:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: hotrod gets 1200hp out of a stock bottom end 4.8LSX  (Read 5718 times)

Lowerit

• Certified OG
fuck you

jabberwock

Re: hotrod gets 1200hp out of a stock bottom end 4.8LSX
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »

Fuck that's cool.

Aluminum heads are a wonderful thing.. I wish I could find one for my Jeep that didn't cost $2k.  I could probably have one machined for that much.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

old news
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »

old news
+1 but still a good read with those motors getting cheaper by the day.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »

Fuck that's cool.

Aluminum heads are a wonderful thing.. I wish I could find one for my Jeep that didn't cost $2k.  I could probably have one machined for that much.

If you can keep the iron HO head cool, it's a beautiful thing.

For $1200-1500 and some hustle you can swap in an LR5 or LM7, interfaced with your NP231, and running.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »

Interesting that all they did was regap the rings. I loved the line "the old rings cleaned up OKAY. We reused them."

Fuck building a crazy Honda. I'll just make my old bird the unholy terror that I can legally drive w/o a seatbelt.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:55:17 AM »

This article has me torn between a 6.0L and 6bt for my 90 Silverado.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »

The 6bt will make more on pump fuel, and will get better mileage doing it.

The 6L will make more power overall (if you take it that far), and will be cheaper to get there.

I would be very torn as well, as they are my two favorite current budget platforms.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »

The 6L will make more power overall (if you take it that far), and will be cheaper to get there.

I would be very torn as well, as they are my two favorite current budget platforms.

My yukon needs boost :evil:

I wonder if the 6.0L will make 1000hp on stock short block :noel:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

My yukon needs boost :evil:

I wonder if the 6.0L will make 1000hp on stock short block :noel:

It may or it may not kind of a craps shoot, as in the article you should loosen up the ring gaps. If you are in that far, I would spend the extra couple dollars and put ARP con rod bolts in too.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

The article basically gave the motor all the bolt-ons possible. Otherwise they'd be shoving so much shit in there to get an extra HP that it probably would have taken it out earlier. They just wanted to see how well the rods/pistons/crank fared as the weakest link. They probably spent $3500+ on the parts & motor, but people spend 2x that on a stock ITR swap that makes 1/5 the power.

We already know a 6L can last a while at 600whp, if mr chevelle's motor is any indication. At that point you'll want to spend more money elsewhere before making more power.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »

I don't have plans of getting too crazy. If I go 6.0L, I think stock with bolt ons power will be fine. If I go 6bt, I'll just raise boost to get 300hp and call it a day. This truck is not a toy in any sense of the word. It does 70% of its driving with a car trailer attached and the other 30% to and from home depot. For now it has a 270hp crate 350 with the stock TBI and a half assed tune. I think I'll actually finish the tune this weekend, a year of shitty driving has gotten old.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »

I'd probably budget rig a truck motor, Pro Products IM and shelf cam with a single streetable snail.

Kaszowski linked me a while back to a Garrett (or Precision?) 76mm vs CXRacing china 76mm comparo.  IIRC at the 700whp level the CX unit took 4 psi more to make the same power, and the IATs were something like 20-30 deg F higher.  And since we're touching on the subject, if you're wondering why Hotrod chose a china turbo... if the motor blows chunks out the exhaust it kills the turbo(s).  CX probably donated those, vs having to purchase...

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »

I don't have plans of getting too crazy. If I go 6.0L, I think stock with bolt ons power will be fine. If I go 6bt, I'll just raise boost to get 300hp and call it a day. This truck is not a toy in any sense of the word. It does 70% of its driving with a car trailer attached and the other 30% to and from home depot. For now it has a 270hp crate 350 with the stock TBI and a half assed tune. I think I'll actually finish the tune this weekend, a year of shitty driving has gotten old.

300hp P7100 6bt is just free pump mods. Only thing I would recommend buying is a 4k gov spring kit, but a washer mod 3k kit would get you there for free as well. In a half ton I would suspect you should get 22-24mpg on the highway out of it. I get 18-19mpg on the highway hand calculated in my dually.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »

Yea, the small amount of research I have done tells me I should get everything I want out of the 6bt for very little cash..... after the initial engine/tranny investment.

The swaps seem very comparable cost wise, but the 6.0l has the added benefit of getting fuel everywhere, but at a slight loss of mpg I'm sure. Then again, the efi needed to run the 6.0 might kill me where with the 6bt I will just need to control the glow plugs.
obd1>gtgtall

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

No glowplugs on 6bt's there is a grid heater, and it is soleniod. Living in Florida I doubt you would ever use it anyway, Trevor72 lives in Kamloops here in Canada and doesn't have one in his truck. The only day he has had an issue was when he came to visit me and it went down to -38 that night. Where he is it gets down to 0F fairly regularly and he has never had an issue starting his truck.

For you it should be a one wire to lift the fuel plunger, and one wire for the starter, and one wire for the alternator.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:24 PM »

I am quite the diesel noob, but what actually starts the combustion process then? I was always under the impression glow plugs lit it off at first, the it ran on its own after that.
obd1>gtgtall

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »

I am quite the diesel noob, but what actually starts the combustion process then? I was always under the impression glow plugs lit it off at first, the it ran on its own after that.

Glow plugs are only used to warm up the charge to make it easier to auto ignite.

No spark  :noel:

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »

It is the 18:1 CR that lights it off. It heats the air nice and hot compressing it that much, then spray in a fine mist of diesel at ~5000psi (for the p7100) and you get combustion.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

I need more 6Bt in my life.

:(

robus

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »

Kaszowski linked me a while back to a Garrett (or Precision?) 76mm vs CXRacing china 76mm comparo.  IIRC at the 700whp level the CX unit took 4 psi more to make the same power, and the IATs were something like 20-30 deg F higher.  And since we're touching on the subject, if you're wondering why Hotrod chose a china turbo... if the motor blows chunks out the exhaust it kills the turbo(s).  CX probably donated those, vs having to purchase...
I've just been reading about it here:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1105_592hp_46l_2v_motor_for_2298/custom_air_to_water_intercooler.html#

On another note, why not a Holset? They're easily found with a large enough hotside, can be found for much less than a garrett or precision.
Please note: This came from the home of a cigar smoker who had dogs. If you have any allergies, please don'#39#39t bid

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »

I've just been reading about it here:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1105_592hp_46l_2v_motor_for_2298/custom_air_to_water_intercooler.html#

On another note, why not a Holset? They're easily found with a large enough hotside, can be found for much less than a garrett or precision.

In that hotrod comparison, it isn't apples to apples. The precision unit has a larger turbine wheel, larger A/R, and larger flange according to the article. Thus making it a more efficient turbo for relative boost. I still doubt the cdm turbo is fully as good as the precision, but they are closer then what we are lead to believe in this article.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »

It is the 18:1 CR that lights it off. It heats the air nice and hot compressing it that much, then spray in a fine mist of diesel at ~5000psi (for the p7100) and you get combustion.

I guess I didn't realize it would get that hot. I guess with the fuel being atomized so much it doesn't take a lot to ignite. I'm really thinking the 6bt is a better swap for my needs. 4" exhaust and no muffler would sound real nice too.
obd1>gtgtall

79fairmont

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »

I'd probably budget rig a truck motor, Pro Products IM and shelf cam with a single streetable snail.

Irish Fuck!

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

I need more 6Bt in my life.

:(

Everyone does. Most have no idea.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »

Can you diesel faggots get your own thread?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »

both engines could go into my truck and be useful, its relevant.
obd1>gtgtall

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »

How about you start your own thread about Ford boat anchors.

;DDD

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »

;DDD

You mean my dream of installing Duratechs in place of inferior offerings by non-Ford automakers?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »

;DDD

You mean my dream of installing Duratechs in place of inferior offerings by non-Ford automakers?

You really are a masochist aren't you?

Ecobosst > Duracrap.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up