:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 09' Accord Short Shifter  (Read 9692 times)

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
09' Accord Short Shifter
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »

My car shifted like a fucking Accord so that had to change.  I ordered another shifter assembly (only $42.00) so I can keep the stock one in case I need waranty work since the car only has 2,400 miles.  Stock shift assembly:

Gutted:

Sawed, drilled and tapped:

Nice and machined:

Nice and welded:

Trenched shift tower for clearance becuase cable hit the bottom:

Finished product:

That is all.  Now take a step back and literally fuck your own face.

good-day.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
Re: 09' Accord Short Shifter
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »

I'm sorry but who are you?  :P
92GSR - mild interest

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

Your joking but I seriously have no idea who you are. 

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »

Your joking but I seriously have no idea who you are. 
:'( I have always dreamed of us getting together and driving into the sunset towing banshees behind our sn95's. But you have crushed that dream.
92GSR - mild interest

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »

:'( I have always dreamed of us getting together and driving into the sunset towing banshees behind our sn95's. But you have crushed that dream.

Did you change your screen name?

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »

Did you change your screen name?
Yes  ;D turboEF9
92GSR - mild interest

Ravage70

• Certified OG
  • The Hotrex foot. Stiletto ready!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

thats short?
Was it rally tall to begin with?

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »

thats short?
he didn't change anything to the part of the shifter you see really.
He lengthened the part below the pivot so the throw of the shifter is shorter.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:23:18 PM »

thats short?

Ricers chop shifter to bury the knob
Racers change pivot ratio's

The height of the shifter stays exactly the same but I cut the throw length in half down to 2 inches from first to second.

caged

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »

quality job there!!
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »

way too much work imo, all you got to do is put some washers around the bottom of the ball and loosely stick it in a vice and start pounding on the end with a mallet. check for clearance and your good to go, none of this $5,000,000 6axis bridgeport mill shit

i do it on toyota shifters all the time, cept they have a metal pivot ball that you just hit with a torch and then start pounding.that plastic ball probably moves super easy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:54:57 PM by t_cel_t »
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »

mmmm bridgeport

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »

I've done similar stuff to b/d shifters. Just cut & reweld farther away from the ball, and move backwards so the shifter is closer to your body. I'd have recommended welding at an angle to angle the lever it back as well, since all Hondas are designed for midgets who sit ahead of the shifter.

Funny how the person "whitey bends" were named for is now using all this baller shit. I'd bet that's all 321 stainless, welded with some dynasty 700. :mexi:
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »

way too much work imo, all you got to do is put some washers around the bottom of the ball and loosely stick it in a vice and start pounding on the end with a mallet. check for clearance and your good to go, none of this $5,000,000 6axis bridgeport mill shit

i do it on toyota shifters all the time, cept they have a metal pivot ball that you just hit with a torch and then start pounding.that plastic ball probably moves super easy

Lol, Bridgeports are like $5,000.   I could have put it on a 9-Axis Okuma mill turn that is over a $1,000,000.   ;D  And I have no problem drilling a tapping a hole instead of taking a hammer to a piece of plastic and risk breaking it then I'm SOL.  And plus this way its adjustable.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »

That is a strange looking slitting saw arbor. Also, strange mill, I can't see the ways on the machine?

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »

And I have no problem drilling a tapping a hole instead of taking a hammer to a piece of plastic and risk breaking it

isn't this the deffinition of why jb weld was invented?

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

That is a strange looking slitting saw arbor. Also, strange mill, I can't see the ways on the machine?

Lol, its a normal, run of the mill bridgeport.   ???

isn't this the deffinition of why jb weld was invented?

So I'll spend more time gluing broken pieces together instead of doing it the right way the first time.  :-\ Everything doesn't need to be nigger rigged...

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »

Lol, its a normal, run of the mill bridgeport.   ???

Ah right, bridgeports have the really weird knee/main casting design that while giving you tons of travel in the Z plane, doesn't allow for the spindle to get anywhere close to the table.  :?:
I was confused from your picture because you have both a riser plate and a long arbor which would on virtually all other machines have the knee sitting low enough to expose the Z axis ways.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »

Ah right, bridgeports have the really weird knee/main casting design that while giving you tons of travel in the Z plane, doesn't allow for the spindle to get anywhere close to the table.  :?:
I was confused from your picture because you have both a riser plate and a long arbor which would on virtually all other machines have the knee sitting low enough to expose the Z axis ways.

That casting can be removed and you can mill right through the table if you want.   ;)  Fixturing for this was a pain in the ass becuase of the bending of the shifter so I could just put it on V blocks and go to town.  So I bolted two 90 plates together, put the shifter through the hole of the plate.  And I used the long arbor becuase that was the first one I found.   :-\

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »

So that portion of the casting is just a riser block?

Last time I ran a real bridgeport was at least 7-8 years ago, run many of the other style universal mills but never recall seeing one with riser block for the column, the excello I have here doesn't either. Its funny with the bridgeport brand being the most popular for those style of mills I haven't even come across one since I used when way back than, just about all of my friends are in manufacturing and no one seems to have one, I wonder if they weren't quite as popular in Canada, I remember seeing more bridgeport brand mills when I lived in the states.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 10:55:41 PM »

Last time I ran a real bridgeport was at least 7-8 years ago, run many of the other style universal mills but never recall seeing one with riser block for the column, the excello I have here doesn't either. Its funny with the bridgeport brand being the most popular for those style of mills I haven't even come across one since I used when way back than, just about all of my friends are in manufacturing and no one seems to have one, I wonder if they weren't quite as popular in Canada, I remember seeing more bridgeport brand mills when I lived in the states.

Yeah its just the riser block.  We have about 10 of these Bridgeports in house. 

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »

Yeah its just the riser block.  We have about 10 of these Bridgeports in house. 

What do you guys make there? I assume with an Okuma Mill/Turn you are manufacturing your own product? Or do you do any jobbing as well?

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »

What do you guys make there? I assume with an Okuma Mill/Turn you are manufacturing your own product? Or do you do any jobbing as well?

Seal housings, mainly for jet engines.  Circumferential seals, face seals and all other shit. We design, manufacture and test everything in house.  So yeah we manufacture our own products as well as others, but we're not a job shop. 

We work with some nasty materials and hold some insane tolerances  We even have a whole department set up for just machining carbon.  We probably have about 100 Okuma's in house...VTM's, Multus, Macturn's and everything in the middle.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »

Geez, I didn't realize your shop was that big, definitely a bit large for jobbing, lol.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »

Geez, I didn't realize your shop was that big, definitely a bit large for jobbing, lol.

I used to work at a job shop with 2 Flow waterjets (3 and 5-axis) 3 HAAS mills (VF-4, VF-6 SS and a hoizontal...forget which one exactly now) and a Flow 5-axis router.  Thats back when I used to do CNC programming

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

I used to work at a job shop with 2 Flow waterjets (3 and 5-axis) 3 HAAS mills (VF-4, VF-6 SS and a hoizontal...forget which one exactly now) and a Flow 5-axis router.  Thats back when I used to do CNC programming

Yeah that is definitely the scale I am more familiar with. So you just do drawings/design/engineering now?

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »

Yeah that is definitely the scale I am more familiar with. So you just do drawings/design/engineering now?

I also build and fabricate the machines I design from control wiring to machining components.  The only programming I do now is on PLC programs for one off machines.  I definitely like it better then running toolpaths all day.   At my company now the supervisors are the CNC programmers.  I guess its the best way to avoid all the fingerpointing when a tool gets buried in a subspindle  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up