:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The axle building thread (cv axles).  (Read 5837 times)

slappynuts

The axle building thread (cv axles).
« on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

I know this is mainly about VW axles but there seems to be a few companies modifying the VW/Porsche style axles to fit all kinds of cars.

I had my first real axle failure last weekend and I am now looking into a solution. I have been reading up on this style of axle and this is what I have come up with. I have a MK1 with 100mm axles BTW but most of this can be applied to all VWs.

The shafts come in three basic sizes. There are 25,28,and 33 spline shaft sizes and different lengths to fit various cars. The 25 spline seem to be early rabbit and possibly early MK2 with 90mm CVs. 28spline seem to be the MK2 and late MK1 shafts and the 33 spline seem to be in everything after that.

The CVs themselves are 90mm,100mm,108mm,and 128mm. These come in a gigantic variety of BMW,audi,vw,mercedes,and many other cars. For the most part you can mix and match your inners and outers for whatever suits your fancy as long as you get the ones for the shaft you have.

Now here is the interesting part. Because of the abundance of parts available the mixing and matching in the aftermarket (but still stock oem replacement) parts is pretty interesting. I have a MK1 with 33 spline shafts. Why is this the never made those? Well it would seem that it was cheaper for them to use left over MK3 parts to build the axles and just put them on a shorter shaft.

So wana build some heavier axles? That is what this is all about anyways right?

Here is what I plan on doing. Because I have the 33 spline shafts alread this gives me the option of going to the junkyard and getting some larger outer CVs and putting them on my shaft. To do this I have to get the matching wheel hub that comes from whatever car I get these from. Then I have to machine them down on the lathe so they fit into the MK1 wheel bearing. I will also have to re drill the hubs to four bolt so I can fit my four by 100mm wheels and brakes.

So tomorrow im going to get some VR6 outer CVs and hubs and put them in my car.There may be some other options as well from the audis but I know there are some of these down at the local pick your part and I also know these will be the easiest.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
Re: The axle building thread (cv axles).
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »

Sounds interesting. But where is the god damn pictures?
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »

Well, theres the car anyway...

I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »

What size outer does the corrado g60 have?  I know they already have4x100 hubs...  Idk if they're 33 spline/large outer cv though... 

slappynuts

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »

What size outer does the corrado g60 have?  I know they already have4x100 hubs...  Idk if they're 33 spline/large outer cv though... 

The 33 spline part refers to the shaft and CVs. Its the stub axle that is too small on my car and thats what twisted off. Unfortunatly its the same size as the corrado G60. Now here is what I am looking for. I need to find the largest 4 bolt FWD car we can find so I can redrill the wheel hubs to 4 by 100mm and tig on a flange that matches the axles.This is the part the will interest you guys. The same thing can be done for any FWD car(yes hondas).

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »

Now here is what I am looking for. I need to find the largest 4 bolt FWD car we can find so I can redrill the wheel hubs to 4 by 100mm and tig on a flange that matches the axles.This is the part the will interest you guys. The same thing can be done for any FWD car(yes hondas).

So largest as in like a 4 x 122? or hub diameter or inside diameter or?

If it is just bolt spacing I know some old subi's and some peugeot's (505 iirc) ran a 4x140 pattern.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:59:01 PM by dvst8r »
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

slappynuts

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »

We take this as a starting point and tig some stubs and outputs shafts to the flanges that bolt to them.

Before we do that though we find a big thick stub axle and wheel hub that we can redrill to four bolt and turn down on the lathe to fit into the wheel bearing of whatever we are trying to stick this axle into.

like this.

slappynuts

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »

Now here is what I am looking for. I need to find the largest 4 bolt FWD car we can find so I can redrill the wheel hubs to 4 by 100mm and tig on a flange that matches the axles.This is the part the will interest you guys. The same thing can be done for any FWD car(yes hondas).

So largest as in like a 4 x 122? or hub diameter or inside diameter or?

If it is just bolt spacing I know some old subi's and some peugeot's (505 iirc) ran a 4x140 pattern.

The one that will accept the largest and strongest stub axle.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »

I don't know enough about the CV axle scene to give you the info you are looking for, but the budget Honda upgrade is to put Accord outers on Integra CV shafts.  At that point you can grab any DX/Si/EX/Integra/etc hub and get busy with it.  Hubs are still a failure item for us, but not at your power level in under 2-3 years of daily driver flogging.  The splined stub that goes through the hub will still shear off the outer joint housing, but again not at your power level even when launching on slicks.  I've got some friends on low torque 400 whp setups (D-series, analogous to what you have) that have been using the same stock D-series axles for years.

Hope that helps.  Always nice to see the stuff you get into.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:35:53 PM by Joseph Davis »

slappynuts

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »

Running 1.6 60' in a chassis that was never meant to do so always posses its challenges. My final solution for my car should be just as valuable for the honda guys though because I know alot of the locals are having the same problems I am.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »

Running 1.6 60' in a chassis that was never meant to do so always posses its challenges. My final solution for my car should be just as valuable for the honda guys though because I know alot of the locals are having the same problems I am.

Dr.D ran std 4spd stock axles, he was always cutting 1.6 60'. From what I remember out of a few 100 passes he only broke one!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »

That's not shabby at all.  Those are the exact same axle as the other D-series, just has a smaller splined outer joint.

Did he wring the splined shaft that goes through the hub when they broke?

Also, Doctor B, arer you dealing with OEM or china reman axles?  I've been through some china remans that would break in stock 80 crank hp form because the shafts are overly hardened.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »

That's not shabby at all.  Those are the exact same axle as the other D-series, just has a smaller splined outer joint.

Did he wring the splined shaft that goes through the hub when they broke?

Also, Doctor B, arer you dealing with OEM or china reman axles?  I've been through some china remans that would break in stock 80 crank hp form because the shafts are overly hardened.

He runs oem axles that people throw out. Only reason it broke was the car shifted in the burn out box (stock non lsd owns), he stick welded it back and went home :yes:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »

Genuine Honda axles tend to get work hardened & naturally stress relieved in the right way after a few thousand miles. They also have the balance ring on them, which the lack of causes many headaches on CDM axles. I'm not sure if I ever saw a Honda axle break anywhere besides the base of the hub splines. It'd be nice to see a custom Civic/Teg hub made to adapt to that sort of CV joint pictured.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

slappynuts

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

Genuine Honda axles tend to get work hardened & naturally stress relieved in the right way after a few thousand miles. They also have the balance ring on them, which the lack of causes many headaches on CDM axles. I'm not sure if I ever saw a Honda axle break anywhere besides the base of the hub splines. It'd be nice to see a custom Civic/Teg hub made to adapt to that sort of CV joint pictured.

Thats kinda the plan but if we are going to do that with a non stock outer joint lets use something much larger then came stock.One that is cheap and could never be broken. I know the S2000 ones use a rear drive ford (cobra?) or something like that. I guess the only real limits are how much ID you have on your inner wheel bearing. So what is the size bearing on the civics?
Pages: [1]   Go Up