:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable generator troubleshooting  (Read 1751 times)

turbostd

• Certified OG
portable generator troubleshooting
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

I just picked up a coleman powermate 1000w generator off a guy for a whole $10. It had been sitting around in his garage for ~10 years. Brought it home tore the carb down and cleaned the funk out of it and the motor runs fine. Only thing is it dose not put out lol. It only outputs 0.1v ac. Anyone know where to start trouble shooting this thing?

turbostd

• Certified OG
Re: portable generator troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

checked the stators, one is 15ohm and one is 5 ohm. How do I test the cap and rectifier?

accordepicenter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »

I bet the brushes on the slip rings on the rotor are either dirty or bad

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »

you overpaid.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

stealthiskey

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »

Does it have a battery?  Need something to excite the primary coils, maybe a battery, would probably be dead by now if it did have one.

blade8r

• Rhapsodic Sinner
  • insolant bastard
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »

i assume this is a single phase generator. (although i have seen some 3 phase generator when i was back in the military that were only 1k generator.) anyways. i would check to see the brushes in the coils are getting polarity contact. you could trace back accordingly.

it would be best if you can get a diagram schematic of the unit (if possible). however, if you don't you have one to look at then you're pretty much shit out of luck and have to guess what each circuit does and check to see where the electrical cut is at.

Back way when, i was working on 200k generators. their problems were always mechanical, something albiet easy to fix. i never really had an electrical issue so hard to fix that i couldn't find out or figure out what it would be. although i had schematics of each and every thing i could need to figure it out and the tools to test and to do so.

i would first see if the generator coil(s) have any output at all (with a durring operation testing). If they are bad then you paid too much money for the thing and just pull the motor and junk the rest. use the engine for whatever you like.

it would also do good to test the voltage regulator, (if bad you can replace that with an aftermarket one. (you can even use one from a car like the old 72 ford that had them on the chassis.) Test the Hard lines to the receptical. and so on and so on.

good luck
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:17:10 PM by blade8r »

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

As far as I can tell this thing is brushless and uses a capacitor for regulation instead of a normal voltage regulator. All the coils ohm out ok so its something in the excitation circuit that is messed up. I think its the capacitor that is used to excite the 120 windings but I have not been able to find a scmatic for this thing yet.

Anyhow if i cant get it working I will just use the motor to build my own. I have a high amp gm alternator and a 1500w inverter sitting here so all I would need is a deep cycle battery.

blade8r

• Rhapsodic Sinner
  • insolant bastard
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »

oh well. good luck on the non generator project. good luck.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »

use the engine for whatever you like.

I vote motorized scooter/skateboard
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up