:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: UI's 703hp Purple beast - She is injured  (Read 267767 times)

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
Re: UI's 703hp Purple beast - She is injured
« Reply #1230 on: June 23, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »

It depends, you'll have to call them up and ask.  I know Ge had a bunch of sleeved ls blocks on the shelf at one time.

I shipped my block to Ge and had it back in 2 weeks from the date i shipped it.  Thats ca to fl twice.

Where'd the crackdown name come from??
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1231 on: June 23, 2010, 12:18:10 AM »

I don't want to send this case in, I think the sleeve carrier has been compromised. Anyone got a spare case? Guess I can make some calls in the morning to ERL and GE.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #1232 on: June 23, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »

Where'd the crackdown name come from??

Supposed to be a temp OG permit...
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

narfdanarf

« Reply #1233 on: June 23, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »

I run GE sleeves with o-rings...so far so good.  I bought a 84mm HD sleeved GSR block from them I think it was 1200 shipped including the core block/mains (and old bolts)/girdle/oring grooves and a spool of copper wire.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1234 on: June 23, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »

I run GE sleeves with o-rings...so far so good.  I bought a 84mm HD sleeved GSR block from them I think it was 1200 shipped including the core block/mains (and old bolts)/girdle/oring grooves and a spool of copper wire.

They gave you copper wire for your O rings? Really? Are you sure it wasn't copper coated steel?

narfdanarf

« Reply #1235 on: June 23, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »

100% positive, in fact I used it all so I bought a 25 foot spool from the hardware store.  Apparently everyone (sleeve manufacturers) uses the same shit.  It's .040 copper wire made for hanging pictures.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #1236 on: June 23, 2010, 12:53:41 AM »

We have a couple spools of 0.030" copper wire we use for o-ringed blocks at the shop.  IDK what they "come" with, but that's what we've used.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1237 on: June 23, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »

Weird, I use stainless wire, but most of these heads I am doing are for 100+ psi.

narfdanarf

« Reply #1238 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »

The golden eagle setup is only rated to 70. ;)  And only the block has grooves in it.  There is no receiver grooves in the head.  IE it's like running a copper step deck, although there is still a step deck with the GE sleeves.

narfdanarf

« Reply #1239 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:14 AM »

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #1240 on: June 23, 2010, 01:26:37 AM »

Weird, I use stainless wire, but most of these heads I am doing are for 100+ psi.

Alot of the diesel guys here use either or, I think it just comes down to builder preference. I've noticed the SS wire is used with copper head gaskets, whie the copper wire is use with MLS gasket.

GE wont use any of the sleeve carrier, it'll all get removed. He should be able to send that block to them
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1241 on: June 23, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »

Narf, that looks like a lot of protrusion on those rings, what were they set at?

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #1242 on: June 23, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »

I have used for O rings:

-Copper wire, 1mm ~ 0.041" I hate using this as I don't have the patience for it, and end up flattening it and just generally fucking it up, when I try to use it.

-ER70S welding wire (mild steel) in both .045 and .030 on the same head... Worst O-ringing groove job ever, and it still held ~70psi of boost with a 400hp shot. Ran a low 10 in a 7000lbs truck.

- SS safety wire mostly 1mm stuff

- Inconel safety wire, again mostly 1mm stuff

The welding wire head we started out with the normal standard SS safety wire, but soon realized that depth and groove width were all over the place, and the only thing we could get at that point was welding wire. So we made do.

I really dislike using copper, as stated I always fuck it up trying to get it to sit into the groove nicely. My fine motor skills are lacking to say the least.

My pick is either SS or inconel, they both do a good job, and are easy enough to work with.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1243 on: June 23, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »

Where is Levi? Buy a block son.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #1244 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »

Ouch.

I vote HOTREX devcon mod and bore that bitch out.  O0

JK

GE son.  DO IT, That block was suspect anyways... Everything you got from Laskey was  (RIP Earl)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1245 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »

Hey narf, what kind of sleeve support is that?

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #1246 on: June 23, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »

i think they are just the factory GE hd sleaves
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1247 on: June 23, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »

i think they are just the factory GE hd sleaves

Hmm, I like.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #1248 on: June 23, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

Yup.

Standard GE HD sleeves with O-ring grooves... The Supports sit all the way on the top of the shelf thats machined in the block to receive them. They CANNOT "sink". The Supports are about 2 inches tall, its not just a thin ring around the top of the sleeve like a Darton. Nor do they leak like Bensons Dartons (which I have seen wiith my own eyes, as has Ross).

They use a .002 stepdeck.

Same shizz I got. I sent them a block (UPS on me)... For 930 they sent me it sleeved back in 3 weeks. K and H motors they charge an extra 100 to sleeve... I got mine done through CAMP 1320, Tom had a deal with them where it was actually cheaper to cgo through camp than directly through GE.

I didnt have them do any machining other than the stepdeck. Didnt need to have a line bore or anything after getting it back.

Solid.
Still in the wood crate they shipped it back in

Last time the head was off a couple years ago:

Dave I tried to txt you, but my phones being gay....

This is the third Benson Block I know of PERSONALLY failing. I tend to think that th block was suspect all along. 2 heads? cmon, even if the machineing was messed up (I dont think it was) twice???  I thought the block needed to be looked at from the jump the first time. Everything else was (suspect)..... I have yet to know anyone whose had a GE block fail. Not 1.

Not that there arent other options, and not that I dont think the (new) crew are semi retarded but if I were going to do another block, It would mos def be GE.

Their support is good as well... Roberts ass is just wrapped around Bisis nuts. Who cares.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:55:19 PM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

jabberwock

« Reply #1249 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »

What is a stepdeck?

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #1250 on: June 23, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

What is a stepdeck?

Just like what it sounds, there is a few thou taken off the area of the block where the fire ring of the head gasket sits, so that when it is clamped it provides more of a mechanical seal.

A true fire ring setup they do the step deck, a receiver grove in the head, and then cut out the fire ring in the head gasket, and use a wire fire ring.

All just different approaches to keeping the cylinder pressure, in the cylinder.

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1251 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »

Dave I tried to txt you, but my phones being gay....

This is the third Benson Block I know of PERSONALLY failing. I tend to think that th block was suspect all along. 2 heads? cmon, even if the machineing was messed up (I dont think it was) twice???  I thought the block needed to be looked at from the jump the first time. Everything else was (suspect)..... I have yet to know anyone whose had a GE block fail. Not 1.

Not that there arent other options, and not that I dont think the (new) crew are semi retarded but if I were going to do another block, It would mos def be GE.

Their support is good as well... Roberts ass is just wrapped around Bisis nuts. Who cares?

Yeah its pretty apparent why these sleeves fail to me now, they are just too thin, before this happened I never really looked into how these sleeves are machined and fit. I just looked it up and I am all :?:

I don't think there is an issue with how either the block or head was machined. However, so far all I have seen from Laskey is a total lack of quality in the parts they sell. The skunk cams are junk, the valve spring retainers were poorly machined, but still functional, the valves were crap, the sleeves are shit, customer service was equally poor.
My poor little Indian buddy got it bad :(

Ungay your phone Spikey. Unless you are trying to text my shop number, texts won;t work, I'll pm you my cell, but my phone can only receive texts, can't send them.

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #1252 on: June 23, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »

i have both the new style(same as above) and the older style GE hd sleaves. same as above but with bigger but fewer support fingers both work great.
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1253 on: June 23, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

What is a stepdeck?

Just like what it sounds, there is a few thou taken off the area of the block where the fire ring of the head gasket sits, so that when it is clamped it provides more of a mechanical seal.

A true fire ring setup they do the step deck, a receiver grove in the head, and then cut out the fire ring in the head gasket, and use a wire fire ring.

All just different approaches to keeping the cylinder pressure, in the cylinder.

Actually its the opposite, step deck is when you machine the area outside the sleeves about .001-.002" lower than the sleeve deck, so that the sleeves sit higher than the rest of the block.

I might be doing a engine pretty soon here where I will do a true fire ring, and no headgasket at all :D

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #1254 on: June 23, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

I think I can get you a deal on a sleeved block through Ried. Im not into INT. phone rates, so find a Canuk that has a US area code phone and we can discuss... I already put a call into him to see what I can get you one for (IF you want to go the GE route)...  I got one done for Mitch through him. I dont even think CAMP1320 is still around or Id check there too. Tom was cool as hell. He hooked me the fuck up on mine. 930 shipped son   :noel:

It all come down to if you need a core or not I guess but we can chat later if you like.

What is a stepdeck?

Actually its the opposite, step deck is when you machine the area outside the sleeves about .001-.002" lower than the sleeve deck, so that the sleeves sit higher than the rest of the block.

This

---GFI we build FAST---

Crackdown

• Resident Heterosexual
  • Certified OG
    • REAL Homemade Turbo
« Reply #1255 on: June 23, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

$930 shipped is cheap, nice. I am waiting for sea well to call me back, apparently hes got something going on.
See what you can find, I'll give you a call after I talk to Tom.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #1256 on: June 23, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »

i have both the new style(same as above) and the older style GE hd sleaves. same as above but with bigger but fewer support fingers both work great.

Ya the old ones were the Godzilla sleeves. They had 6 lugs per sleeve for support.

---GFI we build FAST---

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #1257 on: June 23, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »

What is a stepdeck?

I might be doing a engine pretty soon here where I will do a true fire ring, and no headgasket at all :D

Meh, the reason for doing it is the same.  :P

Sounds interesting.

90turboteg

• Rebuildin turbos
« Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2010, 03:59:29 PM »

i was wondering what the best sleeve out there was for a b? since my oldschool crx is done, my 91hf needs a built motor. i was leaning twards benson. but id like some info, i dont want oring crap, just a sleved block...
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7900/l37c04d3e54190216b7259c.th.jpg
daily driven 86 crx. john Deere flat black, fresh dohc zc w/arp goodies w/75 wet shot
Vitara setup in the works... 400+whp goal be done this season

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »

Move the fat from in front of your eyes.. GE

---GFI we build FAST---
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Up