:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking in Rebuilt Motor  (Read 7921 times)

MantisX

Re: Breaking in Rebuilt Motor
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »

I remember very distinctly the first time I was ever around when a Motor was broken in. I would have been some where in that 7-10 years old area. My grandfather had just finished putting a blown 408 in a 55 belair. He used a drill with some home made adapter to pressurize and prime the oil system, set the timing close to where it should be, dumped a pop bottle cap full of fuel down the carb, and had me hit the key. As soon as it fired he took over throttle control, and tinkered with it till it had a high idle. After that he just played with the throttle up and down for about 20min, shut off the car (I didn't realize till many years later that he was breaking in the cam), changed the oil, set the valves, fired it back up, let it get up to operating temp again, did his final adjustment on setting the distributer, as well as setting the carb for the proper idle, then said get in.

We proceeded to do about a 2 block long cooker, drove around town, out on to the hiway did a couple more full throttle pulls, came back to town, put fuel in the car, went back to the farm, changed the oil again, and he pulled the plugs looked at them and changed them out. That was it. 

Greatest story ever told. Ever. I saw it all happening in my head.

Zeniceguycrx

• Certified OG
  • BIG BOOST OG RICER, The one and only
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »

I just broke in by lightly built b16.
finished installing engine on tues night
dollyed the car to mt tremblant wed morning
let car idle for 20min trip from hotel to race track
beat the piss out of it for 2 day
Engine is happy   ;D
The 30psi king of rice

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »

just drive it reg take the rpm up and the the motor decel it self change oil rape it let the motor decel  change oil and snap a rod
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »

I remember very distinctly the first time I was ever around when a Motor was broken in. I would have been some where in that 7-10 years old area. My grandfather had just finished putting a blown 408 in a 55 belair. He used a drill with some home made adapter to pressurize and prime the oil system, set the timing close to where it should be, dumped a pop bottle cap full of fuel down the carb, and had me hit the key. As soon as it fired he took over throttle control, and tinkered with it till it had a high idle. After that he just played with the throttle up and down for about 20min, shut off the car (I didn't realize till many years later that he was breaking in the cam), changed the oil, set the valves, fired it back up, let it get up to operating temp again, did his final adjustment on setting the distributer, as well as setting the carb for the proper idle, then said get in.

We proceeded to do about a 2 block long cooker, drove around town, out on to the hiway did a couple more full throttle pulls, came back to town, put fuel in the car, went back to the farm, changed the oil again, and he pulled the plugs looked at them and changed them out. That was it. 

I was thinking the same thing...
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »

you mean take out the t-stat?

Little trick -  take a small piece of zip tie like an end cut no more than 1/2 inch long, open the t-stat and insert, it will hold it open till the engine gets up to temp, then dislodge and fall to the bottom of your rad tank harmlessly.  this will take the worry of overheating the fresh engine due to an air pocket out of the question

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 10:55:51 PM »

I was thinking the same thing...

lol thats hillarious i saw it all like a movie.   i gotta stop smoking meth
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

shadow

• Certified OG
  • out either bangin gears or your mom
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »

what oil? no one ever mentioned that?
'Get the fucking handout and give it to me. I'll put a "Sponsored by Darkelvis Racing" banner on my drag car, and spend the money on crack and hookers.'

chris

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »

cheap oil. Your dumping it right away

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

SUPER TECH  O0

shadow

• Certified OG
  • out either bangin gears or your mom
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

i meant what weight oil?

im still debating on which break in procedure to go with. :-\
'Get the fucking handout and give it to me. I'll put a "Sponsored by Darkelvis Racing" banner on my drag car, and spend the money on crack and hookers.'

Cooljnateman

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »

i broke mine in shit was easy turned it on for 30 sec made sure shit was good to go then turned it back on let it do a heat cycle

let it cool for a little went for a 10 min drive HIGH vacumm style with my boost gauge in kinda conviennt

no lie shit ran rough at first it needed a valve adjustment but i did that after a week, drove it in high vacum still

week later about 300 miles changed oil shit looked real clean motors run real quite now, valve adjustment went well

its about to hit another oil change im at like 900 miles now gona change it at 1000, ive done some 1st and 2nd gear rips here and there but never WOT on highway or nothin and so far this shit is great no leaks oil looks good

and its good to go
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »

Tell them how I made you do the valve adjustment and you almost cryed......

Shits not easy.......   For a newb...   He got it done.......    He's learning....

Helped with the first one then walked away and nate almost shit himself....   "I can't do this by myself"  Yes you can't cause your gonna...  Good luck....

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »

Shit, 1000miles! I think I do that in 4 months if not more. Break in will take me forever   :-\

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Panis

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »

Not sure if I missed this... What kind of oil is best to break in the engine? Cheap ass non-detergent? Or Castroil 10w-30?

Cooljnateman

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

the cheap THICK shit like my dick its cheap and thick!
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

Panis

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »

the cheap THICK shit like my dick its cheap and thick!

yeah thats not the least bit creepy...   :?:

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »

the cheap THICK shit like my dick its cheap and thick and short like the end of my thumb! I get no penetration, but I can bruise the outside of the pussy.

Panis

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2009, 11:16:47 PM »

Seriously, what's the best/cheapest motor oil to use for breakin. Detergent additives or no?

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 12:58:22 AM »

I just used what ever i had. i think it was castrol 10-30
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Cooljnateman

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »

like i said you mother fucking newb the cheapest shit u can find thats 10w 30 or even 10w 40 fuckin dnt go buy synthetic u little mothefucker
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up