:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: time to get a CDM turbo..  (Read 4017 times)

walter

• Certified OG
time to get a CDM turbo..
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »

since my T28 garret is broken, i dont want to buy a expensive turbo..was thinking about to upgrade to this turbo..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230891779182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ive heard emusa cdm turbos works good w/ its restictor..not sure if someone around here has any experience with that turbo..

any input will be appreciate it!

Thanks.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: time to get a CDM turbo..
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

i made a post about a year ago on CDM turbos. got a decent response (do a search). but basically oil restrictor, and keeping the boost >15psi seems to keep them alive a decent amount of time. high boost seems to kill them quickly.

on another note. i have a EMUSA intercooler and wastegate on my CRX. and had the intercooler on my ITR also. both seem to be holding up fine. i get a decently solid 10-11psi out of my WG (ever so slight bumps in my logs, could be placement tho), and the intercooler seems to be holding up fine also.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

theidealone

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »

Ive used EMUSA parts, as well as a few of my friends. No complaints so far. But Ive never ran one of their turbos.

I ran a CXracing (probably the exact same shit) turbo years ago on the ZC. At 19 psi, I made 340, and it was a blast. Held up just fine (I did run a restrictor, but not sure it was actually necessary). Once we tried to turn it up to 27psi, it didnt last more than a few miles. Thrust bearing couldnt hold up, and the compressor hit the cover.

So keep it under 20psi, and youll probably never have an issue. For the price, you cant beat it.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

Do you remember which trim turbo it was?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »

EMUSA/E Motor is what I used to sell back in the day. The turbos are great under 10psi. I never got more than 4-6 months at 15psi. Their waste gates and intercoolers are solid parts. I wouldn't hesitate to run them
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »

It looks like most of the CDM turbos from the biggest sellers are balanced to some degree. I got a paperweight from someone (xspower) from years ago that had zero balancing. I don't think they balance them dynamically (bolted together), just one piece at a time.

I'm curious if you could upgrade them to a real 360* thrust bearing and get better high boost miles from them.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »

I remember talking to Blaast a long while back about that. He was telling me that a CDM turbo rebuilt with quality parts, balanced and 360° thrust bearing would be a decent turbo. Only downside is, no matter how long it lasts, they just don't make the same power as the real urbo they copy. So, you have $150(buying originally) +$300(rebuild), you could buy 2 holsets for that price.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »

Thanks for your replies! , about trim, i can't remember it right now.. it's a T28 from SR20DET S14, ive heard that problem with these turbos are these are not balanced but just checked pictures and looks like they are, not sure if balancing it again should make it more reliable...

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

I think the deal with CDM turbos is the parts are balanced separately, and not together as a unit. Just cause the comp wheel and turbine wheel are balanced alone, doesn't mean they won't need more when bolted together.
obd1>gtgtall

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »

what i thought, ok ,i will ask price for balancing everything, pretty sure i will take gt28 unit next week.

Thanks for info!!!

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:48:10 AM »

For the thrust bearing upgrade, I was refering to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-T3-T4-T04E-360-Degree-Turbo-Thrust-Bearing-Thrust-Collar-Spacer-/121041153920?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2e9d6f80&vxp=mtr

You'd probably have to buy the turbo and have it dynamically balanced locally by a diesel service. I doubt many places would do that by itself, but maybe Spain is different.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:02:54 AM by HiProfile »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »

yeah, i did it but not balanced in this turbo, so i assume i did something wrong , that was pretty easy but idk, i will take apart from mani and check everything, then i'd take that gt28 cdm unit..

ihave a restrictor but not sure if this will works on that cdm turbo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT25-GT28RS-Turbo-4AN-Oil-Feed-Fitting-w-Restrictor-/380542343060?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4450138404448157845%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D121041153920%26

carkrazed

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 11:13:55 PM »

I've ran several 57 trims and a 60-1. Never blew one up and pushed them to 25psi quite often. Ran a .0625 restrictor and -10 AN return.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »

didnt get any boost because there were a newspaper into ic lool anyway i will get another cdm turbo soon!

NoPistons!

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:33:03 AM »

It looks like most of the CDM turbos from the biggest sellers are balanced to some degree. I got a paperweight from someone (xspower) from years ago that had zero balancing. I don't think they balance them dynamically (bolted together), just one piece at a time.

I'm curious if you could upgrade them to a real 360* thrust bearing and get better high boost miles from them.

xs power is known dogshit. 

MOST of the typical turbos you see out there will use garrett/turbonetics parts.   Material and the tolerances the turbo is built to have alot to do with that thrust wear making turbos much like vaginas.   Some are more sloppy and dissatisfying than others.

I live in walking distance of a legit strip and people come from all over to run their whatevers.  I bump into alot of cdm boosted hondas at gas stations on the weekends mid spring/summer every year and they love their turblows.  Proof is in the pudding.  This shit is cheap enough to upgrade and fuck off with.   Still no word on cdm single ball bearing turbos.   Everyone is still scared of them it seems.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »

I sold one back when they first came out. It failed pretty much instantly, got him another and never heard results.
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: [1]   Go Up