:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any thermocouple deals out there?  (Read 4222 times)

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Any thermocouple deals out there?
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Anyone have a good thermocouple hookup? FYI I'm looking for an exposed K-type element that can handle the 800C temps (not just theoreticly read that high).

I've been looking around for cheap thermocouples, as $100 for an Innovate unit is crazy. The best I've found with good enough sheathing is http://tscsensors.com/egtep0720001ssnexhau.html for $49. Ebay has a few, but only for ~400C temps - they use cheap parts that melt at higher temps. Omega has them, but for >$54 for the right unit.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: Any thermocouple deals out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »

Try www.aircraftspruce.com I haven't been there in awhile, but previously they have had some pretty good deals.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »

Yup, Spruce had then a few years back for $25/probe and $58 for a dual probe gauge.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »

Yup, Spruce had then a few years back for $25/probe and $58 for a dual probe gauge.

Little more now try this link: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/smicroprobes2.php

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »

Sweet deals, I need a dual setup for my corvair turbo I am never finishing.
fuck you

cbustuner

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=bfd3bdd36db657adaa998b7c9a567097

Don't know if any of these are what your looking for but that site always has good deals on sensors and gauges

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=bfd3bdd36db657adaa998b7c9a567097

Don't know if any of these are what your looking for but that site always has good deals on sensors and gauges

None of those are rated for idle temps, let alone load. :'(

I really don't need a gauge, as I can log it via my Techedge's TC inputs, or with a TC chip I got that works with my SSI-4. I just wish they had longer leads at that spruce place, 4' barely gets me to the firewall.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

None of those are rated for idle temps, let alone load. :'(

I really don't need a gauge, as I can log it via my Techedge's TC inputs, or with a TC chip I got that works with my SSI-4. I just wish they had longer leads at that spruce place, 4' barely gets me to the firewall.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=2&zenid=bfd3bdd36db657adaa998b7c9a567097

If you are getting over 1800F at idle something is seriously fucked.  :P
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Zarcorp

• RAWR #2
  • Not Rawr#2, I think Uffie is awful.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »

JD what was that site that I posted a few years ago on old hmt.

You remember every thread ever you'd better know.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »

I have pre-senile dementia.  You best fend for yourself, surfrawr.

Zarcorp

• RAWR #2
  • Not Rawr#2, I think Uffie is awful.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Shoot.

I can't fucking remember.

Or that thread with all those neat ebooks.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:14 PM »

Wtf its like those pages weren't there last time. I guess I should have looked at EVERY sensor...I wasn't expecting the cheapest to work that hot. They have the same looking TC elsewhere rated for 400c.

Guess I'll be ordering a few tomorrow. For that price I could stand to even stick one in my daily driver... :mexi:

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:33:47 PM »

Wtf its like those pages weren't there last time. I guess I should have looked at EVERY sensor...I wasn't expecting the cheapest to work that hot. They have the same looking TC elsewhere rated for 400c.

Guess I'll be ordering a few tomorrow. For that price I could stand to even stick one in my daily driver... :mexi:

For that price if I ever build another turbo gasser, I will run one in each cylinder, and data log the whole thing.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

I'll be drilling adjacent to my exhaust valve guides and logging temps with mine.   :mexi:

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »

I'll be drilling adjacent to my exhaust valve guides and logging temps with mine.   :mexi:

I hope you don't have a tip break off.  :o

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »

Aluminum heads are very forgiving. 

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »

From the couple turbo's I have seen that have had the misfortune of eating part of a thermocouple they are not so forgiving.

I am curious as to the temp difference between where you are going to log in the head, and where it is typically logged a few inch's out side of the head.

I know in the diesel world cylinder pressure data logging is starting to be used as well, and has shown good results from the stand point of (using arbitrary numbers here) rods formerly bending at 650hp, now holding 800hp, just from being able to "see" the combustion event.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »

Ricardo discovered the link between exhaust valve guide temps and engine longevity almost a hundred years ago.  I'm going to place a few probes inside the cylinder head, adjacent to where the exhaust guides are, and let them read the temp of the head where it meets the guide.  It's not stuck in the exhaust stream.

Cylinder pressures are nice, but the transducer pressure sensors are serious jack.  The poor boys run a cheap 0-200 psig transducer where it can read pressure at BDC, the theory being that any detonation event leaves residual pressure at BDC.  Also, crankcase pressure.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:53 AM »

i have a few LONG t.c. probes, but the are about 15 ft long.... but theoretically, couldnt you use a t.c. welder and pop some type k ( rated up to 1100 C* ) t.c. wire to your exhaust? that way you could cheaply put one on each cylinder. if you dont know what a t.c welder is (http://www.tiptemp.com/assets/17/hotspot.gif)
here is the link to buy (http://www.tiptemp.com/assets/17/hotspot.gif) if you dont have access to one. i wouldnt spend 700 tho (but i also have access to a few). but you could just take some t.c. wire, twist it together and fasten it on the exhaust primary with some stainless tie wire ( i wouldnt use carbon). this way would only read surface temps of the primary, but would be pretty close.
   if you wanted to go that route, i have a few spools of type k  t.c. wire ( double insulated), and enough type k comm lead to reach wherever you wanted. if you want it, just gimme shipping and ill give it to you. or if oyu wanted to pay shipping, you could send me the header, mark where you want the reading from, and i can weld the t.c. on and ship it back to you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:16:55 AM by keelay »
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.
Pages: [1]   Go Up