:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: running corolla on 1qt of oil  (Read 6427 times)

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
running corolla on 1qt of oil
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »

So my stepdad said the corolla started knocking pretty good when cold 2 months ago and he hadnt gotten the oil changed in about 15,000 miles so he sold it to me for a grand and picked up a bmw
i finally got around to plating the corolla and driving it up to school (300 miles at 90mph), it did fine didnt hear any knocking just a lil valve train noise and the dipstick was filthy and didnt register any oil
changed the oil today and less than 1 qt came out and about 4.5 went in... there were no flakes in the oil, the engine purrs now with no noise... is this fucker going to be reliable or should I look to flip it in the next month? I couldnt believe how little oil came out, have never seen that before but I have heard of it. I cant believe that the bearings and valve train/cams are ok but I guess they might be. It's the 1zzzzzzzzzfe or whatever ivtec 4 banger, 2001 camry. guess they are like an 86mm bore with an 80mm piston in it and 6mm worth of oil control ring loosely flopping around in the bore which is why they like to eat oil.
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Tim

• Certified OG
Re: running corolla on 1qt of oil
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »

Damn I thought my truck was bad.  probably 15-20k on the oil but at least 2qt came out of the ol chevy.

It still runs decent aside from the fact the thing is rotting away and has so many electrical gremlins

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »

did the oil light ever come on? If it wasn't on, it had some oil pressure. Friend had an old cressida that had a terrible oil leak, and they ran it one day till the oil light came on. They just drove it home for a good 5 miles/15 minutes with the oil light staring them in the face the entire time. Crank it up now (with oil) and it knocks and taps, but still runs, and the oil is clean/no metal. But it sounds terrible.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

doesnt make unusual noises and oil light never came on - the qt must have been the bare minimum to keep like 5 psi in the engine most likely. fuckin piss poor luck - thank god its a toyota. though my bmw motor died for unrelated reasons despite never seeing more than 15psi of oil pressure for like a thousand miles. fucking cars.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »

I'd just run a weight higher than what it calls for and run it. If it's still running fine after a few weeks, it's probably fine. Maybe change the oil after a couple weeks and cut the filter open and have a looksee. If it looks good, I'd keep it.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »

Haha, I gave up on my CRX's old A6...oil light started to flicker when I stopped/turned quickly, drained what was left and there was only a quart maybe.  When it started needing more oil once every week or so, I stopped doing changes and just fed it oil.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »

doesnt make unusual noises and oil light never came on - the qt must have been the bare minimum to keep like 5 psi in the engine most likely. fuckin piss poor luck - thank god its a toyota.

Eh, you're entering into the dark era of Toyota.  I wouldn't be too assured everything is fine.

If it's an automatic, sell that shit quick before it falls out.  The trans for those are gold.

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »

If its a 1zz they are pretty durable, My pop uses those corollas for delivery cars at his work.  Fucking idiot delivery guys never check oil, never change it or maintain them.  We havent lost a motor in YEARS.  Run it till it dies, if ti does  burn it.

raiden571

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »

Haha, I gave up on my CRX's old A6...oil light started to flicker when I stopped/turned quickly, drained what was left and there was only a quart maybe.  When it started needing more oil once every week or so, I stopped doing changes and just fed it oil.
hellz ya, same here.  i gothru a qt every 1-2 weeks. oh well

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »

FWIW I've been searching google for "burning oil", "oil rings" , "stuck oil control rings" and I swear there were more threads on 98-2000 something corollas than RX7's... From what little I read, they start burning oil, get slightly worse over the next several thousand miles, then it goes to shit. Several things I read said "went from 1qt/3K miles to 1qt/200 miles!!!".

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »

When I bought this Integra, the oil pan was leaking so badly that the light was on every 20 min of drive after fulling it with oil.

Never seen a oil pan leaked like that before. Still handle 10psi of boost without smoke tho :P

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »

FWIW I've been searching google for "burning oil", "oil rings" , "stuck oil control rings" and I swear there were more threads on 98-2000 something corollas than RX7's... From what little I read, they start burning oil, get slightly worse over the next several thousand miles, then it goes to shit. Several things I read said "went from 1qt/3K miles to 1qt/200 miles!!!".

All 4 four of Corollas I've owned (before I got into EGs)  burned oil when I run the engines in prolong periods above 4k rpms.

But if your drive them and keep the rpms down, change the oil reg., use 10w40 or 15w-40 oil they did not burn any oil.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

it taps. selling it after my birthday and going back to DDing the bmw, ill never learn my lesson  :mexi:

ironcrx

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »

Never had oil issues like you guys.  Hope I never do.  But something tells me I will when I buy this '85 200sx next week  :?:

However I did own a 1987 Mercedes benz 300sdl (it was a turbo diesel)  I changed that oil once and it didnt come out.  It was so sludged up i has to put more in, run it, then drain the chunky goo that came out.  9 quarts later I stopped  :P
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:13:22 PM »

it taps. selling it after my birthday and going back to DDing the bmw, ill never learn my lesson  :mexi:

What lesson?  Don't drive a car 300 miles with no oil in it?

CSaddict

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »

My mother had a 94 Corolla with 260k on it with the original motor and tranny. Regular maintenance and timing belts. Thats it. It was sold running like a top and the kid is still driving it.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »

My mother had a 94 Corolla with 260k on it with the original motor and tranny. Regular maintenance and timing belts. Thats it. It was sold running like a top and the kid is still driving it.

Those were actually good cars, though.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »

So my stepdad said the corolla started knocking pretty good when cold 2 months ago and he hadnt gotten the oil changed in about 15,000 miles so he sold it to me for a grand and picked up a bmw
i finally got around to plating the corolla and driving it up to school (300 miles at 90mph), it did fine didnt hear any knocking just a lil valve train noise and the dipstick was filthy and didnt register any oil
changed the oil today and less than 1 qt came out and about 4.5 went in... there were no flakes in the oil, the engine purrs now with no noise... is this fucker going to be reliable or should I look to flip it in the next month? I couldnt believe how little oil came out, have never seen that before but I have heard of it. I cant believe that the bearings and valve train/cams are ok but I guess they might be. It's the 1zzzzzzzzzfe or whatever ivtec 4 banger, 2001 camry. guess they are like an 86mm bore with an 80mm piston in it and 6mm worth of oil control ring loosely flopping around in the bore which is why they like to eat oil.

So is it a corolla or camry? Big diff between a 1zz and a 5S.  If its a camry, junk it.  They rod knock even if you take care of them.  If its a corolla, sell it because it wont last either.

Post 2000 Toyota=Junk.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »

So is it a corolla or camry? Big diff between a 1zz and a 5S.  If its a camry, junk it.  They rod knock even if you take care of them.  If its a corolla, sell it because it wont last either.

Post 2000 Toyota=Junk.

If the rod knocking do not get you the gas pedal/DBW TB might. ;D

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »

Post 2000 Toyota=Junk.

i tried to tell my mom that before she bought a fucking toyoda minivan. i also know people who have had problems with the dealers not wanting to fix shit and insisting that said item is not really broken.

anyhow, you could try seafoam or atf in the oil any other marine type top end lube crap. sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt, in either case id still sell the fucker.

Phate

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:22 AM »

Post 2000 Toyota=Junk.

i tried to tell my mom that before she bought a fucking toyoda minivan. i also know people who have had problems with the dealers not wanting to fix shit and insisting that said item is not really broken.

Girlfriend's 2003 Highlander likes to throw codes a lot.  Take it to the dealership (its technically still her parents car), and $450 later they just turned off the check engine light without changing anything, and lied about what the codes were for (I had checked them earlier that day, lean burn condition on both banks, misfires on both banks).  The stability control also likes to stop working altogether which makes for awesome drifting in the snow/mud, but an annoying idiot light.  I'm going to do the tuneup that the dealer didn't actually do, and see if its any better.  Seafoam, new plugs, and a tank of premium.  Also installing an intake with open pod filter for the lulz.  She likes being able to scare other drivers by laying into it next to their cars.  Eventually a muffler that actually flows and is audible too.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15:05 AM »

this was the corrolla, the camry ran like a top but i sold it because i drove it nyc all the time and i got tagged about 9999 times and it was all dented up

the rolla is still running and getting 30mpg through winter abuse i just dont trust a car that was so low on oil so i will be selling it in march

statenis33

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »

when i had the a6 in mine, the oil light would STROBE.  i did exactly what you did.  i dont think i "changed" the oil in that thing for a year or more.  just kept top'n her off.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »

when i had the a6 in mine, the oil light would STROBE.  i did exactly what you did.  i dont think i "changed" the oil in that thing for a year or more.  just kept top'n her off.

We dont care.  Dont bump old threads.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

arsenio

• I have the word "CockHound" tattooed on my neck
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »

One time I didn't do an oil change on my car because it leaked at every joint and its sapose to burn oil.
I am currently banned for being a piece of shit.
Will you miss me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up