:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY car painting?  (Read 2725 times)

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
DIY car painting?
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »

Anyone know of any good sites or advice for how to properly paint a car?  I've got a gun but that is all:

88dx

• Certified OG
Re: DIY car painting?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »

Prep is everything. What kind of car you painting? Dose it need a lot of body work?

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »

Prep is everything. What kind of car you painting? Dose it need a lot of body work?

My 287k mile DD Oldsmobile:

Hit a deer.  Got new door and fender.  Not looking for a show quality job but looking to learn something.  Hopefully this is a step towards avoiding body shops...

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

try this link: http://www.autobody101.com/   ;D

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

try this link: http://www.autobody101.com/   ;D

All those sites are just trying to sell you something.  Looking for the HMT of car painting...

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »

That thing looks perfect for a daily  :yes: Are you just going to paint the new fender and door?
I painted the front end of my EG, just sand everything well with 400grit, and make sure to let it flash off good between coats, esp on the clear coat or ull get runs

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »

The real HMT of car painting is the roll-on rustolium from a can DIY. I think the old site had a link, and with some time the people swore it came out tits. The only down side, you can't color-match any existing panels, let alone get a custom color.

I know a few people who have created a paint booth out of their garage and used a decent hvlp gun. But as everyone has stated thus far, prep is #1, final wetsand is #2.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »

i'm interested in this information also. I have a car in need of some work, and doing a diy paint job sounds about right.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:48:25 PM »

The real HMT of car painting is the roll-on rustolium from a can DIY. I think the old site had a link, and with some time the people swore it came out tits. The only down side, you can't color-match any existing panels, let alone get a custom color.

I know a few people who have created a paint booth out of their garage and used a decent hvlp gun. But as everyone has stated thus far, prep is #1, final wetsand is #2.

you can do rustoleum through a gun just fine you only need to use it diluted like 40% because of how thick it is
40% is way too thin. it will drip all over the fucking place. if you are rolling it on then 40% might work.
when i sprayed my wife's car we ended up with a 25% mix. that worked the best
you're just saying that because you couldn't afford the extra 15%
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 12:38:15 AM »

From what little I know, I'd:

tape off all the shit
scuff sand with 360 to 400
wipe down with wax and grease remover
get a real fine mist setting with the gun and do a light tack coat
however many mist coats you do, finish with a wet coat with even strokes.

You're white, you'll figure it out.
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:39:49 AM »

you can do rustoleum through a gun just fine you only need to use it diluted like 40% because of how thick it is
40% is way too thin. it will drip all over the fucking place. if you are rolling it on then 40% might work.
when i sprayed my wife's car we ended up with a 25% mix. that worked the best
you're just saying that because you couldn't afford the extra 15%
haha +1

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 02:53:02 AM »

hahahahaha dollar store insults
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

Hotrodlincoln

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 02:54:31 AM »

If the new panles you have are in good shape and need no body work, all youll need is a couple pieces of 400 grit wet dry, 1 red scotch brite,  wax and grease remover, a roll of 3/4" and 2" masking tape, masking paper or newspaper, a 3$ plastic drop cloth, the base coat and the clear coat.
First scotch brite the door jam of the new door(assuming its a different color than the rest of the car.) tape it off and paint it. this will be practice for the outside of it.
Next prep the outside of the car. If it was me I would blend onto the rear door and the hood for a good color match,(very little extra work and not much more in materials)
You will find the paint code in the glove box or on a sticker under the spare tire cover. should read:  bc cc    WA####
Once you get the car sanded and taped off, you can start spraying. Start by spraying 2 to 3  medium coats on the new panles to get it up to color, then spray 2 to 3 fog/mist coats blending out to the adjacent panles to make an even blend. You dont  want to spray to the very edge of the good panles as this will ruin the blend and might show color diffence. Let your base dry about 10 min between coats( if the air temp is 70 or above) If air temp is lower let flash longer. let the base dry for about 20 min then spray clear coat. 2 to 3 coats is suuficiant, let flash 10 to 15 min between coats. then youre done. let cure 24 hours then if you want you can color sand and buff.
good luck, shouldnt take more than a weekend i would imagine
kill yourself piss face

theidealone

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:56 AM »

^Youre making shit too difficult. No need to blend the hood. Hoods and roofs will be the hardest panel for him to paint anyways. If he was painting the hood, yea, blend the fenders, but vice versa, no need. I would agree on blending the rear door, but as you never mentioned a blending agent, 800 grit, or grey scotch brite, I would recommend him doing so by your instruction. The rest sounds fine.

If you can get a DA sander, that will make life easier. Find some 6" discs of 320 and 400, finish with 400. Feather out any chips or scratches in the new panels, scuff any shiny spots out with the red scotch, etc.

Sounds like everything else was covered. Good luck. Its an Oldsmobile, so I wouldnt try too hard. :)

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »

The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

just scuff everything with a gray scuff pad, and prime any bare metal or filler.

spray away :)
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »

I can't find it right now, but did anyone ever see that Corvair with the roll on paint job, with a single blue stripe? It was sexy as fuck. I think he actually won a couple of local show trophies.
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up