:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil restrictor on holset  (Read 11818 times)

SiFlyBy

oil restrictor on holset
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:19 AM »

I'm putting a HY35 on my WRX. I just need to know if any of you Nogs are putting any restriction in the oil feed line for Holsets. I'm a Holset virgin  :-[. I always have on garretts in the past, but diesel trucks seem to run a little more oil pressure than gassers so IDK.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

hot coolant eats carbon, like a nigger eats chicken.

boosted wagon

Re: oil restrictor on holset
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Don't. -3 feed done.

SiFlyBy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »

sweet thanks. I remembered reading somewhere that Holsets like more oil volume.

hot coolant eats carbon, like a nigger eats chicken.

boosted 00 black si

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »

humm i've used a oil restrictor on everyone of my turbos including my holset

go fuck your self

BORN TO BOOST
LITTLE B16.400whp on 16psi

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »

Don't. -3 feed done.

This. My stealthmode kit has lasted almost 6 years now without a single issue.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

bigwig

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »

The issue is with oil pressure naturally produced by the engine.  B series Vtec engines have higher oil pressure than B-series non-vtec.  The need for a restrictor really depends on what engine you have.  In the end, $15 restrictor is relatively cheap insurance.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »

The issue is with oil pressure naturally produced by the engine.  B series Vtec engines have higher oil pressure than B-series non-vtec.  The need for a restrictor really depends on what engine you have.  In the end, $15 restrictor is relatively cheap insurance.

Have you ever even owned a turbo? Or better yet a turbo'd vehicle? You have a wonderful "idea" that I am sure you read somewhere, but I have lost an H1C to a restrictor and boosted wagon has lost at least one Holset. I lost one on a Nissan, Boosted wagon lost one on a B- series.

The -3 no restrictor recommendation is from experience.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:46:39 PM by dvst8r »
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

bigwig

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »

Have you ever even owned a turbo? Or better yet a turbo'd vehicle? You have a wonderful "idea" that I am sure you read somewhere, but I have lost an H1C to a restrictor and boosted wagon has lost at least one Holset. I lost one on a Nissan, Boosted wagon lost one on a B- series.

The -3 no restrictor recommendation is from experience.

Yes, and yes.

Moving forward, it's not an idea I "read somewhere" but something I've figured out as B-series Vtec cars blow turbos on a higher rate than any d-series or B-series non vtec.  Knowing oil pressure is higher on a B-series vtec engine and oil pressure is directly related to turbo seals blowing, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that when you're vehicle naturally has higher oil pressure, you need to dial it down and a restrictor does that.

Because you blew a turbo with an oil restrictor, now you are the authority on saying without a doubt, Holset turbos don't need oil restrictors?  The same was said about GT series turbos 4 years ago and then people realize although they had some stupid half assed oil restrictor, 100psi of oil pressure was a bit too much still.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »

After having blown up well over 20 holset turbo's, and numerous BW's and a handful of garrets, only one from starving it from oil. I also work with alamo turbo's on a regular basis on turbo failures, both mine, and other gas and oil companies. Yeah I would say I have an above average grasp of this.

There are 10:1 (Alamo's numbers not mine), turbos that come in that have been starved of oil vs blown a seal out from too much pressure.

Restrictors have there place, but put one on a -3an, or -4an feed line on a holset or bw turbo, and you are asking for issues.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »

After having blown up well over 20 holset turbo's, and numerous BW's and a handful of garrets, only one from starving it from oil. I also work with alamo turbo's on a regular basis on turbo failures, both mine, and other gas and oil companies. Yeah I would say I have an above average grasp of this.

There are 10:1 (Alamo's numbers not mine), turbos that come in that have been starved of oil vs blown a seal out from too much pressure.

Restrictors have there place, but put one on a -3an, or -4an feed line on a holset or bw turbo, and you are asking for issues.

If a Holset is smoking, and a restrictor cures the issue, do you think it'll run into issue down the road?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »

That is a hard question to answer, as it may be getting enough oil now, or too little. If it starts smoking again, you will know it was too little.

One of the other major issues, we have found is undersized or poorly routed drains. This can mask as too much oil pressure, as with the additional volume of oil, the drain is unable to evacuate the oil quick enough, and it backs up and starts to smoke. You add a restrictor, it stops the smoking for a little bit, as the oil drain is able to move that volume of oil, but now there is not enough oil to do the job properly and the turbo starts smoking again. 

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »

Well, I'm using the OEM drain that came on the HX35 I got, 7/8 inch I think is what it measures out to.

How much oil does a Holset need then?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »

I don't remember the exact range, I will call alamo tomorrow and get it.

Edit:

Found it in some of my holset docs saved on the comp. Sorry all in metric, will convert...

Min oil pressure: 210 kPa ~30.5psi
Max oil pressure: 500 kPa ~72.5psi

Min Oil flow at idle 2L/min ~ 2.11 quarts
Min Oil flow at operation 3L/min ~ 3.17 quarts

Normal oil temp 95C +/- 5C ~ 203F +/- 9F
MAX oil temp under any condition 120C ~ 248F

Recommended max crankcase pressure 0.8 kPa ~ 0.116psi

One more note, Holsets really don't like angles, Garrets (iirc) can be tipped to ~ 15 degrees, max recommended angle for a holset is 10 degrees from vertical measured at the oil inlet centerline. With the rotor centerline +/- 5 degrees from horizontal.

Holset permits oil return pipes to decline at an overall angle of not less then 30 degrees below horizontal.

Minimum return ID 14mm ~ 0.55"

Return connection to sump must NOT be submerged.

The outlet flange of the turbocharger must be 50mm ~ 2" above the maximum oil level of the engine oil sump pan.

Oil must meet API SE - CD at minimum. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:27:38 PM by dvst8r »

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

Holsets come with a 0.080" restrictor built into their feed line, at least for the Dodge/Cummins applications.  The size of that restrictor will NEED to vary with the oil pressure of whatever engine you bolt a Holset to.  Also, I'm pretty sure they change a little in re: desired oil pressure across the years and families, so looking up OEM service lit to get some idea is a good idea.

Have you ever even owned a turbo? Or better yet a turbo'd vehicle? You have a wonderful "idea" that I am sure you read somewhere,

+100000

bigwig

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

So basically what I said was 100% accurate.

Good to know.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »

Rass, shut the fuck up.  You're about four posts away from having your account deleted - for your own good.

I swear, if you were withheld the internet for 24 hours you'd be forced to get laid. 

ironcrx

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »

Even though this thread is specifying a holstet turbo, oil pressure made by the motor (speaking in the case of my nissan, not honda) is pressurized at whatever the motor is built at but the issue is whether or not to use a restrictor?  What about straight oil unrestricted with other turbo models and other motors?  Restricted </>/= unrestricted.  I had to make my own oil lines for my missing stock set so I would hope I'm not flooding my shit at least.

I ask in all seriousness.  Dont shit can me before I get my s12 rippers on the site JD  :P

Also: I been hitting the vodka again tonight.  So this could be a shit question in hindsight tomorrow
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

bigwig

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »

Some motors naturally create lower oil pressure than others.  As a result, there is no one size fits all answer.  The best thing to do is contact the turbo manufacturer and find out what oil pressure they suggest their turbo run at.  Get undrilled piece of brass fitting to act like a restrictor and an oil gauge.  Drill a small hole, see what the oil pressure is.  If it's too low, drill a bigger hole.  You can also try to figure out a ball valve type restrictor that might work.

Your other option is to use case evidence, ie: Other people have successfully done things one way, so it's safe to assume I'll be able to do the same.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »

Ross:  I've ignored your little chips for about 6-8 months now.  Continue and I'll rip right into you and go straight for the meat of it.  So you can either choose to ignore my existence and stop creating faggot internet drama or I'm going to piss you off to the point you'll be embarrassed by being piss off by something someone said on the internet

Bring it, princess. 

bigwig

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »

I've actually decided against it.  It only continues to feed your internet ego.  The world has put you right where you belong.

2slow

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »

This is simple. Find oil pressure range for turbo-get stealthmode restrictor and an oil pressure gauge-put oil gauge between restritor and turbo-turn lever on stealthmodes restritor unitl it is at acceptable level. /thread

jabberwock

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »

JUST FUCKING RUN IT

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

I've actually decided against it.  It only continues to feed your internet ego.  The world has put you right where you belong.

If you are stepping down, then let me apologize for the pre-emptive strike I made this morning by shitting in a box and shipping to you.

jdmhatchracer94

• I have a nova that will never run!!
  • Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »

I run -6 straight from engine to h1c and got no fuckin problems at all
4 door eg nbspnbsp 13.2@118 someone needs to run slicks
338hp 293tq

Good enough to fuck your mother

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 11:29:54 PM »

FYI Garrett recommends 20min-50max PSI for a T3 chra. -3an by itself tends to be borderline for cooking their seals. I have a lower pressure D16 feeding an old t3/t04b with a 0.060" restrictor and I've ran smoke&toast-free for a good 10k on that now.

So a -3an no restrictor on a holset that wants 50% more oil seems fine...assuming it has pressure like a Honda motor. If you get 30psi at cold startups, go with a bigger feed  :?:
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 12:03:26 AM »

Why not come up with a pressure regulator for the terblow oil supply?

:?:

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »

If you are stepping down, then let me apologize for the pre-emptive strike I made this morning by shitting in a box and shipping to you.

Hey hey old man, thats my fuckin M.O., dont be jockin me baldnog.  hopefully arsenio posts up his wonderful package once it arrives.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt
Pages: [1]   Go Up