:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: got a car dumped off to me to fix, not having any luck, need you nogs to help  (Read 4214 times)

Super Dipper

• Boost, Boobs, Beers

98 GSR

stock block
CP 9:1's
Eagle rods
ARP head studs
Stock intake manifold/TB
GSR cams

Greddy turbo kit
Hondata S300
550 RC injectors
Stock fuel rail
B&M hacked FPR/Gauge combo
2.5" DP
AEM 3.5 bar map sensor
AEM wideband

The car was tuned back in november and it made 294 at 9 psi. It was a solid tune, car pulled great no issues what so over.

Apparently previous to this, the guy who put the turbo kit on the car made 187 on the same setup and corked 2 pistons in the process of tuning the car....

fast forward to now and the owner of the car brought it to me and he says that its not running right and the AFRs are always showing lean.

he got the motor redone, but can figure out why its still running lean.

when i say lean, i mean sitting at idle the car stumbles and farts around the mid 17:1 - 18 or flatline lean, under part throttle cruise it hovers around 15.5-16.0 and in boost its running around 13.3-13.8

Now when the owner had the car tuned back in nov, i was there for the dyno session and i drove this car with the same setup and it was running quite differently. it idled around 13.3-14.5, part throttle cruise around the mid 14's and it was 12.2-12.5 in boost. very steady,stable tune. now its gone to hell.

I start digging into it and suspected a faulty wideband. AEM doesnt have the best track record so i toss a replacement sensor in, still shows the same wonky readings.

its got a walbro 255 in it and ive had issues with some not having enough voltage so i wire up a relay, and i get a small change at idle but its still lean as fuck throughout the rest of the map.

I decide to swap out the walbro and S300 with a spare set i have lying around, no change. Im down to either faulty injectors or a reg thats taken a shit, but havent had a chance to swap those out for stock to see wtf is going on. We have fucked around with the inital tune on the ecu to see if we get any varience and no registered change is visable on the wideband.

So im at a loss as to wtf is going on. never ran into a stubborn POS that wont cooperate even after swapping stuff out.

Need ur help boys to get this car off my fucking driveway so i can get the mini and AWD CRX done and out of my hair.

Formly Quadtech...

Team 4 MotorSports
Island Speed Lab...+1 Speed is our business 03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged 6psi 97 sunfire GT - Turbo K20a...acquring parts 88 crx - turbo AWD track slut 88 crx turbo lsvtec - RIP

chris

step 1 throw on oem used b series fpr

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads

Fuel filter been changed yet?

Clean Injectors?

Is it burning oil?

If it burns oil it will affect the AFRs.

Is the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator in good shape?

Is the IM mount bolts tight?

Is the TB gasket leaking air behind the throttle plate?

Is the brake booster vacuum line good shape?

Is the charcoal canister purge staying energized all the time?

If I have any more ideas I'll post more. ;D

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note

mabey air temp comp needs to be ajusted?
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

DmC

• Certified OG

mabey air temp comp needs to be ajusted?
That'd the first thing I would have tried before swapping parts. And then like Chris said switch out the fpr for a stock unit. and of coarse you checked for exhuast leaks.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin

If you have a constant misfire, it will read hella lean... Just sayin O0

It could be the fuel pump konking out. Stick a remote gauge on it and see what it reads. Just make sure to use an electronic gauge.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Super Dipper

• Boost, Boobs, Beers

you guys kick ass, i know i can count on you nogs when the dipper runs out of ideas, lol.

Chris: ill swap that out and see if i get any change.
HiProfile: dont have a constant misfire, there is a gauge coming right off the rail reading 50psi base pressure

DMC and Lilpooh: yup checked for exhaust leaks, nothing visable at the turbo to DP or DP to exhaust. the IAT and air temp comp thought was totally bypassed by me. completely forgot about that. ill pop the IAT out and make sure its not gummed up and giving any sort of faulty readings back to the ecu.

92CXyD:
fuel filter has been replaced along with the fuel lines right from the firewall hardline. -6 full flow out of the steel line to a russell -6 full flow fuel filter to the rail. all new.

injectors look clean. they have been in the car since the initial turbo kit was installed and they have now seen 2 blowups im assuming but i didnt see any shit or debris in them, so i cant say for certain if they are clean or dirty. the nozzles looked to be clean and there was no shit in the inlets to the injectors when i did take a quick peak at them.

The motor is new. he had it put in by a local tuner before bringing it to me. its not burning or huffing oil/smoke

i replaced the vac line to the fpr bc it wasnt in good shape.

IM bolts are tight

TB gasket is new(er)

brake booster line is mint

no idea about the charcoal canister. you got me there. lol
Formly Quadtech...

Team 4 MotorSports
Island Speed Lab...+1 Speed is our business 03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged 6psi 97 sunfire GT - Turbo K20a...acquring parts 88 crx - turbo AWD track slut 88 crx turbo lsvtec - RIP

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS

You had to ask?

FYI, a fresh engine is going to run completely different.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle

AFR showing lean, but what do the plugs look like sir?

blowoff valves are for pussies.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J

check the fuel line from the rail to the fuel filter, I used some missmached shit and had good fuel pressure at the filter and blocked off the flow to the rail. Wrong crush washers/wrong hose/rail combo = fucked.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

TheMadScientist

• Certified OG
  • I'm like Batman and Shit

You had to ask?

FYI, a fresh engine is going to run completely different.
[/quote]

Fix that and get a retune. Problem solved.
Why would I not be surprised if your pink slip included "quotquotthen Mr Davis overturned the table while shouting, HOWS THAT FOR FLUID MECHANICS?!"quotquot?

Super Dipper

• Boost, Boobs, Beers

swapped the reg. issue was still present.

pulled out the injectors, swapped with a known good set and bam! cars runs mint.

thx for all the help nogs.  O0
Formly Quadtech...

Team 4 MotorSports
Pages: [1]   Go Up