:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z6 head sat for a year or two... is it still good  (Read 18059 times)

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
z6 head sat for a year or two... is it still good
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »

bought a z6 head off a friend that was going to use it for a mini me but instead he just held on to it for a couple years. he said the motor it came off of was blown. but i was just wondering if the head is still ok since it sat for a few years (in a garage).
stock b20-vtec + 342hp 247wtq = NO TRACTION

chris

Re: z6 head sat for a year or two... is it still good
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »

Unless someone was peeing/taking dumps on it and hitting it with a hammer the worst thing is it can have is a little surface rust which will take 20 minutes to clean or just let the motor do it in 12 seconds flat

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

well i might have sprayed a little diarrhea on it....just playin thanks for the info  :D

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »

all my motors sat a year or so some in a barn with birds uncovered, some wrapped in plastic in a crate.  Five minutes at the carwash makes them all look the same.  All the damage on mine were the reasons they ended up in storage, none from sitting around

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »

ok sounds cool  :noel:

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »

SENT ;)

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »

It's junk.  Send it to 2007 Greenup Covington, KY 41014.  Actually, never mind I got's a D head w/B size ports on it's way...  Send it to Dmc instead...
Hey I offered to help pay for it for your useage, I want to see a install thread of such mentionings

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

Pics will be taken and posted.  You'll get your shoutout too. 

MantisX

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »

I have heard stories of entire engines sitting uncovered out in the rain. They dump the water out, put in some fresh plugs and fire it right up.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

I have heard stories of entire engines sitting uncovered out in the rain. They dump the water out, put in some fresh plugs and fire it right up.
My teg sat with no front clip under a car cover without spark plugs for a while before I bought it.  Dumbass thought the cover was waterproof but I had to dump oil in the cylinders and crack it with a breaker bar before it would rotate, seized solid.  Oily watery mess shot out of the spark plug holes once I cranked it.  It ran great for a few thousand boosted miles, compression wasn't perfect though.

Once I broke the pistons and tore it down I noticed there was a rust pitted ring around the cylinders where the pistons were sitting that didn't hone out.

I've heard those stories too, but water and time is evil to anything steel, maybe if the cylinders were protected and the crank case fills with water sure everything is coated with oil and mostly protected.  But get it in certain areas and let it sit will fuck shit up.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »

yea water will destroy pretty much anything metal. i cant believe your motor still ran after sitting with water and rusting the cylinders. so it didnt even smoke? :noel:

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »

It smoked when I shifted but it was first turbo, first time tuning, first honda, a lot of other fucked up shit/mistakes.  No clue what all the reasons were I just know it still ran pretty damn good til I blew it.  It was only like 3/8" tall ring around the bore about half way down.

This was before I cleaned the right too cylinders better so their exaggerated, but you can see the honing grit really stuck in a nice little ring of pitting.  It showed up real well in # 3, but I remember #1 was the worse.

d-rail

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 02:44:58 AM »

Theirs some good news
Pages: [1]   Go Up