:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car wont start... cant figure out why.  (Read 4236 times)

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
Car wont start... cant figure out why.
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

Key points so it makes solving easier.

Car ran fine before on the same ecu, stock injectors. TO my defense the cars existing injector wiring was already short as hell from a semi wire tuck which made it a pain to wire up the two things I did on them.. Separately of course  8)

I changed:
TPS but dialed in
OMNI 4 Bar, but threw that in on the basemap
New fresh map with a p72 basecode, all sensors on
PTE 780cc's Using some of their voltage offsets but I cant fit all as there is not as many fields to plug it in.
PTE 780 Offsets emailed from PTE
1.63ms@8.7v  1.00ms@10.4v  .80ms@12.2v  .70ms@13.9v  .60ms@15.6v  .56ms@17.4v  .56ms@19.1v  .53ms@20.9v
I show mine in the video
10 ohm 10 watt resistors I tried to turn the car over with twice.. Pulled on them and noticed one was broken so I tried the resistor box route and pulled a code for injector wiring poop. Also in the video
While trying to connect a wire to my B6 input on the harness, I noticed the conversion harness tabs that keep the pins in place came apart slightly. I did try to push the wires into it but it seemed they were all the way in. Still having a wiring issue at the conversion harness on my previous build worried me with this one. Can take pics if needed.
Never got the crank sensor code before or the injector wiring poop code. ELD has been there before and I was able to disable it in the system with no issues.

Kind of a recap of what I said with video
Civic starting issues

chris

Re: Car wont start... cant figure out why.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »

spark/fuel?

Its really that simple

tps can be way off and the car will still run just like ass but it will start

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »

Getting fuel all the way to the injectors but I dont know from there if its dumping fuel or not. Fuel pressure is up as well.

I will check injector voltage at the clips in a few minutes and try to ground out a screwdriver to check for spark

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »

Getting fuel all the way to the injectors but I dont know from there if its dumping fuel or not. Fuel pressure is up as well.

I will check injector voltage at the clips in a few minutes and try to ground out a screwdriver to check for spark

Have you pulled a plug to see if they are getting wet from fuel?

chris

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »

also if your dumping tons of fuel on your plugs pull them and clean them up best as possible. It does happen that a car will have fuel/spark and wont start from plugs soaked/fouled from fuel fixed a couple cars in my day from that.

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Before I crank it over again I just wanted to ask something else. I just checked the voltage on the injector clips and they all read 11.24 - 11.45 volts coming out of the clip. Is this good if I wired in the resistor pack correctly?

Will check for fuel and spark at the plugs after you guys answer as I really dont want to fry the ecu with shotty wiring on my part. Thanks

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »

I have spark to the plugs.. I took out plug 1 and 4 and I dont see or smell any signs of gas.

Last night I wired it normal to test the stock injectors but I threw away the clips since I thought I would never use them again.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:57:47 PM by imburne »

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »

Oi, I need some help mates.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »

To much shit to be wrong. I would start trying to narrow shit down, by pulling 4 bar out and go back to stock, and I would also try stock obd0-obd1 since you have it wired for them. Are u using Crome?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »

I had similar issue before, resistor box wiring or injector wire at the clips.

I'd find another harness and start over, I did that and work out.

On the next setup I'm building a whole new harness.  :noel:

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »

ohm out the inj. back to the computer?
If the injectors are firing then the dizzy is sending enough signals to the ecu so thats working(as far as sensors)
strange question as I think the car would still run just really shitty is are the injectors wired correctly to there respective cyl?
another really stupid question is do you have the tps/map plugs swapped?
I would just start at the injector wiring and trace it all the way back to the ecu.

code 16 is a code when either an injector reads open or short to ground.

Hope this helps

I agree with aj and try stock map stock injectors.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »

I always try and do shit 1 step at a time, and test everything after. Like when I go to turbo my car, I will have to wire up a resistor pack for my 72# injectors. I will do that b4 I even strap a turbo on. Then ill tweek my stock bin untill its pretty close. Then put what ever map sensor im gona run in and tweek it a little. After that Ill slap my turbo on and set my boost cut at 1-2 psi and do all my part throttle tuning.

Also I was talking to LEED about running a 4bar on crome and he said that if I was set on running crome to get a 3 bar otherwise upgrade to ectune to run the 4 bar. He said crome and 4 bar are kinda tricky.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »

See if it runs on starting fluid.

Completely unplug conversion harness, both sides.  Push all wires into the connectors to ensure they have not backed out.  When plugging back in, push connectors in by their wires and NOT by the plugs to make sure no pins get pushed out. 

If the conversion harness has black OBD1 plugs, make sure that miscegenated piece of shit hasn't hurt the ECU's connector.

Have tuning/datalogging gear?  Seeing what the ECU sees is always the best.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:25:52 AM by Joseph Davis »

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »

Oh, yeah.  You sound like a smooth ass black dude in that video.   O0

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

Basically your car isn't getting the right air/fuel/spark it wants. You need to back track to find out what it's not getting enough of (if at all), or getting too much of.

If the MAP is reading -1 psi, it's fairly close, but it's still better to get it running on a stock sensor first. Next turn on the key, then measure the resistance from the battery +12v to the injector clips - both sides since you've molested the wires. With the injector box in, it should read 6-8 ohms, with no injector box it will read 1ohm or less. You should also check resistance between the two wires in each injector clip. There should be no continuity between them.

As JD said, try starting it with starter fluid. Spray a shitload into the throttle body after disconnecting the injectors, then crank it over a few times. Make sure the plugs are dry like Das said, you can hit them with starter fluid or carb cleaner. It should at least sputter a little.

If it starts, ziptie the injectors to the rail, pull them out of the manifold, then crank it over with them plugged in. If they spray, it's a matter of too much or too little fuel. If not all spray, it's your wiring.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

imburne

• Certified OG
    • TurboByHOLSET
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »

Thank you everyone for the input. So the car started last night. I wired the injectors like normal, cut off the tabs of the OBD2 stock injectors so they fit with the OBD1 plugs. So it could have been my shitty wiring, which I looked over before removing and it looked fine... Or, the fact that I might of not uploaded the map correctly. Thanks for the help
Oh, yeah.  You sound like a smooth ass black dude in that video.   O0

No shit? This is nOt good. First time I seen my badass and racist cousins in over a year and one of the first things they say is are you hanging out with any niggies?

chris

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »

you live in antelope valley it was due that you would sound like a black brown dude

if you ever talk to jay aka flip nog he sounds like surfer white dude

pretty funny.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »

He is a white guy, he's just real real tan

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

He is a white guy, he's just real real tan
Pages: [1]   Go Up