:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bore dial indicator gauge?  (Read 4741 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
bore dial indicator gauge?
« on: June 18, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6-Dial-Bore-Gage-Set-0-0005-Grad-Part-714-755-NEW-/161064490169?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item25803114b9

I'm looking for a tool to measure cylinder bores to check the size. make sure they are round or close enough. taper. etc.

is that what I'm needing? I would like something to do several bore sizes. 75-81-84-87... maybe bigger but those off the top of my head. prefer to be in mm and not inch. but whatever.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
Re: bore dial indicator gauge?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »

Imperial is generally more accurate but that's the tool you're looking for.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

If Im just doing quick and dirty bore checks I use t-gages and a digital caliper.

If you are looking at runout or taper of bore then that tool would be what you want.

Maybe a better manufacture like Brown and Sharpe or one of high end Japanese made ones.

Waiting for Rawr to chime in or better yet Weir or Passenger since they probably play with these gages a lot.  :noel:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:56:44 PM by 92CXyD »

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »

I went with one that was 1.4-6 range so I could do rod and main bearings.
Also got a set of micrometers for the crank etc.

I suck at using them and don't trust my measurements haha

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »

well I'm just looking to rebuild some 20yo engines for some more life. or just check them to make sure they are good for another round of use... I have built so many without even checking, but if I sell some I would prefer to make sure they are just fooked before slapping them together and shipping them out...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:44:44 AM »

What you posted is what you need to check roudness and taper but it won't measure a nominal size so youre going to have to pick a point to delta your measurement (think tare on a scale) and be consistent with where you delta'd your measurement since that is your reference point. These bore gages are finicky and measuring cylinders, while it isn't hard it takes some technique. Just make sure that while using it you move it around side to side to find your smallest point to make sure the gage is perpendicular to the cylinder then try to find your largest point while kind of rotating it with your fingers for the best results. If the indicator on top sucks replace it with a better one. That's all that get calibrated on these kits since they're always referenced in use.

if those are used to check a nominal size you'll need gage blocks to set your reference on (buy a old used set of square blocks with some larger parallels and accessories like rods and screws) or if youre going to be working with the same bore or within a few thou or whatever you can buy a ring gage for your nominal but buying multiple sizes of ring gages will get expensive really quick. You can even use a micrometer but if you do youre limiting your accuracy by about .001 or .0001 right off the start depending on the mic used.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:47:57 AM by rawr »

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »

My guess is Dustin just wants to check if the bore is w/in spec for roundness & taper. Zero the gauge on the side of the bore them see how much the front/rear measurement. Top-notch blueprinting & honing may require exact dimensions, but rebuilding only needs clearances to be found.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »

I am aware but explaned how to get nominals anyway

DSharp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »

I bought a harbor freight 1.4-6 digital bore gauge back in 09 for building engines.  I was very surprised at how consistent it was and the precision it would measure.  I don't usually like cheap measuring tools, but this one is an exception.  They don't sell them anymore though.
looks just like this.
No escape from the mass mind rape
Pages: [1]   Go Up