:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 90 Silverado Manual to Auto Swap  (Read 3495 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
90 Silverado Manual to Auto Swap
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

I am gathering parts now to put a 700r4 in my 90 Silverado. It currently has the NV3500. I know I know, why would anyone swap manual to auto. I hate towing with a manual and I hate backing a trailer up with a manual even more. Since 90% of my truck driving is towing, I'm switching. So, don't waste your time asking why or trying to talk me into sticking manual.  :P

Ok, hopefully someone knows stuff about both trannys. Length? Is there any chance they are both the same length in 2wd form? Along the same lines, I have the 700r4 that has more splines(dont remember the number, 30 maybe), I can't imagine the NV3500 also has 30 splines, could it? I'm really hoping I can reuse my driveshaft. I don't mind changing the yoke to make it work. I'm just too cheap to buy another shaft.

I'm trying to stay away from changing the column. Anyone ever seen a truck with a floor shifter? I happen to already have a big ass hole in the floor of my truck, might as well put a shifter thought it.

I'm expecting to modify the tranny x-member. I figure I'll buy a mount for my truck with 700r4, then make it work with the original x-member. I own fab tools. Any other thoughts, concerns, suggestions? I'm by no means afraid of the swap, but not being too familiar with it, I figure I'll do what I can to gain info.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: 90 Silverado Manual to Auto Swap
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

90's chev trucks are a dime a dozen, why waste your time, sell that one and buy an auto one.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »

i really like this one. body is straight, frame isnt bent between the cab and bed like 90% of them around here, i already put a crate 350 with 4 bolt mains in it.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »

Early 90s Chevy trucks in nice shape are rare, and command a little bit of money around here.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

this one is super clean other than needing paint. no rust at all, one or 2 very minor dents.
obd1>gtgtall

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »

Does anything rust in Florida?
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »

Nissan Z cars
obd1>gtgtall

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »

Back to your questions, 700r4 is 30 3/4" bellhousing to tailshaft, so I'm sure you can roll under your truck and figure out how long your nv3500 is and compare. It is much better for you if the 700r4 is longer especially if you need the yolk changed as you likely will. It is typically very minimal cost to have a shaft shorted when the yolk is being changed at the same time.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »

Being somewhat of a noob to rwd, can driveshaft places modify aluminum as easy as steel? My current shaft is aluminum. It's huge so I imagine handling the torque isn't an issue.
obd1>gtgtall

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »

yes they can mod it. But I believe it cost more.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »

Yes they can, as was mentioned it does cost more, get a couple quotes if it is going to be a lot, I would go find a drive shaft from a 700r4 vehicle in the JY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up