnt know the right way to put them on so i pushed them down and they snapped on with just pushing with my hand but then i thought i would give them all a little tap with the hammer and a12mm deep socket before i put everything back together.so did all that got it all back together. i started it up and it all seemed good and then  :noel:puff puff poof :noel: it started smoking worse then before. when i took the exhaust mani off their was alot of oil in the exhaust ports soooo anybody know the proper way to just put the valve seals back on? :-X
stock b20-vtec + 342hp 247wtq = NO TRACTION

Dweezil

• Michigan Civics
Re: help--- how do i put my new valve seals on THE RIGHT WAY?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

You sure your valves and guides aren't worn?

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »

yea im not sure... that could be something else i should look into.. but not sure how often those go bad. i didnt know that the valve guides have seals in them?

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »

yea im not sure... that could be something else i should look into.. but not sure how often those go bad. i didnt know that the valve guides have seals in them?

guides don't have seals.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Dweezil

• Michigan Civics
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:59:31 AM »

It's metal on metal, something has to give eventually. Grab the manual and check the specs.

esi42

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »

ok so replaced my valve seals due to a smoking issue (burning oil).. it was my first time doing this and it wasnt as hard as i thought it was going to be... but when i put the new seals on i didnt know the right way to put them on so i pushed them down and they snapped on with just pushing with my hand but then i thought i would give them all a little tap with the hammer and a12mm deep socket before i put everything back together.so did all that got it all back together. i started it up and it all seemed good and then  :noel:puff puff poof :noel: it started smoking worse then before. when i took the exhaust mani off their was alot of oil in the exhaust ports soooo anybody know the proper way to just put the valve seals back on? :-X

They should just snap down easily.  If you smacked them with a socket, they might be damaged.  First time I did it, same thing happend to me.  Was there oil from every cylinder or just a couple?

Dweezil

• Michigan Civics
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »

They should

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »

another thing to look for is when you take the old ones off sometimes there is a little ring of the rubber that breaks off and stays on the guide, the new seal cant seat all the way down and it leaks. here is a pic off my toyota, same style of seals

malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »

hmm ok cool,, im going to buy another set and try it again... and yea it only leaked oil out of the valve seals i replace but only this time it was worse...but yea this time im going to take the old ones off again and clean everything real good and then when i replace them im just going to push them on by hand....another thing i was thinking about was would it work by putting some gasket sealer on the new valve seals before i put them on just to get a better seal or is this a stupid bad idea....

esi42

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »

Sometimes the intake and exhaust seals are different.  Maybe they got mixed up?

and yea it only leaked oil out of the valve seals i replace but only this time it was worse...

What??  You should replace them all.

another thing i was thinking about was would it work by putting some gasket sealer on the new valve seals before i put them on just to get a better seal or is this a stupid bad idea.......

Did someone order some fail?

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »

also when i put the new valve seals on is their suppose to be any kind of play in them where they move or are they just suppose to fit snug tight on and not move
Pages: [1]   Go Up