:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know hot tub heaters?  (Read 1610 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
Anyone know hot tub heaters?
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »

I have this hot tub heater

When I decided to use it for the first time this year it wouldnt light off. I just get a buzzing sound from this

I dont remember if it did that when it was working or not. I did a little poking around with a multi-meter and it seems that the ignition control box doesn't work. It's a $350 part so I want to make sure before I spend that much money.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

CSaddict

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: Anyone know hot tub heaters?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »

Is the Ignitor spark or glow? does it spark or glow? Does it have a pilot and then a main burner? Have you tried to light it again? It may need to bleed out air. The buzz is from no flame.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »

I think it sparks cause there is always a "tick" sound right before it lights off. I'm not sure though. I tried to light it manually(from far away with a stick) with no luck. That box also seem to activate the gas valve from looking at the wiring. The gas valve wasn't getting any power which is what makes me think it's that ignition box. I'll check the ignitor tomorrow for spark or glow.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »

look for sparking or glowing, if you find it, smell for gas near it where a gas line would make gas smells and fire.  some times if the line was shut theres alot of air like he said bleed the air out, some times just keep lighting it will do it

if it has a standing pilot (always lit) it may need to be re-lit

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »

I got a hold of the troubleshooting guide from the manufacturer. Went through all of the steps and it pointed to the ignition controller. Opened it up and found a bad capacitor, changed it and it exploded instantly, thinking I put it in backwards I put another one in the other way. Got about 20 seconds and popped the second one. Then I gave up and started searching eBay for a cheaper one.
obd1>gtgtall

CSaddict

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »

By the look of the wires its carborundum ignition. Which is a glow ignitor. The tick you hear is the solenoid opening on the gas valve. The control is similar to the ones I use at work and shouldn't be hard to find.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

CSaddict

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »

I would check to see if the gas valve solenoid isnt shorted to ground before buying a new one. Also check to see if a mouse ate wires or you have chaffed or grounds wires.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »

all of the wiring looks good, i originally thought the gas valve was bad. ill check that out next chance i get. the controller isnt hard to find at all, but its expensive. its so simple inside, i dont see why it costs $350. i found one on ebay for $90, but i dont want to put it on just to have the same thing happen. i definitely want to do more research on the matter
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: [1]   Go Up