:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: who does Autocross? What suspension?  (Read 12041 times)

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
Re: who does Autocross? What suspension?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

i have 600 lb rear springs in the eg and i sure as hell wouldn't call the ride smooth, even with the koni yellows on full soft.  especially with the roads around here

Haha.  Not to be mean, sir, but there's a bit of a quality difference between the Honda a 45 year old man who's a BMW driving instructor drives and what somebody off a lowrent trash site like ours drives.   Your car is fun, his is too but he's spent a lot more money on it.

you trying to say the rust holes don't make my car go faster?

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

Not at all.  I'm just saying the rich man's ride is smoooooth as Spiker's babyfat ass.  After you shave it and run in some cocoa butter, of course.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 01:35:24 AM »

Ebay coilovers + Illuminas + 22mm rear sway = drifting ED3. Man that was fun.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »

Buying a sorted car is worth it........

http://www.sccatimetrials.org/results/2005/20051015reg.php

Not only did it do Time Trials (open track) but also did SCCA Autox Nationals and placed VERY well.

I've detuned the car to full soft on the Koni's and ST rear sway bar. On sticky street Dunlop SP Sport 8000's, slightest trail braking and the rear wants to step out, but very controllable with throttle inputs. H&R springs, dunno if they are the race ones, but fairly stiff. I'd say 350-400F, 250-300R.

Car is more capable than me right now....and thats without the sticky Hoosier A6's I have.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:28 AM »

Car is more capable than me right now

I know the feeling.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »

Not at all.  I'm just saying the rich man's ride is smoooooth as Spiker's babyfat ass.  After you shave it and run in some cocoa butter, of course.

much of that comes from decent high speed damping- something almost every <$2000 coilover completely ignores. like you said, stiffer isn't necessarily better- especially when you can control roll with the bars. when you start getting too stiff, the car is very difficult to settle over bumps. nothing changes the color of your underwear faster than hitting a bump and having the car instantaneously jump about 2 feet toward the outside of the turn before it plants itself again.

KYB AGXs are the absolute worst shock for high speed damping. people who run those obviously like their internal organs shaken, not stirred.

wanna get crazy? run hydraulic weight jackers at each corner with a 2-axis accelerometer controlling the pump/ pressure as the car pitches and rolls to keep it perfectly flat (and effectively control the camber curve of the suspension), while keeping ultra-soft spring rates to generate mechanical grip. that's pretty much how the active suspension systems in the lotus and williams F1 cars worked. although, they had the added aero advantage that comes with keeping the car flat relative to the ground.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

I bet one of the electric diesel pumps would handle light oil (what diesel is) as well as be expressly designed for variable voltage (or just PWM, everything can handle that) duty.

MAJORAHOLE

• fuckin C-unt
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

I bet one of the electric diesel pumps would handle light oil (what diesel is) as well as be expressly designed for variable voltage (or just PWM, everything can handle that) duty.
you said duty....

i guess i will just sell my springs on honda-tech to some douche, and start over.
probably will be getting another civic here anyway, hopefully hatchback, and i can start new.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

Quote from: JD

jesus, why didn't i think of that? i never even considered a diesel fuel pump. i'd think just running a single pump with an accumulator and maybe an ABS valve assembly to each corner might work. a friend and i are in the process of designing a scratch built tube frame middy to run in STR1 and STR2, with full aero and an LMP type body. he loves the idea of active suspension, but the implementation of it seemed cumbersome at the time. might be time to reconsider it..

just be glad you're not stuck with mcfailson struts at all 4 corners :D

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »

an ABS valve assembly to each corner

And why didn't I think of that?

Thank you for existing, Mr. G.  Looks like stability control just boiled down to some random junkyard bits and $35 in electronics plus coding.

SgtB

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »

No shit... Poor mans ESC!  I've been trying to do fuel cut off of abs sensors.

Phate

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »

This thread just got so awesome for my techno-geek ass.

No shit... Poor mans ESC!  I've been trying to do fuel cut off of abs sensors.

I like this idea.  A lot.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »

an ABS valve assembly to each corner

And why didn't I think of that?

Thank you for existing, Mr. G.  Looks like stability control just boiled down to some random junkyard bits and $35 in electronics plus coding.

mid 90 and new 6.5 turbo diesel gms have an electric fuel pump under the driver's side frame rail that are the canister style and only cost like 80 new from advance.  ask me how i know....

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »

Freescale low-G accelerometer sensors are cheap, assuming you don't need digital outputs. They work with the most basic circuit if required - voltage in, ground, and output.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Phate

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 01:19:53 AM »

Freescale low-G accelerometer sensors are cheap, assuming you don't need digital outputs. They work with the most basic circuit if required - voltage in, ground, and output.

So assuming the car is going to be racing on a generally smooth surface, you could use a couple of accelerometers on the main axes of movement (fore-aft, left-right), and some controls to pump up the shocks on the outside to stiffen the car and decrease roll.  Could also be done to reduce front end dive under braking.  Likely not much more of a clusterfuck of hydraulic lines than a stock ABS system is.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:45:14 AM by Phate »

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »

I'm glad I checked this thread again.  Cool ideas.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »

So assuming the car is going to be racing on a generally smooth surface, you could use a couple of accelerometers on the main axes of movement (fore-aft, left-right), and some controls to pump up the shocks on the outside to stiffen the car and decrease roll.  Could also be done to reduce front end dive under braking.  Likely not much more of a clusterfuck of hydraulic lines than a stock ABS system is.

and squat under accel. that's a HUGE advantage under braking, since you no longer have added camber from compression making the car try to brake on the insides of the tires. it's generally a much better way to manage the contact patch, while keeping the car soft enough to work over even the worst bumps.

also,
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=847

$29 dual axis accelerometer breakout board good to +/- 5g with analog voltage output proportional to acceleration.

Phate

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 12:59:57 AM »

and squat under accel. that's a HUGE advantage under braking, since you no longer have added camber from compression making the car try to brake on the insides of the tires. it's generally a much better way to manage the contact patch, while keeping the car soft enough to work over even the worst bumps.

also,
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=847

$29 dual axis accelerometer breakout board good to +/- 5g with analog voltage output proportional to acceleration.

Damn.  I'm achiving this thread for myself.  This could be a cool as hell use for my "capstone project" I have to do my senior year of college.  "What did you do?"  "active suspension system for my car.  Makes a honda accord handle like a corvette, while riding smoothly.  *borat voice* Is NIIIIIIIICCCE!"

Or at least research the feasibility of it.  Something like this, thrown into a prelude with 4WS and ATTS, could make for a car cabable of some scary, scary things in the corners.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:12:38 AM by Phate »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up