:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: car audio questions.  (Read 3110 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
car audio questions.
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »

im looking to set the CRX up with some new stereo equipment. looking for simple and effective. im not one for high notes, shit hurts my ears, but i do like bass. not looking to win competitions.

deck + 4speakers + amp/single sub.

what i have now is: 08crv deck, 2 pioneer 2ways (5.25's i think), 2 junk papers lol....and i have an old school Orion HCCA 225r amp i plan to run the sub.

obviously i dont wanna spend a ton, i need aux in for phone/zune to play music. subwoofer bass....

so yeah, suggestions? amp is good for like 400rms at 1ohm...shitload at .5ohm.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
Re: car audio questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »

I've always used Alpine decks but I just put a Sony in my gf's car she sniped it from work for $10 brand new cause it was a demo. I am pretty impressed with it for bottom of the line. Best value for speakers are Alpine type S, same for a subwoofer. I'm looking for a small sealed 10" for my DC. Gonna power it with a kicker 300.2 I paid $100 at boxing day a few years ago. After Alpine I like Pioneer's head units.
92GSR - mild interest

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:27 AM »

im looking at the Pioneer head units. i have always liked them. plus i know them already. Alpine bothered me cuz i hadnt used one in like 10+years.

head unit question:  do i need something with a dedicated subwoofer RCA? like a 3 RCA out 5v deck? or is really a 1 RCA out 2v deck just fine? i dont need or want all this stupid HD/Sirus/bluetooth/crap. just a AUX 3.5 on the front/back.

subwoofer:  was looking at Alpine Type-S (12" 2ohm DVC) subwoofer i think. looks like it might be close to what im thinking i need. im not sure i wanna spend more than 200bucks with a box. just a single 10/12.

what i found on my amp. need to verify the number on the amp tho. cant find the box.
its a cheater amp so its different to other amps
its 25wRMS x 2 at 4ohm
50wRMS x 2 @ 2 ohm
100wRMS x 2 @ 1 ohm
200wRMS x 2 @ .5 ohm
or
400wRMS x 1@2 ohm
600wRMS x 1 @ 1 ohm
800wRMS x 1 @ 0.5ohm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:56:23 AM by turbohf »
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

stealthiskey

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »

Just grabbed up one of the new pioneer units off crutchfield for like $220 last month for the civic.  It's alright but there's some things I don't like about it,

Display is too dim in daylight.  I think the dimmer wire on hondas might not work right, because it doesn't get any dimmer w headlights on.

They put a bigass display on it, but barely any of it is used, expect for playing the goofy animations.  The radio station/time information is compressed in some tiny little corner of the screen.

I also got a JVC unit for about halfprice.  It's one of the "digital media receivers" so no cd player (what's a cd anyway).  I havent driven with that one much, but for the price I'm pretty impressed with it.  Like the button layout/controls better.  And it appears brighter.  More relevant info on the display.

JVC seems pretty nice

NoPistons!

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »

As far as mids, JL, MBquart and polk are hard to beat.  I do like apline's mids too.Just get the cheapest ones money can buy and dont run an aux amp to them.  Just HU power.

For subs, Kicker Comp 12 (round, double yellow stitching, black cone) DVC 4 ohm or L5 12 DVC 4 ohm.  Dual voice coils allow you to choose how much power you want to draw from your amp with your sub.   

They're money but i'm really fond of the JL 10w3 and 12w3 are great middle of the road subs. 

Yeah.  JL, Kicker.  I'd be hard pressed to fuck with anything else unless it came from sundown, RE or Fi.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »

think this is the deck:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-150MP

then sub is one of these?
http://www.kicker.com/compvr  <~ might be little low on the rms watts.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sws-12d2/default 500w also it says.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

I love my jlw3's I got 2 12's in the teg and they pound like no other. Also running an older phoenix gold xs2500 to them. Sounds great. 99% of the music I listen to is rock, so I went with a sealed box so I get alot tighter bass. Dont care for the loose pussy floppy bass. As far as mids, im running so older rockfods 6.5" in the rear and they crank! way louder and clearer than any of the hi end Pioneers that Ive owned in the past (which I have in the front). As far as decks go, I like simple since I use a amp for my mid/hi's. So ive recently been tuned onto the Panasonic stuff. But its hard to beat the alpine hu. 
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »

If you're just gonna run some aftermarket speakers off the head unit, fine, but you shouldn't need anything more then a a good 10" with good amp going to it. Any good 12" sub is going to make your inside speakers sound like you're from Mexico (all base).

Remember, if your amp power is rated at 2 ohms, you're going to need a dual voice coil sub to achieve those power outputs.
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:39 AM »

thanks. i forget about that....

so, yeah 10" in a sealed box. if i keep the amp turned down i can run a TypeS, or just sack-up and get a TypeR. with a box shouldnt push my too far beyond my 200bucks.

amp seems to be able to run whatever i wanna run. that rated them at 4ohms, but that was bullshit cuz they where never meant to run that. they called them cheater amps.

i plan on running a single 2ohm DVC subwoofer....so around 600w?

maybe it should also be noted that i listen to all ranges of music. love rock, love to bump rap, even listen to pop shit. just depends on my mood.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »

You'll be disapointed with a type s. It was super quiet for 1 10

Go jl, kicker or Memphis.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

NoPistons!

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »

If you're just gonna run some aftermarket speakers off the head unit, fine, but you shouldn't need anything more then a a good 10" with good amp going to it. Any good 12" sub is going to make your inside speakers sound like you're from Mexico (all base).

Remember, if your amp power is rated at 2 ohms, you're going to need a dual voice coil sub to achieve those power outputs.

Those are fantastic opinions and theories.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

If ya build a sweet sounding engine w/ boost, who needs a stereo.  :noel:

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »

JVC decks are loaded for the price. i prefer the eq and sound on pioneers sucks the newer ones all look stupid

i got a almost new kenwood sitting it has pandora and 4v preouts n shit and bluetooth ill sell it to ya for 120 shipped.

if you want a serious sub for cheap my friend got a sundown in his car, things fuckin crazy for one 12" and there lowest model.

if you want cheap i got a audiopipe 10 in my beater just for some fill. it was $40 shipped and can take alot of power which is good or bad. seems good quality for the money. made in korea not china lol

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »

That HCCA is junk.  I'll toss you a few dollars just to do you a favor.

:P

1slow91hf

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »

for a single 10" sub run a ported box with this in it
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10453-e-10d2-sundown-audio-10-dual-2-ohm-e-series-subwoofer-e10d2.aspx

alpine headunit with their KTP-445 add on amplifier

orion Xtr coaxial speakers sound damn good for the money
boost-booze-boobies, what more to life is there?

NoPistons!

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »

I dig that 10.  400w rms on that in a sealed box would be the shit.  I mean that's if you like to crank your shit up and not hear it rattle inside the car like this guy.... I know he can hear that shit rattling.....
1 Sundown SA-12 in action

Whenever my buddy gets off his ass and rewires his amp, his 2 shitty 12's will make his ek rattle that bad.  Shit's gross.  That's not slang, i really mean gross.

One Sundown Audio SA8 playing BME Click by Lil John.

Seeing ONE 8" sub do this is pretty gnar.  You know the saying.  Not the size of the boat......

Sundown has their shit together.  It's just tard in the first video shoulda bought a tahoe.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »

One Sundown Audio SA8 playing BME Click by Lil John.

Seeing ONE 8" sub do this is pretty gnar.  You know the saying.  Not the size of the boat......

Sundown has their shit together.  It's just tard in the first video shoulda bought a tahoe.

That is a buddy of mine. He's a sundown dealer. If you want SD equipment let me know and I'll get you in touch with him. He can usually beat any price you will find online.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »

MBquart are hard to beat.

As long as we are talking the old german made stuff fuck yes!!! the new china junk from maxxsonics fuck that. The old mbquart boys are back at it under germanmaestro though. I have enough mb quart old stock to last me a lifetime. I run them in my superduty, 6.5 components in the front doors, 5.25 in the rear doors, 3 jbl 10", pheniox gold 4x100 for the components and a 1200x1 for the subs. works good for a truck, used to have a three way 6.5 5.25 and tweeters in the front but I hated the big kick panels taking up my floor space.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif
Pages: [1]   Go Up