:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Poll

how often you change the oil in your boosted car?

2500 miles
- 5 (18.5%)
3000 miles
- 13 (48.1%)
4500 miles
- 6 (22.2%)
7500 miles
- 2 (7.4%)
12000 miles
- 1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil change intervals?  (Read 8580 times)

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
Re: oil change intervals?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »

Here we go with the mobil1 bashing again. Sigh. Seriously you guys do realize there are different blends for different weight oils correct? With that being said, PORSCHE recommends Mobil1 0w-40 in all their cars. Take into account, the minimum replacement price for most of these engines is $15k. Do you seriously think the company what has tthe best reliability ratings out of ANYONE on the planet right now, does so with crap oil in their warranty-guaranteed engines? I have replaced ONE engine in seven years due to oil failure, as it turned out the lady thought she only had to change the oild every 25k lol, and that engine made it to 50k before spinning the int. Shaft out the block. BDVT, you have experienced a catastrophic engine failure at the hands of mobil1, and that sucks. But there are several thousand 600+whp 911 turbos out there who have never experienced problems, and run 0w-40, which for the record I run in all my cars, and have for the last 6 years. I would agree that most the other blends are gov mandated detergent crap, as is most everything. Most synthetics are manufactured to the SAME specs (its called base stock, google if you don't believe) with the important stuff added later, like phosphorous, zinc, etc. How much of the good stuff depends on how they want to sell it.

Personally, owning nothing but turbo cars and driving a total of maybe 15 miles a day, I change my oil every 2k miles. Reason= contamination. Extra fuel from the warm up phase, and moisture build up from never getting the car warm enough long enough to vaporize it being the key reasons here. I also use bg107, which is basically a can of more o the same additives used to bring the oil to spec in the first place.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »

Is the valvetrain in a Porsche the same as DOHC VTAK Hondurs?

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

Is the valvetrain in a Porsche the same as DOHC VTAK Hondurs?

No, they aren't. Its an inferior design to the honda, since the cam lobes themselves don't have designated oil supply from oil bleeding off the rockers. They rely on splash from the oil returns in the head, despite the dry sump.

I recogzine the fact that spiker's engine isn't typical, and he is welcome to his opinion as I am mine. I'm simply stating a perspective, not throwing in lab results.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »

Twas an honest question with no other motive than to explore the differences between the engines.

So they do no use a roller follower?

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »

Here we go with the mobil1 bashing again. Sigh. Seriously you guys do realize there are different blends for different weight oils correct? With that being said, PORSCHE recommends Mobil1 0w-40 in all their cars. Take into account, the minimum replacement price for most of these engines is $15k. Do you seriously think the company what has tthe best reliability ratings out of ANYONE on the planet right now, does so with crap oil in their warranty-guaranteed engines? I have replaced ONE engine in seven years due to oil failure, as it turned out the lady thought she only had to change the oild every 25k lol, and that engine made it to 50k before spinning the int. Shaft out the block. BDVT, you have experienced a catastrophic engine failure at the hands of mobil1, and that sucks. But there are several thousand 600+whp 911 turbos out there who have never experienced problems, and run 0w-40, which for the record I run in all my cars, and have for the last 6 years. I would agree that most the other blends are gov mandated detergent crap, as is most everything. Most synthetics are manufactured to the SAME specs (its called base stock, google if you don't believe) with the important stuff added later, like phosphorous, zinc, etc. How much of the good stuff depends on how they want to sell it.

Personally, owning nothing but turbo cars and driving a total of maybe 15 miles a day, I change my oil every 2k miles. Reason= contamination. Extra fuel from the warm up phase, and moisture build up from never getting the car warm enough long enough to vaporize it being the key reasons here. I also use bg107, which is basically a can of more o the same additives used to bring the oil to spec in the first place.

SIr:  I dont give a shit how something performs in 90 percent  of what its in when my shit is in the other 10.

FUCKYOU

:-*
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

jabberwock

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »

I wonder.. are OEM Porsche valvetrain parts perhaps hardened for use with modern lower zinc oils?

Diesel oils... million mile engines with slopped out clearances and heavy reciprocating masses, ignition system?  Detonation.  Skeet in your mini wheats.

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:44 AM »

pics of fucked up cam/rockers tomorrow?......  :'(
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 06:02:42 AM »

None. But Its not a terribly unique situation and pics arent hard to come by. Exhaust rocklers (esp VTAK) were HAMMERED with Troughs worn into them BAD on the VTEC lobed... Cams themseloves were fucked too, but the rockers were the most visibly impacted component. 

Intakes were a lil messed uup, but nowhere NEAR like the EX.

---GFI we build FAST---

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »

sorry, i meant ill have some pics. my VTEC lobe on exhaust #1 is chewed...  :-\
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »

That nasty brown example is not in my motor by the way... LOL.  :mexi:

---GFI we build FAST---
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up