:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats wrong with my laptop?  (Read 4189 times)

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
Whats wrong with my laptop?
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »

Ok it died on me, while it was plugged into the wall. tried changing outlets, no go. bought a new power cord, still didnt work. battery is completely dead. geek squad wants 185 just to back my shit up. and another 85 just to look at it. im thinking about taking it to a local computer shop to see if they can fix it. if i cant get it fixed then im probably gunna go to aarons and rent to own a decent desktop.
Word of advice - Don'#39#39t ever cough while taking a piss.

<ltlta href="quotquothttp://www.giffies.com/viewgif/514/amateur-red.html"quotquot TITLE="quotquotClick to Play Amateur Red"quotquot TARGET="quotquot_blank"quotquot>gtgtClick to Play!<ltlt/a>gtgt

jay

Re: Whats wrong with my laptop?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »

Ok it died on me, while it was plugged into the wall. tried changing outlets, no go. bought a new power cord, still didnt work. battery is completely dead. geek squad wants 185 just to back my shit up. and another 85 just to look at it. im thinking about taking it to a local computer shop to see if they can fix it. if i cant get it fixed then im probably gunna go to aarons and rent to own a decent desktop.

build your own desktop! perfect time to build your own fuck prebuilt desktops unless you are getting them cheap!!!

problem might be the power jack inside the laptop not allowing power in.. someone might have tripped on the wire and fucked it up..

look for someone else with the same laptop to swap fully charged batteries and go from there..

you can buy a caddy to plug in your laptops hd and then connect it to your desktop

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »

I dont have the money up front for a computer. thats why im looking at aarons to get one. i can get it for probably 30 or 40 bucks a month for the rest of my life. and i dont know anybody with the same laptop as me.

<ltlta href="quotquothttp://www.giffies.com/viewgif/514/amateur-red.html"quotquot TITLE="quotquotClick to Play Amateur Red"quotquot TARGET="quotquot_blank"quotquot>gtgtClick to Play!<ltlt/a>gtgt

jay

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »

what model laptop

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »

Its a gateway m 1617.

SgtB

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »

Does the charger socket in the laptop have a lot of play to it?

jay

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

here is the power jack that im telling you about

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-M-1617-M-1618-Motherboard-DC-Power-Jack-43_W0QQitemZ310167542251QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48376d19eb

yeah just search cl and see if you can find another laptop like yours and then just swap hard drives lol

I want you to die

jay

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »

my laptop had 0 play in it and the jack was still fucked..

I want you to die

SgtB

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 11:23:13 PM »

my laptop had 0 play in it and the jack was still fucked..

I was getting at the fact that most of the laptops I repair are bad charger jacks. Usually the solder breaks on the board from the plug being pressed against all the time. I usually just pull it apart, and re-wet all the joints. Rarely is the jack damaged, but I have seen it. Those are usually from hard drops though,not gradual wear. the solder tends to e the failure point.

SgtB

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »

That jack is a POS design. I cant believe the case doesn't tie into the base plastic with tabs.

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:35 AM »

those are notorious for that, same with some e machine,acer,  etc all the same companys , they should have some kind of slide lock connection like a cell phone battery or somthin

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »

I cant look at the link on my phone, how much is it, and how hard is it to install? i suck at soldering so maybe this isnt something i should try by myself. im not computer savvy by any means.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:42:26 PM »

I cant look at the link on my phone, how much is it, and how hard is it to install? i suck at soldering so maybe this isnt something i should try by myself. im not computer savvy by any means.
its more of a 'can work with little tiny screws and parts' type of savy.
I replaced the jack on both my and my moms old HPpavillion zx5000's.  A quick google search produced a step by step pdf write-up on how to tear into it without breaking shit.  The only hard part was getting the motherboard hot enough to flow the solder properly, the computer shop we paid to originally fix it just made it worse with cold ass solder joints.  I actually didn't replace a single piece, just fixed the cracked solder on one, and the cracked cold solder joint on the other.

Also clean out all of the cooling fans and ducts while you're in there.  Older laptops usually are plugged up and overheat the laptop.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:44:17 PM by Tim »

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »

Get the part and take it to a local tv/pc repair person.  Have the board out and ready and they will probably only charge you a few bucks.

Don't rent-to-own a desktop.  If you have decent credit score, built one from Newegg and get their credit.  I'd even help you pick out parts.

On the lower end you can usually get a Dell for slightly cheaper, but not always, and when you buy low end shit you get low end components that will die and/or not be upgradeable.

97Econobox

• Certified OG
  • Some may never live, but the crazy never die
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »

Get the part and take it to a local tv/pc repair person.  Have the board out and ready and they will probably only charge you a few bucks.

Don't rent-to-own a desktop.  If you have decent credit score, built one from Newegg and get their credit.  I'd even help you pick out parts.

On the lower end you can usually get a Dell for slightly cheaper, but not always, and when you buy low end shit you get low end components that will die and/or not be upgradeable.

Since 2005 Dell started using china shit for their caps and resistors.  we toss like one out a day at abotu 6 years old dude to popped caps.  they ooze Orange shit and wont stay powered up for more than like 5 minutes.

I wouldnt own a Dell unless it was to sell it and buy something else.

i ate your mom'#39#39s dick last night :?:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/nacvicsi/Untitled.gif

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »

Haha, I believe it.  Honestly, I've never owned one so am assuming they're shit, but common sense will tell you that as cheap as their PCs are, even with the volume that they buy parts they would only be able to make a decent profit by cutting corners on quality.  Their computers only have to last until the warranty runs out so people can buy another one :P  I would mention all the BS software (Dell malware) bullshit they load on there from the factory, but that is easily cleaned off with a fresh format...

My Gigabyte mobo proudly advertises (on the box, the bios splash screen, etc) that it uses Japanese components.

stealthiskey

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 02:04:33 AM »

lol commercial parts aren't reliable.  regardless where they are from.  as long as dell keeps backing up their warranties I have no problem with them.  Mine has actually fared better than most HPs, acers, emachines I know of

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:14 AM »

Mine has actually fared better than most HPs, acers, emachines I know of

Lol, that isn't saying much.  I did the best on the high jump event at the special olympics

And you're right, any country can built shit or quality, just like you can grow dank herb in Antarctica, but more times than not you will get better quality electronics from Japan than stuff made by children from materials gathered by the spawn of e-waste scavaging parents.

The volume, cheap pc producers use cheap components.  Fact.

Build your own for cheaper, better parts, no pre-installed malware, and yes the parts still come with a warranty :P. My 7 yr old built PC still runs as well as a 7 yr old pc can, and i gave it away over a year ago.

Bottom line is I don't want to bother with warranty work (and haven't had to yet).  Last job was dealing with Dells and while most of them ran fine, there were a lot with issues and dealing with Dell's warranty replacement program (Even on the government contract "enterprise" level support) was a complete pain in the ass.  The fact that they distribute Lexmark sums up their idea of quality :P

RotaryGeek

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »

Well turns out it was the power cord. Guys at this local computer shop fixed me up good with a cord for only 60 instead of walmart and best buys 90. So im back online now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up