:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big cams and ignition timing  (Read 7022 times)

FreshDA9

Big cams and ignition timing
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »

I dont mess with ignition tables as much as i should since i cannot actually see much change like in a wideband while street tuning. im working on my buddys B16 and he has crower stage 2-3/4 cams in this  :mexi:... i notice with a stock map it idles at 13inv i have got it to sit at 16-17inv with 22-25 degrees of timing. my balls dropped a little more and i uped some more and got it to move to 19-20inv i didint save that map but i be leave i was at 36-38 degrees and feel im playing with fire. this is all at idle. i raised his vtec to 5800rpm but when we actually get to the dyno we will see where that sits. how should i set up the mid range ignition timing, any pointers. And no i didnt post on PGMFI because RHMT is the shit and faster with results  :noel:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:21:09 PM by Joseph Davis »
"quotquot"quotquotBuy your own pants, Get your hands outta mine!"quotquot"quotquot

FreshDA9

Re: Big cams and ignition timing **NWS**
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »

Also here is a screen shot of the cam card that crower directed me to. we dont have the tools to degree it but crower said these cams are best at 4degrees advanced on the intake and 4 retarded on the exhaust so we split it in half and did 2 degrees on the cam gears advanced and retarded. (Crower said we could have them at 0 degrees and the would be fine so we just choose to do 2 degrees instead of the 4).

"quotquot"quotquotBuy your own pants, Get your hands outta mine!"quotquot"quotquot

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »

what is the base timing?
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

FreshDA9

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »

ill take a screen shot on my laptop when i get home and post it. this is a stock bre map i went off of and then started advancing.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »

Pics don't show up on my phone, but what's a Crower 2-3/4 cam?

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
Re: Big cams and ignition timing
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »

Lol.  No pics here either
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »

The picture shows the cam specs, says part number: 63402-2, Grind number: special.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

FreshDA9

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »

The picture is of the Crower Cam card. it cannot be a special grind because its offered on their site with those specs on the cam card. they are NA cams with the crower valve train to match.

When i get home and get onto my laptop ill post some screen shots of ignition and even post maps and logs for you guys.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »

Stock compression?  At low loads you can typically run a much higher ignition advance even with higher compression than stock.  Keep your ears open, watch the plugs and the torque graph for losses and gains.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:39:19 PM »

What type of dyno will you be using?
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

FreshDA9

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »

98vtec thank you for some input i didnt here any signs of knock i do need to pull the plugs and examine them. it wont hit the dyno for a little bit im trying to street tune it before we get to the dyno. i am using a Dynojet 2wd non load bearing so im trying to fill in some of the map during the street tune. but when im on the dyno i can actually overlay the runs and watch the tq graph.

yes car is stock compression. here is a screen shot of the map timing table i beleave this one is sitting around 16-17inv. i did not save the other map but when i go back over to do some more street tuning ill save it.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »

At idle, bigger cams basicly exhale intake charge before the ex valves seal, as well as a bit before in valves seal. The much lower V.E. at low speeds means much less air is in the cylinder when it compresses. Thus the extra timing, since a less dense charge requires more timing to get the peak cyl pressure you want/need.

At higher speeds you've got a whole shitload of things happening that the cam oddities now work with. Pulse waves, scavenging, etc - they all lead up to >100% VE in some cases. In layman's terms, it's using the intake and exhaust gasses as rubber bands to pull more air in.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

At idle, bigger cams basicly exhale intake charge before the ex valves seal

Nope.  If it did that, then intake manifold vacuum would be higher.

Think about it.  What's happening here?

jabberwock

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »

Pistons are dwelling without valve sealing, some gets blown back up the intake, vacuum suffers!

?

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »

At idle, bigger cams basicly exhale intake charge before the ex valves seal

Nope.  If it did that, then intake manifold vacuum would be higher.

Think about it.  What's happening here?

Okay I messed up there, it's injesting exhaust instead. The extra overlap/cam timing leads to reversion, so it pulls even less air from the IM. [/quote]

I didn't read the rest of the crap you just typed, but that's it right there.   :yes:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:07:17 PM by Joseph Davis »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:20 PM »

Okay, I just screwed up and edited instead of quoted?  Sorry about that, but you get the idea of what I meant to say even if all that other crap got accidentally deleted.     :-\

FreshDA9

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

So your saying or meaning the exhaust is bleeding back in because of the more duration. so more advancing would fix this problem by letting more air in from the intake manifold.

BangBusMaster

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »

Slam dizzy to firewall. Go WOT.

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »

Slam dizzy to firewall. Go WOT.

that shit didnt work on my car :-\
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »

Okay, I just screwed up and edited instead of quoted? Sorry about that, but you get the idea of what I meant to say even if all that other crap got accidentally deleted.   :-\

wow. epic quote fail.  :D

The rest was a continuation of what I said earlier. I was mixing up why huge amounts of overlap were bad for blowers, as I thinking how I could use that for comparison.

So your saying or meaning the exhaust is bleeding back in because of the more duration. so more advancing would fix this problem by letting more air in from the intake manifold.

Advancing the CAM timing would lead to less intake charge bleed-off, but then you'd be losing one of the cam's reasons for making upper-rpm power. Depending on the cam, it would also open the exhaust too early after advancing - you'd be letting exhaust out before it's done pushing the piston down.

That's why dohc vtec actually helps with crazy cams - you get a cam profile that idles and another that screams to redline.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:01:52 AM by HiProfile »
Pages: [1]   Go Up