:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dyno Cell  (Read 4391 times)

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Dyno Cell
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »

I'm looking into building an enclosure, primarily to direct airflow and keep monkeys from kicking electrical connections, secondarily to contain noise.

Anyone have any practical experience with air flow or sound deadening?  For the former I'm visualizing a couple squirrel cages pulling from a sheet metal exhaust trap, and a spare accordion vent hose for "interesting" exhaust configurations. 

slappynuts

Re: Dyno Cell
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »

When apartment buildings are built they offset 2/4 studs on a 2/6 plate and then weave fiberglass between the studs. As far as ventilation goes,maybe restaurant exhaust fan? Obviously direct exhaust outlet as well.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

I was also considering a cinder block enclosure with some sort of filling to dampen vibrations.  National Speed has a purpose built dyno *bay* with plenty of room to move around in that I'm (currently) modeling this notion off of.

Most of the dyno cells I've seen are more like modular food service freezers.  LOL

TurboVFR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »

The last place I worked that had a dyno room had two enormous mufflers on the outside of the back of the shop, had to build them off course, they even had stack flaps to keep out the rain. Used 6" pipe to feed them I believe and those were wrapped in that soundproof ducting. The big floppy donkey dick stuff, not the kind that recoils. ill be dipped if i can remember what kinda positive draw/fan setup they had going..

Had sweet checkerboard floor though, and a 4'x4' steel wire lattice over top of the engine coupling so you could hang multiple sets of electronics and testing on more than one EMS at a time with just the swap of a few connections.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

Pics, or you have failed me, Bubba.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »

Cinder blocks filled with something, inner wall with insulation behind it or acoustic material, then fans. I'd think negative pressure would let you use big axial fans they cool barns with. The prob with squirrel cages is they usually aren't designed for suction/negative pressure. If there's a restriction on the intake, it can overheat the motor. With that in mind, you'd want baffled vents leading from the shop into the enclosure.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »

You want air coming in, there'd be no negative pressure and the exhaust would be directed at the fans intake.

TurboVFR

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

Pics, or you have failed me, Bubba.

Its Quest Engineering right in Arden, I don't know about pictures, I may be able to swing through and snap a few, just when the owner isn't there and we're good.

catsman50

• perpetual noob
  • im a terrorist
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »

USE PILLOW PETSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUCK VOLKSWAGEN'#039#039S

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:31 AM »

How much power can your dyno read?  Isn't an engine's exhaust gas volume around 2.5x's intake air volume?  I think you can look up specs. on how many cfm a squirrel cage can move...  So, I'm gonna assume you could narrow down your fan selection/dimensions that way. 

Find a building, that someone is ripping a drop ceiling out of(grocery store being refurbed), n grab the tiles from the big dumpster.  Break them up n drop them inside the voids in your block wall.   :-\

Making pulls with the doors cracked n then closing/opening getting annoying?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:14:14 AM by Foowee »

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

Yeah, annoying.

Dyno hooks 1800whp with some load applied across the brake.  We have the DynoCOM power record at 2441, no load and rolling into the throttle to sidestep wheelspin.

I never thought of drop ceiling as an acoustic barrier, but it makes sense.  Could layer it between drywall as well.  Sweeeet.

rsmith2786

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »

At work we have about 20 dyno cells.  They're all just concrete block walls with thick steel doors.  The rooms are slightly pressurized to keep all exhaust flowing out the stack.  I'm amazed how quiet a high speed 300L engine is just a few feet away.  Water dynos each capable of well over 5000 hp with engines putting out close to 30,000 ftlbs.

'

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »

I hate you

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Block the walls and fill voids with shredded newspaper insulation very loose.

TurboVFR

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »

Blocks are heavy and require much labor, stick frame that shit, nail up some ply and hang egg-crate foam. Been working for make-shift recording studios forEVEAARRR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up