:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fucking turbos fucked the fuck up!  (Read 3694 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Fucking turbos fucked the fuck up!
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »

So been running 27-28 pounds on my gt3271 and yesterday it took a shit. At idle it would pouring blue smoke out the exhaust, smoked in boost too. I pulled the plugs, they were fine. Intercooler piping was fine. So figured it must be leaking out the turbine side of the turbo. Yeap. Turbo had axial and radial play in it, though comp wheel looked ok before I took the turbo apart. But took it apart and the comp wheel has rubbed the housing.  :'( It doesn't look too bad so I'm wondering if I just take the burs off the wheel and sand the housing, new bearings and seals, would it last? Or do I need a new wheel and housing? Never rebuilt a turbo so not sure what can slide and what can't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: Fucking turbos fucked the fuck up!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Sell it and buy 2 holsets for the price of your busted gt32. But If it were me I would get a new wheel rather than run one that might be out of balance once sanded down/de burred.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

Sell it and buy 2 holsets for the price of your busted gt32. But If it were me I would get a new wheel rather than run one that might be out of balance once sanded down/de burred.

yeah looks like new turbo time. called g pop shop to order a rebuild kit, got to talking to him, and he said the rebuild kit won't fix the oil problem. He said I would need to send it in, they would have to do some machining on the bearing housing, and that would be 550 minimum to have it fixed and that's without putting a new comp wheel on it, which he said he didn't think he could get that exact one. Basically paperweight according to him, it would cost more to fix than to replace.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »

Twin scroll holset!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

well I have a twin scroll already, it's just the thrust bearings are blue.  :noel:

I went ahead and ordered the rebuild kit anyways. Guy at g pop said its still going to leak oil, but it should boost. So gonna do that for now till I decide what turbo to put on it. I want something bigger than a hx35, from what comp maps i've seen for that turbo, it's basically a little bigger than what I have now.

What's the next step up from an hx35?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

HX35/40 or do what UI did and go HX52.  :noel:

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »

Russ where the hell did you dig that up its like trying to read a math problem on the abacus.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

Russ where the hell did you dig that up its like trying to read a math problem on the abacus.

It's easy to read, it show the basic sizing of Holset turbo family  :noel:

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »

No way a large shaft turbo just died.  You probably had a boost leak, she spun herself to death.

Shaft is worn as much as the bearings is the most likely outcome.  Also, turbo out of balance due to comp wheel being eaten on.  Housings eaten into.  She's scrap metal, bro.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

Sell it to me dirty cheap for my GRM $2013 build. I need something better than this chingchong t3/to4e
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »

Well that sucks.

I've been wanting to buy the divided 50trim from APTuning.net for a while, but never really had the car ready for it so far. THey seem to have great pricing, very big selection (similar to ATPturbo), and decent service from what I found. My old bookmark is over 2 yrs old, so they're no fly-by-night joint, and I recall seeing good things about them on some rotary forum. Haven't checked lately.

http://www.aptuning.net/Borg_Warner_and_Garrett_Turbos_s/48.htm
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up