:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RHMT Radiator Tester  (Read 3782 times)

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
RHMT Radiator Tester
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »

Well my del slut has a problem getting too hot, since the radiator is crustier than Rick P's snatch. So I got a CDM radiator for the Civic, and giving the old one to the del sol. If it can cool a turbo d16, it should work on a stock b16, right?

Since I don't trust the CDM bullshit, I decided I wanted to pressure test it. The auto parts stores rent-a-tool stuff usually blows, and...I have all these spare parts. So I grabbed a random 100psi gauge, spare nipples, and hoes. I didn't have a valve (the air nozzle leaks), so I used a vice-grips and some pennys to clamp the hose. The picture should say it all, and then some:

So far it's held 18psi for half an hour. Since it's dark out, I use the needle's shadow from the flashlight to tell if it moves a fraction of a psi. BTW This isn't a show car - I drive this almost daily to work.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

snm95ls

• Certified OG
Re: RHMT Radiator Tester
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »

Cool way to make sure the valve in your radiator cap works.

:P

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »

I was thinking the same thing...
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:55 AM »

I was thinking the same thing...

this.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »

lol
try squeezing the rad hoses, do they feel like they are holding 18 psi back. :P
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »

Hey I'm no hotrex when it comes to radiators... I put a piece of rubber under the cap so air moves into the system (rubber band so it wouldn't drop in). I also cracked the upper rad hose, and it definately was under pressure. As air leaked out, the pressure on the gauge dropped quick.

Actually I could test the cap, just plug this into the IACV return hose, plug the other side, and go at it. Using another line could leave air bubbles somewhere, making you bleed the system. This was the least invasive way.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »

Well after getting this cdm crap all buttoned up, I realized the cap they gave me really had no lower/inner seal. It would just jet pressure to the overflow tube. And of course, they didn't use the same size cap as the Civic it was made for.

So after a lot of detective work, the cheap cap I got at autozone is the same one they use on EF's and DA's. 32x16mm instead of an EG's 31x10mm cap. I almost want to get the Stant 10361, 19-21psi...

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »

Well after getting this cdm crap all buttoned up, I realized the cap they gave me really had no lower/inner seal. It would just jet pressure to the overflow tube. And of course, they didn't use the same size cap as the Civic it was made for.

So after a lot of detective work, the cheap cap I got at autozone is the same one they use on EF's and DA's. 32x16mm instead of an EG's 31x10mm cap. I almost want to get the Stant 10361, 19-21psi...

Good info. I may try that 10361 on my CDM 2-core. ;D

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:52:58 AM »

I almost want to get the Stant 10361, 19-21psi...

What's stopping you, panties chafing?

The whole idea behind an aluminum radiator is being able to run a higher pressure cap.  Yet, no one does it because they are worthless ricer faggots.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:16 AM »

Also, keep in mind your radiator hoses might not like those pressures.  I have aluminum hard pipe with 3 ply silicone couplers for one of my cars for this exact reason - build thread coming sometime 2017.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »

I'm not racing it, plut it's a single-core double-wide radiator. ATM the 13psi cap I have is doing fine, along with the stock fan. I only go this because my beater needed a rad, and I didn't see much sense getting a new stock rad for a car that won't see another 10k miles. If the other hadn't take a shit, I'd have stayed with the stock radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up